No Priority Boarding Filter at T5

Old Oct 24, 21, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by davidcamp6 View Post
Although I only fly around 18-20 return trips a year, I still do not understand this need to be first on the aircraft.You are either first on and waiting for others to board or last on and the aircraft departs soon after.
Although, for me, the point is about not having to stand in a queue (ahead of the jetway queue), the main reason for most is the fact that - particularly due to densification and HBO fares - there is insufficient locker space for the number of seats/luggage allowance. If you embark later you are unlikely to be able to place a roller case anywhere near your seat.
OGG flyer and MatJarosz like this.
Old Oct 24, 21, 6:03 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR View Post
All T5B/C gates should have a separate lane for assistance customers and groups 1/2/3. If this isnít present then itís the gate agent and this needs to be addressed directly with that person as a performance issue. .
Gate 46 at T5B two weeks ago, missed the Group 1 call and was sent to the back of the queue. The gate agent was unapologetic when challenged about the lack of a bypass lane. Still time enough for the calming drink in F.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 21, 1:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I have had three recent experiences of flying with Ryanair (x2) and Easyjet (x1) as am working not far from Cambridge at the moment so STN is the closest airport - with the added bonus that FR is the only UK carrier doing a direct to GOA.

Boarding and on-time departure is something these two airlines do spectacularly well, as well as rigid baggage enforcement rules. I think because pax know these airlines will and do enforce it, most don't try and take the pi$$ like so many BA pax do with their large rollaboard + laptop bag + kitchen sink.

The only gripe I have is FR and EZY don't seem to limit the number of priority boarding slots they sell which amusingly seems to result in the Priority lane usually being longer than the normal lane. Having said this, I always try and board last and my carry-on is usually small enough to fit under the seat if really required. Never had to do this though as I can always find a space in the overhead as it seems to fit nicely on top of someone else's rollaboard.

If Ryanair and Easyjet can do this boarding and maintain on-time departures, why is this boarding so so difficult for BA?
flygirl68 and SxMan like this.

Last edited by BOH; Oct 25, 21 at 2:07 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Oct 25, 21, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I have had three recent experiences of flying with Ryanair (x2) and Easyjet (x1) as am working not far from Cambridge at the moment so STN is the closest airport - with the added bonus that FR is the only UK carrier doing a direct to GOA.

Boarding and on-time departure is something these two airlines do spectacularly well, as well as rigid baggage enforcement rules. I think because pax know these airlines will and do enforce it, most don't try and take the pi$$ like so many BA pax do with their large rollaboard + laptop bag + kitchen sink.

The only gripe I have is FR and EZY don't seem to limit the number of priority boarding slots they sell which amusingly seems to result in the Priority lane usually being longer than the normal lane. Having said this, I always try and board last and my carry-on is usually small enough to fit under the seat if really required. Never had to do this though as I can always find a space in the overhead as it seems to fit nicely on top of someone else's rollaboard.

If Ryanair and Easyjet can do this boarding and maintain on-time departures, why is this boarding so so difficult for BA?
I had an interesting experience with Ryanair and EZY in the last couple of weeks. Some points of my experience echoed yours, some didn't. For instance, hand baggage wasn't policed super well (especially on EZY) and I agree with you, speedy boarding was a laugh. Especially with Ryanair in BUD where the "speedy boarding" was for a holding pen which led to the apron.... bottom line, you paid extra for standing longer in the pen.

Both my experiences with either airline started with the inbound being late. Not massively, let's say 15-20', which on a 45 min turnaround caused some headaches. On Ryanair, despite a full load, we were able to get out on time due to a) boarding via front and back (hey, it takes half as long!) and no bussing and, b) the Space interiors with the largest bins. On EZY in BER, where we boarded via a single jetty and the overhead lockers where the usual Airbus bookshelves, we had lots of baggage problems and a delay. There the "speedy boarding" was enforced but... if everyone who's got it is sat at the front, everyone has two bags and everyone tries to put both up in the locker it's a clusterf*ck.
Old Oct 25, 21, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It has always puzzled me [from my albeit limited experience] that AA seems to handle Boarding much better than BA. OK, we've usually been Group 1 which helps ... but it has always worked, even at busy hubs such as CLT and PHL. Clear signage, clear announcement and control seems to work over there. Meanwhile, the British [who apparently invented queuing!] seem incapable of even doing what it says on the tin on so many occasions.
There's a PhD there for someone with the answer!
Old Oct 25, 21, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I much prefer boarding AA flights to boarding BA flights. They're really clear and the GAs bark the instructions, making the process really clear!

Also partly because they usually board BA GGLs before Group 1. I wish BA did this.
Old Oct 30, 21, 3:11 am
Original Poster

*response from ba*

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed by the boarding process when you flew to Pisa on 24 October. This is not what you expected when flying with British Airways so I understand why you needed to complain.

As I'm sure you are aware, the COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on our business. To ensure the safety of all our customer and staff we have had to review all of our processes following advice from the UK Government and World Health Organisation. Unfortunately, this means we have had to make some modifications to our service.

One of the processes we have had to change is our boarding process. Passengers are currently called forward to board from the back rows to the front. By doing this we can limit the need for passengers to pass each other in the confined space onboard. We are keeping a close eye on the progress of the pandemic and hope to be able to resume normal operations soon.

Once again, I'm sorry you were disappointed. If I can help with anything else, please reply using the blue link below.

Best regards
Old Oct 30, 21, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Iím not sure what annoys me more: the fact that they ignored my actual complaint, or that customer services donít even know that priority boarding was reintroduced months ago.
makin'miles, NoY, LPQ and 13 others like this.

Last edited by TheJayHatch; Oct 30, 21 at 3:25 am
Old Oct 30, 21, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch View Post
Iím not sure what annoys me more: the fact that they ignored my actual complaint, or that customer services donít even know that priority boarding was reintroduced months ago.
Have you replied to that effect? Whenever I get unthinking crap like that from a company, I make it my mission to tie up as much of its resource as possible.
makin'miles, LCY8737, NoY and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 21, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch View Post
The response you got there is pretty much identical to what I got at the end of August. You'd have thought someone would have told them by now.

An apology from British Airways I'm sorry to read you didn't get the experience you were hoping for at the airport and on board. I appreciate why you wanted to get in touch. I understand you're disappointed with the lack of priority boarding. The boarding rules were changed to accommodate for COVID-19 restriction and have yet to be reassessed. I realise this is upsetting, but this is a temporary measure and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Oct 30, 21, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I thought the complaint was there there isn't priority boarding even though group boarding has resumed? So them saying there is no priority boarding currently holds true?
Old Oct 30, 21, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by revorgap View Post
I thought the complaint was there there isn't priority boarding even though group boarding has resumed? So them saying there is no priority boarding currently holds true?
no, it was that there is no priority lane, thus negating any benefit if you miss the 30 second slot for your group.
Old Oct 30, 21, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by revorgap View Post
There is priority boarding, but only if you're there as your group number is announced. There are no long separate queues for 1/2/3 which would take you to the front if you arrive after your group has been called.
Old Oct 30, 21, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Have you replied to that effect? Whenever I get unthinking crap like that from a company, I make it my mission to tie up as much of its resource as possible.
It has become my ditch to die in
Scots_Al and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Nov 29, 21, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just boarded through A20 and all the gates down that end at least have had their Tensa maze changed to put groups 1-3 back into their own seperate lane.
crazyarmadillo likes this.

Search this Thread