Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Question What's with voucher option when cancelling an avios award ticket?

I tried to cancel an avios award ticket for US domestic travel. In the past I was able to cancel the booking with avios redeposited and losing award fee.

Now, I see an option for voucher. I am not familiar with this. Is everyone need to go this route from now on? Any other alternative?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you call, you can cancel which will put you back in the position you would have been in the past. If you do it online the only option is a voucher.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you call, you can cancel which will put you back in the position you would have been in the past. If you do it online the only option is a voucher.
FWIW I read yesterday that its now possible to cancel online for a refund less the 35pp for an award booking. Was a comment on Raffles Head for Points site.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
No. Still voucher only online. Tried it last Friday. A bit peeved actually as even when calling I was offered cancellation for 35 or FTV. Since the recent RFS change I was under the impression that cancelling would only lose me 50p and that my Avios plus additional cash would be refunded. No arguing with the agent and as it was hours before the flight in question I had no real choice but to accept the FTV. I now have so many FTVs that Im having to use Excel to manage them.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
No. Still voucher only online. Tried it last Friday. A bit peeved actually as even when calling I was offered cancellation for 35 or FTV. Since the recent RFS change I was under the impression that cancelling would only lose me 50p and that my Avios plus additional cash would be refunded. No arguing with the agent and as it was hours before the flight in question I had no real choice but to accept the FTV. I now have so many FTV‘s that I‘m having to use Excel to manage them.
The cancellation fee of 35 per person hasn't changed and is deducted from any cash (taxes/fees/charges) you originally paid. If you paid less than 35 in taxes/charges/fees originally then you only lose the cash you originally paid, and you aren't asked to cure the difference - so if you paid 50p originally you just lose the 50p.

There was a suggestion in one blog a few years ago that even if you paid 35 you only lost 50p - I am afraid this was just rubbish.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 30, 2021 at 6:03 am
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:11 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I ran into a similar issue and took a voucher, but assumed the Avios would be refunded in the form of a voucher. Is this not the case if you take a voucher?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I ran into a similar issue and took a voucher, but assumed the Avios would be refunded in the form of a voucher. Is this not the case if you take a voucher?
everything is on the voucher, so any avios and cash you originally paid.
danielflyer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:23 pm

The issue I had was that if it is also tied to a 2-4-1 then I was told that the 2-4-1 has to be used with the same person, which I might not necessarily want. They also tried to hit me with a 15 pp service charge when i FINALLY got through today to cancel a 2-4-1 avios flight. After some negotiation they backed down.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
FWIW I read yesterday that its now possible to cancel online for a refund less the 35pp for an award booking. Was a comment on Raffles Head for Points site.
Cancelled a Hong Kong return for March booked with Avios, yesterday. Received the Ftvs. Phoned up today and the avios were refunded immediately and the charges less 35 to take 5 days. Only waited 15 mins this afternoon about 3pm to get an answer on the Avios line.
fbrdky likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
The cancellation fee of 35 per person hasn't changed and is deducted from any cash (taxes/fees/charges) you originally paid. If you paid less than 35 in taxes/charges/fees originally then you only lose the cash you originally paid, and you aren't asked to cure the difference - so if you paid 50p originally you just lose the 50p.

There was a suggestion in one blog a few years ago that even if you paid 35 you only lost 50p - I am afraid this was just rubbish.
BA had the trial (their words) of reducing the RFS fee to 50p or 1 which has become permanent without any formal announcement. My 9850 Avios plus 30 CE redemption LHR-MUC was therefore classed by BA as Cash and Avios., effectively buying Avios at around the old RFS price to bridge the gap. The last one of these I cancelled was refunded as Avios and Cash and I only lost 2. That is the only advantage for passengers I see of the reduced RFS fees.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Question

Thanks for the replies!

So mine is an award ticket and I paid $5.60 in taxes for a domestic US flight for one way. I am still not clear if I should call them to cancel it or should I cancel it online and use their voucher.

Now what does the voucher include? is it the miles that will be held as credit for future travel? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Thanks for the replies!

So mine is an award ticket and I paid $5.60 in taxes for a domestic US flight for one way. I am still not clear if I should call them to cancel it or should I cancel it online and use their voucher.

Now what does the voucher include? is it the miles that will be held as credit for future travel? Thanks.
The voucher includes the miles and cash you paid. More info on future travel vouchers here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...chers-refunds#
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The voucher includes the miles and cash you paid. More info on future travel vouchers here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...chers-refunds#
Thank you for that! Would you advice going with FTV by canceling online and call it a day? or should I have to call them to get avios deposited back?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Thank you for that! Would you advice going with FTV by canceling online and call it a day? or should I have to call them to get avios deposited back?
If you're confident that you will be able to use the voucher and don't need the points back immediately then it's probably simpler to go for the FTV and avoid calling them.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you're confident that you will be able to use the voucher and don't need the points back immediately then it's probably simpler to go for the FTV and avoid calling them.
This is what I did when cancelling a US domestic trip earlier this year. Although a phone call was eventually needed to use the FTV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.