Terminal 5 Queues at 5am

Old Oct 23, 21, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Terminal 5 Queues at 5am

Does anyone know what queues are like around 5am at T5 at the moment?

I'm flying for the first time since covid for me on Friday from T5 around 7am, and it's my first time flying CE too. I'm staying in the Sofitel T5 and was planning to turn up at 5am for bag drop and get my first T5 lounge experience for the maximum time, but if I'm gunna spend 30 minutes at bag drop, I guess it's worth doing the drop the night before?
Old Oct 23, 21, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I don't know the answer to your question but irrespective of that I'd do anything to avoid a 5 am start. And I certainly wouldn't swap my bed in Sofitel for extra time in a Galleries lounge. You can probably see where I'm going with this .... evening bag drop!
Old Oct 23, 21, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but irrespective of that I'd do anything to avoid a 5 am start. And I certainly wouldn't swap my bed in Sofitel for extra time in a Galleries lounge. You can probably see where I'm going with this .... evening bag drop!
Haha, okay! Thanks - I'll see if I can get everything I need into a small carry on bag and drop the big one off!

I don't fly very often - but always assumed an evening bag drop was just a recipe for them losing your bag!
Old Oct 23, 21, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Queues will be small at that time, and I too would rather maximise my time at the Sofitel than spend too long in a lounge (and I'm saying that as someone who has access to the CCR which is very good and the best BA has to offer).
Old Oct 23, 21, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lgladdy View Post
I don't fly very often - but always assumed an evening bag drop was just a recipe for them losing your bag!
Not at all, once your bag enters the baggage system at T5 it's basically all automated and your bag will be sent to the automated bag store - just as it would be if you checked in a couple of hours before the next day.

If you are that interested there is a video from the manufacturer on Youtube.

Old Oct 23, 21, 11:31 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Ive been doing a fair amount of earlyish flights - in fact sitting waiting for 604 to Pisa to push back - and its fine. Was here this morning at 0520 and fairly busy but no sign of huge queues. I was FW though - cant speak for normal security. I would say, though, that with the US opening next week that it may get a lot busier, and it may take a few days for staffing to adjust if necessary
lgladdy, SxMan and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 24, 21, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I have been at T5 at around 5.45am every week since May.

That early in the morning, there aren't really any queues to speak of. With it being half term this coming week, it's likely to be a bit busier but 5am would be absolutely fine IMO.
Old Oct 24, 21, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just be thankful that its not Manchester. The queues for security snaked back to the check-in desks and that was at 4am!
Old Oct 24, 21, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (Gifted, native Silver)
Last week I checked in my baggage at 8pm for the next day 12noon flight to FNC whilst staying overnight at the Sofitel. Everything worked fine and it was a delight to miss the check in Q on the day of the flight
Old Oct 24, 21, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, Amazon Prime
I do like T5 on an early morning - often very quiet and peaceful
Old Oct 24, 21, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
So, as a data point, I came through T5 at 5.30 this morning - the first weekday of half term.

I used South Fast Track for my experiment as I expect that will be what the OP will use. There was a queue of 6 people waiting to get to the scanners and I would say I was through security in less than 5 minutes.

So really no issue this week when coming through the terminal so early.
lgladdy likes this.
Old Oct 24, 21, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
They often pull people from the Club check-in to First Wing if the queues get large at Club.
At 5am it's quiet at South Security - just a few people in my experience.
lgladdy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 21, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks! That's super useful.

I think I'll still bag drop the night before then just head to security around that time.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 25, 21, 2:29 am

Have the self-service ticketing machines been removed? They were rarely used and avoided the need to queue.
Old Oct 25, 21, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No they are still in use, and so are the self serve baggage points. The latter is somewhat dented by the extended need to check documentation so I'm not sure why they are bothering with that at the moment, but is is in use.

Search this Thread