Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to OGG - routing advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
LHR to OGG - routing advice wanted

I would like some input please on some flight change options when we (Mrs ST and I) fly in J to Maui in February 2022. Everything is crossed that this happens and I am feeling positive right now.

We were originally booked LHR - SEA - OGG as a one (long day) trip : London to Seattle – BA 53 17 Feb 2022, 09:40–11:35 then Seattle to Kahului – BA 7531, 16:00–20:05. The logic was that we wanted to get to Maui in a shortish time, arriving not too late, but allowing enough time to get through immigration and any 'covid' requirements when heading to Hawaii (which was a guess when we booked way back in March 2021). Unsurprisingly the BA flight was cancelled a while ago, so we have a "free hit" flight change.

Our options as we see it are

1. the BA auto re-book option of LHR SEA OGG with BA and AS on the later flights the same day (connection is 1hr 50 - with an obvious Covid test question (when would that be done?) and indeed immigration hold ups as we will be entering the US on a new Esta). Arrives 2230 so we won't get to our hotel until at least midnight (not ideal obviously).

There are other AA options for single day trips but we now think it would be prudent to build in an overnight to allow for Covid testing and additional queuing etc either for departure or arrival. Hence option 2 would be...

2. take the same route but shift LHR SEA to the day before and get the 0800 SEA OGG flight on the 17th. Which would be on a 789 (non CS currently) and an A321 with AS. But would give enough time for immigration and a Covid test ready for the next morning. That flight to OGG lands at 1220 so a plus.

or thinking differently we could opt Option 3:

3. Pick LHR DFW (16th) with BA193 which is currently a 777 CS flight and reading the runes could be an A350, that leaves LHR at a comfortable 12.15 arr 1635, and on the 17th take AA7, on a 777 so lie flat seats, to OGG (arr 13.15 so good for transfer to hotel). Would allow lots of time for pre-boarding food and drink at T5, landing and immigration and an on-airport Covid test (at $199 each, ouch) that evening ready for the next day.

As BA silvers we'll get lounge access so anything about differences between lounges with AS at SEA and AA at DFW and/or terminal arrival locations might also have a small bearing (essentially we are looking for the most comfortable option wherever possible).

There may be other options (clearly via LAX is one but I can't find anything bar A321s on that route)?

There are still a whole bunch of questions in our minds about what exactly we need for Covid test to get to Hawaii but I'll head over to other threads to work that out.

So anyone with experience of the routings (as much as anyone can be given the pause over the last 18 months) please let me know what option you would pick.

I don't intend to re-book/confirm until after Christmas to avoid even more schedule changes. We are fortunate that apart from the need to arrive on the 17th (for a hotel booking we'd rather not cancel), we can be flexible with times - hence asking for your collective wisdom on the routings now to get our 'best' choice when I have to listen to the hold music.

[[BTW we are TP optimising on the way back going OGG LAX JFK LHR but aren't so keen on the way out though we wouldn't rule out another 140 'free'.]]
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:37 am

I would go LHR-DFW-OGG and have lie flat comfort all the way.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
I did it three times through LAX, it's a very, very long day esp. in economy on the second leg in a SH aircraft. Look closely at the DFW option.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dnajockey
I did it three times through LAX, it's a very, very long day esp. in economy on the second leg in a SH aircraft. Look closely at the DFW option.
Yes as we've paid for J for both legs, getting a padded upright seat for a 5-6 hour flight is sub-optimal. I don't know how AA (and others) get away with calling it "First".
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our 3 ventures to Hawaii were 3-day outbounds (starting with JER-UK-DUB) so I won’t comment on your proposed route.

However, I do recall reading somewhere that Hawaii has some awkward Covid restrictions for visitors. Was it quarantine-related? You will definitely need to explore the State’s current and planned regulations.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by T8191
Our 3 ventures to Hawaii were 3-day outbounds (starting with JER-UK-DUB) so I won’t comment on your proposed route.

However, I do recall reading somewhere that Hawaii has some awkward Covid restrictions for visitors. Was it quarantine-related? You will definitely need to explore the State’s current and planned regulations.
here is the thread about Hawaii Safe Travels testing requirements :

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...travelers.html
T8191, BoeBus, 2BGO and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:17 am

If you can get the DFW option go with that.

I’ve done via LAX a few times and it’s on an A321. I find overnighting at LAX a bit of pain since you have to take shuttles to hotels and the terminal AA use for HI flights is pretty basic.

Please update this thread once you’ve sorted your flights - I’m doing something very similar in April.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex

Most of my trips pre-Covid were LHR-LAX-OGG with an overnight at LAX and early departure for OGG. Maybe it's me getting too old but I struggle to do it in one go and it helps with the jetlag too.
Hilton LAX had good rates in the past with convenient and frequent shuttle to the terminal. I can't comment on the domestic LAX-OGG leg and lie flat seats since I always flew it in Y (Hawaii is expensive as it is, especially if you do several trips per year). Maybe one day..
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Beyond a shadow of doubt, take the LHR - DFW flight, and the DFW - OGG flight the next day. You will be guaranteed a very nice lie flat seat on the DFW-OGG flight and a decent meal, and snack. Covid testing can be done on airport after you arrive from London. You can test until quite late into the evening, and early the next morning if need be. For the most relaxing journey stay at the DFW Grand Hyatt literally part of the AA terminal. The most expensive option but well worth it. Get up the next morning, take the elevators down to the check in desks. You will arrive in the best possible shape with this route. I would take the later OGG flight arriving about 3:30pm, you will get a better meal on that one, lunch instead of breakfast. Also, gives you some contingency for the Covid test in case you need to get it the morning of the OGG flight.

EDIT to add: If you want the lie flat seats from DFW in February then you need to get it booked ASAP. The fights are very busy at that time of year.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

Currently, the confusion for visitors from the UK is that although you can enter the US mainland if double vaccinated with a UK administered negative Covid test, the catch for Hawaii is that you must have been double vaccinated IN THE USA, or have a Covid test administered by an approved provider. There are no UK approved providers, so anyone in the UK hoping to travel to Hawaii needs to get an approved Covid test IN THE USA to avoid quarantine. That means testing twice, once in the UK for entry to the mainland, and once in the USA for entry to Hawaii.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Most of my trips pre-Covid were LHR-LAX-OGG with an overnight at LAX and early departure for OGG. Maybe it's me getting too old but I struggle to do it in one go and it helps with the jetlag too.
Hilton LAX had good rates in the past with convenient and frequent shuttle to the terminal. I can't comment on the domestic LAX-OGG leg and lie flat seats since I always flew it in Y (Hawaii is expensive as it is, especially if you do several trips per year). Maybe one day..
We did the JER-LHR-LAX/LAX-HNL option the first time, but subsequently taking the extra night via DUB was cheaper ... and generated 1,000 TPs!

The lonnnnggggg AA Domestic First legs (e.g. PHL-LAX and LAX-HNL/OGG) in upright seats were not a lot of fun, but when you want TPs you have to work for them sometimes!
JimEddie and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Yes as we've paid for J for both legs, getting a padded upright seat for a 5-6 hour flight is sub-optimal. I don't know how AA (and others) get away with calling it "First".
I imagine they use the same folks that call 5 hour BA Club Europe flights in economy seats "Business"
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Via DFW would seem the most obvious. We did DUB-LCY-JFK-nightstop- then AA to LAX in proper F(transcon A321) and then onto HNL on the same day. It's a long slog even over 2 days but that last leg is the killer without a lie flat bed.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
because its the best cabin, they offer on that flight.
others dont know how basically every european airline get away with calling it "business class"

for the topic: go via DFW if possible. seems to be the best solution (to me)
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:23 pm

I cannot help with the routing, But I will be in Maui at the same time!
SavvyTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.