Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is a return from a different (US) city likely to be more expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:07 am
Original Poster

(Asking as dates in question not quite available yet)

For SWMBO's birthday next year, she'd like to do a Nashville/New Orleans trip... my aim is to plan it so we fly into Nashville, then road-trip south, returning back from New Orleans.
But are "different return airports" likely to be notably more expensive? To the point where returning to Nashville (either return drive over a couple of days, or an internal flight) offset the cost?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No, it will typically combine as two half returns so no additional cost at all.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Booking at the earliest possible opportunity, unless rewards flights, is often not best value, so perhaps not best to jump as soon as released
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Booking at the earliest possible opportunity, unless rewards flights, is often not best value, so perhaps not best to jump as soon as released
Ah yes, well reminded... I seem to recall reading somewhere that 3 months out was "price-optimal" (?) although that's probably a bit late for me, I'd agree that off-the-bat is perhaps worth avoiding
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
Ah yes, well reminded... I seem to recall reading somewhere that 3 months out was "price-optimal" (?) although that's probably a bit late for me, I'd agree that off-the-bat is perhaps worth avoiding
There is not really a hard time for when is the best time to book, but you tend to pay more if you book very early or very late.

Over the past year, Nashville tended to be cheapest when booked 9 months out, with the lowest fares ranging between Ł1.4k and Ł1.7k return in Club. New Orleans was 8 months out, with the lowest fares ranging between Ł1.4k and Ł1.8k. Details at speedbird.online.

As with all things in life: Past performance is not a guide to future performance. Especially not when last year was a year such as last year.
etiene and jowlymonster like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
to make it easier on myself when i want to plan an openjaw booking i ususally use google flights to toy with the city pairs and dates before having to deal with the BA.com booking tool until i know exactly which flights i want given how terrible ba.com can be, especially with open jaw bookings.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Fortress hubs can get a little weird sometimes. But New Orleans is a competitive airport and the dominant carrier in Nashville-Southwest- doesn’t do transatlantic so it’s not an issue here.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Have you priced out the one-way rental car? I priced out a different city pair in the US and the price was astronomical.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Have you priced out the one-way rental car? I priced out a different city pair in the US and the price was astronomical.
Sometimes it's a bargain, if the season is right, and driving against the prevailing one-way traffic. You can't know those bargains in advance, so it's best to "reserve" several options -- they're not binding.
N1120A likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Sometimes it's a bargain, if the season is right, and driving against the prevailing one-way traffic. You can't know those bargains in advance, so it's best to "reserve" several options -- they're not binding.
Though there are some that are pretty predictable like the companies trying to move fleets into Arizona and Florida around the November Thanksgiving holiday and then out of those states in late April/early May.
N1120A likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Car rentals are going to be a little unpredictable. The supply is slowly getting back to where it needs to be, but keep an eye out. Since rentals are always cancelable, some pro active booking might make sense.

Open jaws are fairly easy on BA. Sometimes can even be advantageous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.