Wiki Posts
Search

14 Oct : BA104 aborted approach to LHR 27R

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
14 Oct : BA104 aborted approach to LHR 27R

BA104 aborted its landing quite far away from the runway threshold this afternoon - above Isleworth.

Wondering if any insider knows why, to satisfy the geek in me.

On the (rough) plane finder track it looks like it lined up for landing on 27R (arrivals are on 27L) before realising its mistake, going around and land on 27L a few minutes later. Surely the crew or ATC would not make such mistakes?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was a little too harsh on the flight crew - nevermind

Last edited by MatJarosz; Oct 15, 2021 at 12:19 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Sounds like a pretty serious error if true? On Wednesday I was taxing at LHR for take off and just prior to exiting the taxiway adjacent to the runway (apologies I don't know the technical term), the aircraft came to a fast and sudden stop, followed by a tight 90-degree turn, almost as if a sudden realisation we should be taking off from the other end instead. At the time I thought it strange, but pared with this incident it makes me worry a little...
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
A little knowledge is dangerous.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
ATC brings arrivals in on the active departure runway at times during day for various reasons. It’s not a “clearly they lined up on wrong approach” as we don’t know what instructions they were given and why decision was made to change.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
At LHR many times they use both runway for takeoff and landing. I have no idea why but seems possible they were cleared for 27R landing but the aircraft which were taking off on that runway was too slow so it had to go around. it wouldn’t be unusual at all.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MatJarosz
I was on that flight, so I’m glad to see someone ask the same question.

The flight crew said it was due to a traffic, but clearly they were lined up on the wrong approach as 27R was used for take-offs.

I’m not an expert, but isn’t the approach selected and programmed as part of the initial flight planning?

yes flight crew usually enter some approach and landing but it’s not hard coded and they could change it to anything they need to. Also as LHR is usually a busy airport ATC can vector aircrafts anywhere they want and pilots has to able to change flight plans accordingly.
I can’t see anything unusual about this go around. I could be wrong though as i haven’t listened to ATC
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the before times I vaguely recall most days at LHR had a go-around caused by traffic etc. I had one on my first ever flight into LHR! Just of those things.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
BA104 aborted its landing quite far away from the runway threshold this afternoon - above Isleworth.

Wondering if any insider knows why, to satisfy the geek in me.

On the (rough) plane finder track it looks like it lined up for landing on 27R (arrivals are on 27L) before realising its mistake, going around and land on 27L a few minutes later. Surely the crew or ATC would not make such mistakes?
They're established on the localiser like clockwork at 7-15 miles, so no, it's 99.9999% not a "mistake". Much more likely a late visual switch to 27R due to an issue on 27L, (late vacating or tyre burst, birdstrike or debris, all commonplace) but whatever was departing rolled late and seperation would be lost, so go around it is. Sounds like a visual switch to avoid a missed approach ended up in a missed approach to the other runway. It happens.
Heathrow has at least one go around on any BAU day in normal times.

Or even more common, to keep the flow rate up, they decided to land one on the departure runway (fairly common in BAU) and the departing traffic was too slow in getting away. Landers on the departure runway are allowed in normal ops, departures on the landing runway are not, not, not!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by MatJarosz
I was on that flight, so I’m glad to see someone ask the same question.

The flight crew said it was due to a traffic, but clearly they were lined up on the wrong approach as 27R was used for take-offs.

I’m not an expert, but isn’t the approach selected and programmed as part of the initial flight planning?

I used to try to answer these sort of questions, but the modern world does not want to understand, only to blame. Clearly there is no evidence of any fault or failing by anyone, either aircrew or air traffic control yet here is an armchair expert opining on things far beyond their knowledge and competance. They don't want to understand, only to blame and feel ( a false) sense of superiority. I give up.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:06 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I used to try to answer these sort of questions, but the modern world does not want to understand, only to blame. Clearly there is no evidence of any fault or failing by anyone, either aircrew or air traffic control yet here is an armchair expert opining on things far beyond their knowledge and competance. They don't want to understand, only to blame and feel ( a false) sense of superiority. I give up.
As you are an airframe driver, the irony in this part of your response is not lost on me
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
As you are an airframe driver, the irony in this part of your response is not lost on me
Irony - its like Goldy, only with more iron
wrp96, BOH, jerry a. laska and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Not sure why you expect slack from anyone, or why anyone would want to blame…?
From my side as the OP, am only trying to understand what happened as I have had 2 go-arounds at LHR (and a couple elsewhere) but they happened much closer to the runway, while what I observed today from the ground, looked different.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Waterhorse I'd really appreciate your insight and comments on this so if you did feel inclined to answer / explain I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who'd benefit from your knowledge!
wrp96, noFODplease, SKT-DK and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I used to try to answer these sort of questions, but the modern world does not want to understand, only to blame... I give up.
Please don't give up! The input from professional crew (cockpit and cabin alike) is absolutely the secret sauce that can take the content on this forum from mildly interesting to seriously fascinating. And you (along with some others already in this thread) are one of the top contributors in that vein. I have many times over recent years been utterly amazed by your replies about operations that would otherwise remain a total mystery. Please please continue informing us when you can!

I don't think there is any disrespect intended in armchair guesses about things like this, people love a bit of drama, avgeeks are highly strung and have watched too many films to stop themselves putting in their oar not to mention CIHY's correct assessment of 'a little knowledge...'

For every 1 person overthinking a situation, there are 99 of us interested to know the professional and technical reasons behind it. Your replies are appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.