FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA2553 a dozen passengers without seats whilst taxiing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2057167-ba2553-dozen-passengers-without-seats-whilst-taxiing.html)

NWIFlyer Oct 29, 2021 3:15 pm

Folks, it seems likely the original Brexit remark was made tongue in cheek, and there’s really no need to get quite so worked up about it. Some posts which took this too far have had to be removed from view.

Irrespective of the views of anyone on whether the UK leaving the EU could affect future regulatory powers and policies is not for this thread - currently, which is what matters, the CAA does require the passengers to be seated before the cabin is declared secure and the taxi able to commence.

Helpful suggestions as to how the OP, who has just joined us, could take this forward most effectively are what’s needed - not sniping at each other and taking the thread off-course.

/mod

Bullswood Oct 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Safety issues and breaches of regulations should be reported direct to the CAA. It's what they are there for. Include the information that you have a video.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-...-aviation-law/

justin_krusty Oct 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Was the landing any better organised?

HIDDY Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingStephen (Post 33685439)
I just left Heraklion on BA2553 and it was total chaos with probably a dozen passengers without seats standing in the aisles trying to find their seat with the plane taxiing at some speed to the end of the runway to prepare for takeoff. Lockers hadn’t been closed, seatbelts hadn’t been checked, and cabin crew were busy arguing amongst themselves about who was to blame for the seating fiasco. It seems as though multiple people had sat in the wrong seats, but it left a family of 4 and others standing whilst the cabin crew argued and nobody was listening to the cockpit in relation to safety checks (or doing them), and nobody appeared to have told the cockpit what was going on

I got up and walked along closing 8 lockers and fortunately we were in a short queue and it eventually got resolved within another 5 mins. I’m just very surprised that BA would start taxiing like this, or is safety now compromised where they are trying to catch up on time? The incoming flight was 20mins late and we were running 10mins late.

I gave up complaining to BA a few years ago about anything, as they just don’t seem to care (even when I was Gold status).

Were BA breaking rules in setting off before passengers had a seat?

Who gave you the authority to unbuckle your seat belt and walk around?

Haagen Daz Oct 29, 2021 5:00 pm

I recall a flight from Florence in the late 90s, on either SABENA or Meridiana, when the safety demonstration wasn't given until after take-off and the cabin crew had been given the ping!

I also recall a BA flight to LIN (I think from MAN) when the cabin crew had to get up immediately after touch-down to settle a group of Brazilian passengers who had left their seats and started to collect their hand-baggage; weirdly, there was a Portuguese speaker amongst the crew, presumably by design.

lhrsfo Oct 29, 2021 5:16 pm

I have a couple of times witnessed a passenger getting up during taxi and be shouted at to sit down. Not sure what would have happened if he hadn’t

Engineering Travel Oct 29, 2021 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingStephen (Post 33685439)
I just left Heraklion on BA2553 and it was total chaos with probably a dozen passengers without seats standing in the aisles trying to find their seat with the plane taxiing at some speed to the end of the runway to prepare for takeoff. Lockers hadn’t been closed, seatbelts hadn’t been checked, and cabin crew were busy arguing amongst themselves about who was to blame for the seating fiasco. It seems as though multiple people had sat in the wrong seats, but it left a family of 4 and others standing whilst the cabin crew argued and nobody was listening to the cockpit in relation to safety checks (or doing them), and nobody appeared to have told the cockpit what was going on

I got up and walked along closing 8 lockers and fortunately we were in a short queue and it eventually got resolved within another 5 mins. I’m just very surprised that BA would start taxiing like this, or is safety now compromised where they are trying to catch up on time? The incoming flight was 20mins late and we were running 10mins late.

I gave up complaining to BA a few years ago about anything, as they just don’t seem to care (even when I was Gold status).

Were BA breaking rules in setting off before passengers had a seat?

Not sure about breaking the rules..
But when BA used to fly to BGO (Bergen) Embraer things, on one flight a family decided to sit where they wanted and decided they cant speak English when asked to move..
Flight delayed for over 1 hour and seating was never resolved..poor cabin crew as it was impossible to resolve it.

ttuna3 Oct 29, 2021 7:54 pm

As noted by lots of previous posters, this shouldn't have happened at all.

This should be reported to both BA and the CAA since it's a serious safety issue.
I'm sure that there's going to be some unpleasantness for ALL of the Crew (especially the Captain and the SCCM) along with just as much (maybe more) for BA from the regulators for this one.

In the Merchant Marine (Merchant Navy in the UK), everybody onboard has a duty to report problems and "Stop Work Authority" to keep thing s from getting worse. There's also the concept that you should try to at least mitigate the damage (closing the bins) but not in such a way as to cause more issues (closing the bins again especially any you can't reach from your seat and moving about the cabin). At least on a ship we can call either the Bridge, or Engine Control from anywhere but that isn't possible on a plane so IMHO the Crew (Flight and Cabin) needs to make sure everything is in order before the aircraft moves.

mvoight Oct 30, 2021 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 33686118)
I also believe that the plane should not be taxing with passengers sanding and overheads open. To me it's a BA safety thing to adress. The feds should only get involved if one of their regs was violated or injuries involved.

I don't have the answers but I would raise the issue with BA flight safety by direct letter and not through a general complaint process

I doubt there isn't a regulation for closing bins and passengers in the aisle while taxing. VERY UNSAFE

dougzz Oct 30, 2021 12:54 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 33686448)

I'd say at this point its a judgment call. The crew clearly lacked the necessary skill set, whether it's assertiveness or some other capability, the OP describes a complete muddle. I'd feel safer with a quick few steps to close bins than the risk of hand baggage descending on me. Given the OP stood to close the bins it's a fair assumption they were in an aisle seat and at greater risk of falling luggage. Given that some hand baggage is quite large and quite heavy that's a greater risk in my opinion than standing to close the bins. Of course neither should have happened, but that wasn't the situation.

For me this is a completely different complaint to the normal service issues, and I think direct to the CAA is the right approach.

nk15 Oct 30, 2021 12:55 am

After reading the thread title I thought they were actually overbooked and boarded them all and had passengers seating on the floor, lol...At least it wasn't that...

Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues Oct 30, 2021 1:04 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 33686448)

The only time I experienced anything even vaguely like this was on the now defunct Monarch. CC left their locker above my head open. I kept expecting them to close it but finally when we were at the end of the runway with the flight deck throttling up big style I got out of my seat and slammed it shut. I was back down and buckled in before we moved but I was not comfortable either with the locker open above my head or the safety aspect of me having to get up. I saw it as the lesser of two evils.
I was obviously right in the senior CC’s line of sight and the fact that she made no comment suggests that she knew they had been remiss and I was not to blame. Sometimes, reluctantly one has to take the matter into one’s own hands. I was travelling with my then young children and I didn’t want any of that equipment coming down on their heads.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 30, 2021 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues (Post 33687126)
The only time I experienced anything even vaguely like this was on the now defunct Monarch. CC left their locker above my head open. I kept expecting them to close it but finally when we were at the end of the runway with the flight deck throttling up big style I got out of my seat and slammed it shut. I was back down and buckled in before we moved but I was not comfortable either with the locker open above my head or the safety aspect of me having to get up. I saw it as the lesser of two evils.

I think this is a separate issue from the OP here, but I've also done this once or twice, particularly on Embraer services where it's sometimes necessary to apply pressure in the top half of the door area, or wiggle the catch, to keep them shut. It's the lesser of two evils and cabin crew are OK with doing this if you can nip up quick and nip back down again. On occasions I've left it, if it's clear that the overhead is either so rammed that nothing is going to come out, or if the risk is just from a coat or scarf flying out - it rarely does. This is in the context of an otherwise secured cabin, and the OP's account is about a totally unsecured cabin.

Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues Oct 30, 2021 1:38 am

Agreed and the OP should definitely report it. I’m glad they had footage.
In my case I was just somewhat surprised. The crew kept walking past an open locker with their equipment in it. Once or twice they glanced at it then sat down leaving it open. There was nothing to stop it being easily closed and it certainly did not ping open after an attempt to close. It had just been opened and left that way.
It was careless but not on the scale of the OP’s experience.

allturnleft Oct 30, 2021 1:53 am

I remember landing in an Aeroflot il-62 once and my neighbour was in the toilet on landing :-)