Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA2553 a dozen passengers without seats whilst taxiing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2553 a dozen passengers without seats whilst taxiing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I have some sympathy with this, however given the what is at stake, and the worst case consequences of a safety lapse in aviation, there is in my mind an overarching argument that says flight safety is so paramount (we are always told by BA Captains that our safety is paramount) that any safety protocol must be followed to the letter, otherwise you end up on a slippery slope, and it's in that context that lives may ultimately be on the line. Let's face it, if you took any other approach, you would end up with a lot more things being allowed.
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that what happened was OK and can just be ignored or swept under the carpet. But as IAN-UK says, some perspective is needed here. For example, it isn't as if passengers were standing when the aircraft was on its takeoff run. I suspect I'm not alone in having seen worse cabin safety incidents than this on reputable airlines. When the aircraft is only taxying, a time when cabin crew are routinely on their feet and walking about the cabin, it's hardly likely that some standing passengers mean that:
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
... lives may literally be on the line ...
HIDDY and contrails7 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
A Royal Jordanian flight I was on took off from the runway while the safety video was still playing, somewhere around the life vests section. I asked the crew to ask the captain why this happened and they said they were given an earlier departure slot. When I asked if this was considered okay they said it had already played once in the local language and this was the second play (in English) so it was fine. 😐
I was on a TK flight from OTP-IST a couple of months ago where the safety video started around 10 seconds after we were airbourne.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
There is an ageist axiom, here on Flyertalk, that if something bad happens on a flight it's got to be due to lack of experience and thusly because of the "young 'uns" (aka those formerly called 'Mixed Fleet'). Leaving aside that not everyone who (was) from MF or a new entrant isn't 18 year old - I know plenty of ex Met officers who are now flying, for instance) we tend to leave out what, in my experience, is the most accident-prone category of people: those who have done this kind of job for 20+ years and who are suddenly faced with a different way of working.
Amen to this and your entire post. There's always some way to twist any unfortunate customer service, safety or general BA failure tale into the "three fleets" issue indirectly...Frankly, on the ground, from the ones I know personally, there definitely seems to be an overall positive culture and atmosphere with a sense of "moving on". It seems it's the ones on the outside (like me and others here) that seem to have the "problem".

Nonetheless, back to the OP, it is shocking if indeed true. I agree with another comment that reporting it to BA is appropriate and allowing them a chance for reflection/correction/investigation after which if one felt it wasn't being taken seriously enough, or another similar experience is seen, then at that point CAA would be appropriate. Of course, nothing wrong with directly reporting it to the CAA, but working in another professional field with a regulatory body, I can say for sure it would be much better if it were to be reported internally first, such potentially serious breaches are usually dealt with quicker internally, in fact it can be a lot more long drawn out and painful for all parties if the CAA gets involved first hand!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by contrails7
Saladman - I'm sure I will be flamed for this but I couldn't agree more. Frankly I see this every other day on the Tube with X people standing up but not holding on. There is some unexpected breaking between stations because of a red signal or whatever, and all with predictable results, mostly comical. But nothing fatal. And I don't see anyone arguing that standing on the Tube should be banned or TFL should be held to account in some way for the conduct of their passengers. As regards aviation I would be much more worried about Engine, Avionics, Pilot Error, etc, which are the source of nearly all fatalities. Taxiing accidents less so. In all of the major sources of risk BA do a good job as evidenced by their generally good record. I'm sorry but this whole debate seems to be symptomatic of a world in which no one wants to take or accept the slightest bit of risk at the expense of personal freedom and personal agency. And secondly (and I think this Social Media driven) there seems to be a growing category of people desperate to call out other people for their perceived failings when perhaps they should start by looking closer to home. Are they are perfect in everything they do? Never have a bad day? Then they are super human indeed....
Aircraft brakes are roughly 30 times more powerful than the air brakes on buses and trains.

Buses and trains don't need seatbelts either, nor does it matter too much if they set off with body panels missing. Aircraft are a different beast and the rules must reflect that.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/GfL), LH FTL, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 1010101
Aircraft brakes are roughly 30 times more powerful than the air brakes on buses and trains.

Buses and trains don't need seatbelts either, nor does it matter too much if they set off with body panels missing. Aircraft are a different beast and the rules must reflect that.
Yes. Aircraft have much more powerful brakes so they can deal with deceleration from, say, V1. What has that got to do with taxiing at a few mph. You have to compare apples with apples. A Ferrari may have Carbon Ceramic Brakes fitted as opposed to a Lada. Doesn’t really matter if they are both travelling at 3mph.

As for body panels missing. Again what has that got to do with it? Are you implying because of a mild, rare incident on departure the whole company is rotten to the core including the maintenance department? That is quite a stretch

Let’s please get some perspective. This incident is portrayed as if the aircraft was at V1 when all this was happening…
L1705 and Saladman like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 1010101

Sure but when they are taxying at 20mph (or whatever) then it's somewhat academic how good the brakes are.

No-one is denying that the rules were broken and it needs to be addressed. But this rubbish about it being being 'life threatening' is just sensationalism.

It clearly can't be that dangerous to be standing up whilst taxying since the cabin crew are wandering around, doing safety demos, checking seatbelts and suchlike. And they don't have an invincibility cloak or any superpowers (my wife might disagree with me!)
contrails7 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:20 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by contrails7
Yes. Aircraft have much more powerful brakes so they can deal with deceleration from, say, V1. What has that got to do with taxiing at a few mph. You have to compare apples with apples. A Ferrari may have Carbon Ceramic Brakes fitted as opposed to a Lada. Doesn’t really matter if they are both travelling at 3mph.

As for body panels missing. Again what has that got to do with it? Are you implying because of a mild, rare incident on departure the whole company is rotten to the core including the maintenance department? That is quite a stretch

Let’s please get some perspective. This incident is portrayed as if the aircraft was at V1 when all this was happening…
I was on an Air Algeria flight many years ago when we were pulling on to stand, the speed was that minimal the majority of passengers thought we had stopped so stood up and started opening the overhead bins. The seatbelt sign was still illuminated and we were still moving when the captain applied the brakes. The majority of pax that had got into the aisle ended up being thrown on the floor along with baggage that was being pulled out of the overhead bins. Whilst luckily no one was seriously hurt, it could have been worse if any of the hand luggage had hit anyone!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was returning from Santorini last month and cabin crew were letting people switch to whatever seats they fancied before boarding had completed - there were still coaches coming to the plane from the terminal. Caused all kinds of chaos -- though people had finally sat down by the time we pushed back in this case. Maybe it's a Greek island thing. Or maybe it was the same crew!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Just incompetence!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by deepbluetee
I was returning from Santorini last month and cabin crew were letting people switch to whatever seats they fancied before boarding had completed - there were still coaches coming to the plane from the terminal. Caused all kinds of chaos -- though people had finally sat down by the time we pushed back in this case. Maybe it's a Greek island thing. Or maybe it was the same crew!
Isn't that really strange? BA still specify a seat assignment for each passenger and surely most of us expect to find that seat ready and waiting for us even if we are the last to board. Letting this free for all happen is just madness. What were they thinking?
Not as serious as the OP’s experience which I still maintain was dangerous. Yes, cabin crew are up and about during the taxi but they are trained, making final checks and carrying out the safety briefing. It’s not entirely risk free but is certainly made riskier with passengers also milling about and stowing carry ons during the taxi.
I’m of the “thin end of the wedge” view on this. Don’t let it go because it was only a little bit dangerous. What next? I still like BA a lot for its safety record and attitude to safety exhibited by all on board staff. I don’t want to see that eroding at all.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues; Nov 2, 2021 at 11:04 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Saladman
Sure but when they are taxying at 20mph (or whatever) then it's somewhat academic how good the brakes are.

No-one is denying that the rules were broken and it needs to be addressed. But this rubbish about it being being 'life threatening' is just sensationalism.

It clearly can't be that dangerous to be standing up whilst taxying since the cabin crew are wandering around, doing safety demos, checking seatbelts and suchlike. And they don't have an invincibility cloak or any superpowers (my wife might disagree with me!)
Maybe life threatening is a stretch but aircraft can taxi at up 30 knots and stop within a couple of seconds. Anything that is not bolted down, including people, will be thrown very violently forward from that speed.
Silver Fox, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I find the title of this thread confusing. The passengers had seats but weren't sitting in them. I thought the thread was going to be about more passengers than seats, as happened a few years ago on PIA.

A better heading would be: "BA2553 a dozen passengers not sitting whilst taxiing."
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:24 pm

I'm interested to know what the OP ultimately decided to do? Hopefully this incident hasn't just been left to the mercy of "Trial by FlyerTalk" and OP has actually followed through with either a complaint to BA and/or CAA? Apologise if they have already and I missed the post...If OP did already, what the response has been?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
I'm interested to know what the OP ultimately decided to do? Hopefully this incident hasn't just been left to the mercy of "Trial by FlyerTalk" and OP has actually followed through with either a complaint to BA and/or CAA?
OP managed expectations in relation to this already.

Originally Posted by FlyingStephen
I gave up complaining to BA a few years ago about anything, as they just don’t seem to care (even when I was Gold status).
DelTroon likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:41 am

We had a total nob on BA767 from OSL yesterday who decided to get up and started taking out luggage from the overhead locker before the plane reached the end of the runway and had to be told multiple times by the crew, passengers around him, and even over the speaker system. To the point, one crew member had to get up run down the aisle tell in a firm but fair manner to sit down and shut the locker.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.