Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shambolic BA1470/71 today (13th)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jimlad48
In truly typical BA fashion they've texted everyone to offer a voucher for refreshments (collect from gate). Only for no member of staff to be at the gate - cue a 20 deep queue at present of increasingly pissed off passengers.
Maybe you now have to print your own voucher?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Maybe you now have to print your own voucher?
You'd think in the modern world, some genius would have implemented automatically linking a virtual voucher to your boarding pass. Most airport retail has boarding pass scanners and it wouldn't be rocket science to implement. { Either that or effing eMail it to you / link to it in a text. }
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by The Geek
You'd think in the modern world, some genius would have implemented automatically linking a virtual voucher to your boarding pass. Most airport retail has boarding pass scanners and it wouldn't be rocket science to implement. { Either that or effing eMail it to you / link to it in a text. }
AS does that. You get an email with your choice of several hotels and the meal voucher(s). You click on the hotel you want and the reservation is automatically made and paid for by AS. The meal voucher is a barcode that can be used at the hotel or at any airport vendor. It is an excellent system.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Finkface
AS does that. You get an email with your choice of several hotels and the meal voucher(s). You click on the hotel you want and the reservation is automatically made and paid for by AS. The meal voucher is a barcode that can be used at the hotel or at any airport vendor. It is an excellent system.
A meal voucher with a barcode would ease the pain of a delay
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by The Geek
or a virtual visa/MasterCard number that can be loaded onto your Google or ApplePay.

As we all know they can't even get MMB correct but a boy can dream.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Pilot37
The other part of the delays involved INV ATC (both times on a Friday evening between 7.15/7.45pm) when apparently ATC goes on a break!

Pilot37
Wild. I was on an Easyjet flight from LGW-INV in August that was due to arrive in Inverness at 19:50 - we left on time and were making good speed before having to circle around the airport for 30 minutes because "the airport was closed". I assumed it was something serious and began working out how to reach my destination from Aberdeen where i'd assumed we'd be diverted to, but after 20 minutes in we went with no sign of an issue or any planes sitting around. Never occurred to me that this is a regular thing - is it simply not enough ATC staff so needing to take scheduled breaks? If so amazed it happened *right then* as the BA LHR flight arrived shortly after us followed by an EZY from Luton - so surely they wouldn't schedule breaks during 'rush hour' - or would delay our departure from Gatwick??
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Wild. I was on an Easyjet flight from LGW-INV in August that was due to arrive in Inverness at 19:50 - we left on time and were making good speed before having to circle around the airport for 30 minutes because "the airport was closed". I assumed it was something serious and began working out how to reach my destination from Aberdeen where i'd assumed we'd be diverted to, but after 20 minutes in we went with no sign of an issue or any planes sitting around. Never occurred to me that this is a regular thing - is it simply not enough ATC staff so needing to take scheduled breaks? If so amazed it happened *right then* as the BA LHR flight arrived shortly after us followed by an EZY from Luton - so surely they wouldn't schedule breaks during 'rush hour' - or would delay our departure from Gatwick??
Anyone know the cost of 30 minutes worth of Aviation fuel? If I was the airline I would be submitting an invoice to NATS. Stupidity such as this is giving more fodder to the environmental groups.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Anyone know the cost of 30 minutes worth of Aviation fuel? If I was the airline I would be submitting an invoice to NATS. Stupidity such as this is giving more fodder to the environmental groups.
Any particular reason why you want to bill NATS for this? Given they don't have the ATC contract at INV that'd be a little sporting.....

NATS is one of nearly 60 licenced ATC providers in the UK. While NATS has the tower contract at most major airports, HIAL (Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd) are the ATC provider (as well as the airport operator) at INV.

There is currently a dispute going on between the ATC union and HIAL regarding their plans to centralise tower ATC services for all HIAL airports in one 'remote tower' centre at INV, I think their staff are working to rule at the moment, ensuring they take their legally mandated rest breaks, rather than opting to forgo them out of goodwill.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Oct 14, 2021 at 6:47 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:38 am

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for my ignorance but I would still like to know the cost of 30 minutes of fuel and the impact to the environment. I cannot believe the likes of BA and EY would tolerate this?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
There is currently a dispute going on between the ATC union and HIAL regarding their plans to centralise tower ATC services for all HIAL airports in one 'remote tower' centre at INV, I think their staff are working to rule at the moment, ensuring they take their legally mandated rest breaks, rather than opting to forgo them out of goodwill.
It's all an odd situation, I suppose that BA & EZY must be putting a lot of pressure to get this resolved. There were entire day closures of some HIAL airports in August as well. They only seem to have about 10-15 flights a day - mostly Loganair so I suppose disrupting the larger carriers is a way of making your point. My only take out is that I'm not sure I want ATC staff to be allowed to forgo rest breaks!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Thanks for the clarification and apologies for my ignorance but I would still like to know the cost of 30 minutes of fuel and the impact to the environment. I cannot believe the likes of BA and EY would tolerate this?
You could also argue that since it is clear there is a break in ATC service between 1900 to 1945 at INV, why do BA/U2 insist on sending a plane up there which arrives within the period.

A3328/21: Approach control service (APP) hours of service
Q) EGPX/QSPAH/IV/BO/AE/000/021/5733N00403W003COVID-19 INFORMATION:
INVERNESS AD OPR AND ATS COM FAC
SUN 0800-1815, 1900-2030
MON 0530-0700, 0735-1800, 1845-2030
TUE-FRI 0145-0700, 0735-1800, 1845-2030
SAT 0145-0700, 0735-1800.

INVERNESS RADAR HOURS:
SUN 0800-1815, 1900-2030
MON-FRI 0735-1800, 1845-2030
SAT 0735-1500

FROM: 26 Sep 2021 05:30 GMT (06:30 BST) TO: 23 Oct 2021 21:15 GMT (22:15 BST)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I read that and thought - 45 year break! .... Then sanity resumed.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.