FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LAX - DXB First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2056590-lax-dxb-first.html)

tinyburst Oct 24, 2021 9:28 am

LAX - DXB First

In early August I purchased (cash) tickets LAX - DXB in first. The LHR - DXB segments were downgraded to J. Since the introduction of the 380’s I have managed to get back into first on the DXB- LHR flight. However due to flight timings it is not possible to get the first segment reinstated for the LHR - DXB flight.

I am looking for advice on what is the best course of action.

When I look for a similar itinerary in first on BA.com one routing is ONT (AA) - DFW - LHR - DXB This would be acceptable to me, I live closer to ONT than LAX. Would BA switch my current booking into this itinerary?

Should I leave alone and claim re-embursment for the downgrade?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 24, 2021 10:06 am

You can be rebooked if the flight is cancelled - one rebooking per cancellation, so choose carefully. If the flight operates but now without First, then they may not allow a routing change, but call YouFirst and see what they say to your new routing. Always reseach carefully before flying. However if the flight is some way off, and you have a cancellation that is not resolved, I tend to say proceed slowly - a trip of that sort could have many more changes and you probably have better things to do than micro-manage all of them. With an unresolved cancellation on hand you have more flexibility. If you have already resolved the cancellation, well maybe wait until it happens again.

tinyburst Oct 24, 2021 2:05 pm

Thank you,
My flight is not canceled, just downgraded.

I will call YouFirst.

tinyburst May 28, 2022 3:54 pm

BA refused to change my itinerary. I therefore flew the one leg in J. I have asked BA to refund the fare difference and give compensation in line with EC261. BA has responded with the following.

“We notified you of the cabin closure on flight
BA0105 to Dubai on 06 December in August 2021. As you were notified of this change in advance, you're not entitled to compensation for the downgrade. This means we can't offer a compensation payment, as cash or future travel credit, on this occasion. I'm sorry to disappoint you.”

“As your refund is taking longer than expected to be calculated and issued, we offered you both a $100.00 eVoucher as a gesture of goodwill. I've included the details of your eVouchers once again for your records.”

is this correct? Because they notified me I have no entitlement to compensation.

corporate-wage-slave May 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by tinyburst (Post 34288348)
is this correct? Because they notified me I have no entitlement to compensation.

No, because the provisions relating to downgrades do not have timelines attached. Other areas, notably cancellations, do have timelines affesting payment - you are not claiming these elements. BA prefers to think the downgrade provisions apply to last minute events, but that's just their opinion untroubled by the regulation's wording. The USD100 eVoucher is a bit unusual, so you will need to do some sums how close you are to EC261's formula, given the part refund that presumably BA have now paid.

tinyburst May 29, 2022 2:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34288466)
The USD100 eVoucher is a bit unusual, so you will need to do some sums how close you are to EC261's formula, given the part refund that presumably BA have now paid.

Thank you CWS,
I am still waiting for the refund! I calculate that 75% EC261 formula should amount to $1,267.50 (I got an incredibly good deal) for the 2 tickets. I explained to BA that I would be willing to accept the compensation as a future flight credit, but they are intransigent.

DYKWIA May 29, 2022 3:58 am

Originally Posted by tinyburst (Post 34288348)
“We notified you of the cabin closure on flight BA0105 to Dubai on 06 December in August 2021. As you were notified of this change in advance, you're not entitled to compensation for the downgrade. This means we can't offer a compensation payment, as cash or future travel credit, on this occasion. I'm sorry to disappoint you.”

Yet more proof of BA lying to their customers. Surely the CAA must step in a some point?

Confus May 29, 2022 6:42 am

Semantically, the response from BA is correct: there is no compensation for downgrade. There is, however, provision for reimbursement. I would write back asking for their calculation under EU261, and see what they say before deciding on further steps. Won’t hurt to drop the word ‘Mennens’ in the request, it shows you know what you’re talking about.

tinyburst Jun 19, 2022 6:54 am

update.
BA have refunded $1,006 to my credit card (without any correspondence detailing why). This along with the $200 in evouchers is very close to the EC261 I calculated. Whilst happy to get money back I am disappointed that it has taken over six months since we took the flights for this to happen.
Thank you for all advise and help.