Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 136
Question What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

I tried to cancel an avios award ticket for US domestic travel. In the past I was able to cancel the booking with avios redeposited and losing award fee.

Now, I see an option for voucher. I am not familiar with this. Is everyone need to go this route from now on? Any other alternative?

Thanks!
curiousGal is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:56 am
  #2  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,104
If you call, you can cancel which will put you back in the position you would have been in the past. If you do it online the only option is a voucher.
golfmad is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: living near Malaga
Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Posts: 2,085
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you call, you can cancel which will put you back in the position you would have been in the past. If you do it online the only option is a voucher.
FWIW I read yesterday that its now possible to cancel online for a refund less the 35pp for an award booking. Was a comment on Raffles Head for Points site.
sunshinebob is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,103
No. Still voucher only online. Tried it last Friday. A bit peeved actually as even when calling I was offered cancellation for 35 or FTV. Since the recent RFS change I was under the impression that cancelling would only lose me 50p and that my Avios plus additional cash would be refunded. No arguing with the agent and as it was hours before the flight in question I had no real choice but to accept the FTV. I now have so many FTVs that Im having to use Excel to manage them.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:53 am
  #5  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,452
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
No. Still voucher only online. Tried it last Friday. A bit peeved actually as even when calling I was offered cancellation for 35 or FTV. Since the recent RFS change I was under the impression that cancelling would only lose me 50p and that my Avios plus additional cash would be refunded. No arguing with the agent and as it was hours before the flight in question I had no real choice but to accept the FTV. I now have so many FTV‘s that I‘m having to use Excel to manage them.
The cancellation fee of 35 per person hasn't changed and is deducted from any cash (taxes/fees/charges) you originally paid. If you paid less than 35 in taxes/charges/fees originally then you only lose the cash you originally paid, and you aren't asked to cure the difference - so if you paid 50p originally you just lose the 50p.

There was a suggestion in one blog a few years ago that even if you paid 35 you only lost 50p - I am afraid this was just rubbish.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 30, 2021 at 6:03 am
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:11 am
  #6  
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 606
I ran into a similar issue and took a voucher, but assumed the Avios would be refunded in the form of a voucher. Is this not the case if you take a voucher?
danielflyer is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:12 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,452
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I ran into a similar issue and took a voucher, but assumed the Avios would be refunded in the form of a voucher. Is this not the case if you take a voucher?
everything is on the voucher, so any avios and cash you originally paid.
danielflyer likes this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 294
The issue I had was that if it is also tied to a 2-4-1 then I was told that the 2-4-1 has to be used with the same person, which I might not necessarily want. They also tried to hit me with a 15 pp service charge when i FINALLY got through today to cancel a 2-4-1 avios flight. After some negotiation they backed down.
i_concur is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Cambridge UK
Programs: BA silver,
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
FWIW I read yesterday that its now possible to cancel online for a refund less the 35pp for an award booking. Was a comment on Raffles Head for Points site.
Cancelled a Hong Kong return for March booked with Avios, yesterday. Received the Ftvs. Phoned up today and the avios were refunded immediately and the charges less 35 to take 5 days. Only waited 15 mins this afternoon about 3pm to get an answer on the Avios line.
fbrdky likes this.
rjhcambs is online now  
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:27 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,103
Originally Posted by KARFA
The cancellation fee of 35 per person hasn't changed and is deducted from any cash (taxes/fees/charges) you originally paid. If you paid less than 35 in taxes/charges/fees originally then you only lose the cash you originally paid, and you aren't asked to cure the difference - so if you paid 50p originally you just lose the 50p.

There was a suggestion in one blog a few years ago that even if you paid 35 you only lost 50p - I am afraid this was just rubbish.
BA had the trial (their words) of reducing the RFS fee to 50p or 1 which has become permanent without any formal announcement. My 9850 Avios plus 30 CE redemption LHR-MUC was therefore classed by BA as Cash and Avios., effectively buying Avios at around the old RFS price to bridge the gap. The last one of these I cancelled was refunded as Avios and Cash and I only lost 2. That is the only advantage for passengers I see of the reduced RFS fees.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:01 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 136
Question

Thanks for the replies!

So mine is an award ticket and I paid $5.60 in taxes for a domestic US flight for one way. I am still not clear if I should call them to cancel it or should I cancel it online and use their voucher.

Now what does the voucher include? is it the miles that will be held as credit for future travel? Thanks.
curiousGal is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:24 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Posts: 15,636
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Thanks for the replies!

So mine is an award ticket and I paid $5.60 in taxes for a domestic US flight for one way. I am still not clear if I should call them to cancel it or should I cancel it online and use their voucher.

Now what does the voucher include? is it the miles that will be held as credit for future travel? Thanks.
The voucher includes the miles and cash you paid. More info on future travel vouchers here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...chers-refunds#
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:30 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The voucher includes the miles and cash you paid. More info on future travel vouchers here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...chers-refunds#
Thank you for that! Would you advice going with FTV by canceling online and call it a day? or should I have to call them to get avios deposited back?
curiousGal is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:33 pm
  #14  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,104
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Thank you for that! Would you advice going with FTV by canceling online and call it a day? or should I have to call them to get avios deposited back?
If you're confident that you will be able to use the voucher and don't need the points back immediately then it's probably simpler to go for the FTV and avoid calling them.
golfmad is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:06 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 4,300
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you're confident that you will be able to use the voucher and don't need the points back immediately then it's probably simpler to go for the FTV and avoid calling them.
This is what I did when cancelling a US domestic trip earlier this year. Although a phone call was eventually needed to use the FTV.
econ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.