Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

UK to BKK

Hi all, I'm new to this and my head is frazzled from researching flights.

I'm looking to go to Bangkok in April 2022. Dates can be fairly flexible within that month but want to be there for "Songkran" as I'm meeting up with an old friend. Can anyone advise on the best flight to take in biz to get tier points.

Finnair seems the best option price wise but I'm a total rookie to all of this. I would like to maximise TP in view of getting Silver status with BA as I will be travelling a lot more over the next two years but also want to keep the cost as low as possible.

I know the Qatar sale is a good option but obviously there is no sale at the moment.

Can anyone recommend any good fares in biz where I will get the TP? The best I can find so far is Finnair circa £1500 rtn but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Happy to fly from anywhere in the UK.

Thanks in advance from a rookie!
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
£889 with a short hop to Europe first https://www.google.co.uk/travel/flig...z09EgYIARAAGAA

Not so many TPs but I’d grab these
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Careful with the cheapest Finnair fares, some don't include luggage.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hand baggage only always and do washing there !
plunet and NoY like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
£889 with a short hop to Europe first https://www.google.co.uk/travel/flig...z09EgYIARAAGAA

Originally Posted by plunet
Careful with the cheapest Finnair fares, some don't include luggage.
Hand baggage only always and do washing there !
Thanks guys these are good and biz to Stockholm isn't too bad and bumps up the TP. Should I just get on these or wait for Qatar sale so I can fly the Q-suite (which I've always wanted to do) LHR/MAN - DOH - BKK seems easier as one airline but I guess I'm gambling on a sale actually happening.

Thanks again for your input.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:09 pm

As a general rule. Take what is there when it is there and don't hold on waiting for something that may never come.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:03 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

UK is also Vistara (airline). May confuse people in search sometime in the future.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Seeing £1277 for select dates in April allowing you to be in Thailand for Songkram. 18 hour layover in HEL or pay £200 extra for quick connection. Book direct on Finnair. Not as good as the £1042 I paid 2 weeks ago for travel over Easter, but not bad for netting 440 tier points.

Qatar might have a sale but their prices have been rising recently from ex-europe, more flexibility on their fares than Finnair.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold

Same price can be had from BER, 80 extra tp, just change the dates a little.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:51 am

I have flown Finnair business class to BKK and found the seats not at all comfortable (I am 6ft 3ins though) to the point I will not fly them again.

I did a quick check on flights to BKK in April using Skyscanner and it is showing BA non stop OTA fares fir £1,719 and fares booked directly with BA for £1,799.

I would not even think twice about this and book directly with BA.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcro
I have flown Finnair business class to BKK and found the seats not at all comfortable (I am 6ft 3ins though) to the point I will not fly them again.
Was that the A330 or the A350?

I've tried the A330 and thought it was "OK" (but fine on a last-minute redemption).

The A350 seats are, I believe, the same as Cathay and should be much better. Currently, all Bangkok flights are scheduled as A350s.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:08 am

A350 both ways and the return journey did not change my mind.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by marcro

I did a quick check on flights to BKK in April using Skyscanner and it is showing BA non stop OTA fares fir £1,719 and fares booked directly with BA for £1,799.

I would not even think twice about this and book directly with BA.
As the OP is looking to maximize Tier Points on this journey, BA nonstops will not necessarily be his preference. 😉
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Was that the A330 or the A350?

I've tried the A330 and thought it was "OK" (but fine on a last-minute redemption).

The A350 seats are, I believe, the same as Cathay and should be much better. Currently, all Bangkok flights are scheduled as A350s.
The basic seat is the same, however Finnair opted for a more condensed version of their seat. On Cathay cubby hole is overall much smaller than finnair. That said, I find the a350 Cathay seat not nearly as good as on the 777; it is shorter.

For me the finnair seat a350 is one of the worst business products out there so much I’d easily pay a premium for someone else.
marcro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.