Club Europe for a 5:30hr flight LHR -AMM !

Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
We call it "Club Economy" and on my last CE flight from CDG to LHR the couple in front went wild as they claim they paid for a First Class seat to USA, connecting in LHR and had to fly in this tiny seat.

For all its faults in soft product AA has a significantly better domestic product than BA
In just the same way that on one domestic AA plane or other, you'll have probably heard some European passengers complaining that they got lounge access and a food and full bar service on their LHR-MAN in C so why can't AA give them the same on a 2 hour flight or a 4 hour redeye...
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
For all its faults in soft product AA has a significantly better domestic product than BA
So clearly these people travel little. As @obitimic says on a 220 mile flight in a bigger sest on American they’d be served nothing in all likelihood. If they felt that strongly, I’d have hoped that they’d get off the aircraft and have a big direct seat with American and give us all a break.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by tayaran
Funny thing is, when i booked it, it clearly said lie-flat seats when it was displaying the price!
If it was stated, or implied, that the AMM leg had lie-flat seats, are you able to find that, or else recreate the same on a dummy booking ?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:50 am

But maybe they flew enough to be aware AA don't have First Class to Paris
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I did LHR-TFS last month that was timetabled at 4-4.5 hours, but with a good crew the flight literally flew by.
Hard product yes, soft product not even close! On a LHR-MAN I've had a meal and a few drinks, on an AA flight that was longer I got a soft drink and a packet of crisps.
efincomputer and ISTFlyer like this.

Last edited by S_W_S; Oct 11, 2021 at 5:01 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
RJ business on the LHR-AMM leg is a lovely product. Absolutely worth anything you can do to try and change the flight, and even worth a cost increase (if reasonable).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Another problem with AMM and CAI moving to SH is that this has led to a reduction from 140 TP in J to 80.
CAI has had some cracking F sale fares to HNL over the years making a Gold possible with one return journey.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
[....]
And as others mentioned, however disappointing this feels when one was used to the worldwide cabins, BA are more or less matching competition here. LH, AF, and most others tend to treat near east and north Africa destinations as Europe for all practical purposes. CAI used to be an exception, but these days there is neither enough traffic nor enough money to typically justify it, and whilst BA still idiosyncratically treat TLV as worldwide, this is an increasingly unusual situation compared to competition (LX used to treat TLV as long haul too but I'm not sure they still do given covid effects on numbers).
AF flies wide-bodies to CAI & BEY and has recently upgraded its TLV service from A320s to wide-bodies. Only AMM continues to be served by A320s. Anyway, matching the competition would be matching RJ, ME & MS on their respective services to LHR, and they all fly a premium cabin service that is passably business class on narrow-bodies (as does TK), or even lie-flat on wide-bodies -- miles away from BA's Euro-trash. Even their economy class hard-products are metrically better than BA's densified A321neos. The other point is that, while LH, LX, OS, etc., do indeed fly Euro-trash to these destinations, they at least have the geographical advantage of being in the middle of Europe, "only" 3-4 hours' flying time away.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
CAI used to be an exception, but these days there is neither enough traffic nor enough money to typically justify it, and whilst BA still idiosyncratically treat TLV as worldwide, this is an increasingly unusual situation compared to competition (LX used to treat TLV as long haul too but I'm not sure they still do given covid effects on numbers).
Interestingly, earlier this year AF adjusted their TLV services to all widebody. My sense is, at least in a non-COVID context, TLV is just a massive market compared to the others, with a reasonable amount of mid/high value business travel, including connections to North America and lots of competition. I’m guessing that explains the TLV strategy.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Interestingly, earlier this year AF adjusted their TLV services to all widebody. My sense is, at least in a non-COVID context, TLV is just a massive market compared to the others, with a reasonable amount of mid/high value business travel, including connections to North America and lots of competition. I’m guessing that explains the TLV strategy.
Not just a massive market, but BA also has VERY stiff competition, especially for longer distance transfer traffic. Virgin and EL AL both compete with BA on the route.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, BA Gold
Try and get a voucher and re-book onto an RJ codeshare. RJ is has a much better product, and having done that route in CE a few weeks ago it was not fun or value for money.You also seem to get way more tier points on that route with RJ than BA.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
My longest trip on a NEO is to IST - 3 1/2 hours - not bad really if you are in row 1....
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Day flight 5 hours OK.

Redeye 5 hours not good.

Off topic, AA domestic first hard product better than BA CE but BA CE soft product better than AA.
makin'miles and TPJ like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: ba silver
I think if the OP chose to travel he would be entitled to a partial refund. OP would probably have to sue in SCC. I know airlines have COC' s that don't guarantee the type of seat a court would look at what the purchaser could reasonably expect. So, a different type of Club World configuration is one thing, being switched from a club suite to Y seat with no AVOD is another.

It would be perfectly acceptable here for a court to override the COC and issue a partial refund. I went though something similar years ago when I booked a package with that included a five star resort. When we got to the hotel we found the place sill under construction with many amenities not available. The tour company said none of the advertised amenities were guaranteed in the contract. We sued and the court looked at the brochure photos compared to our photos and awarded us $ 1500 dollars each. It's up to the OP to decide what route to use
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
My longest trip on a NEO is to IST - 3 1/2 hours - not bad really if you are in row 1....
Not actually that bad in any other CE row either but 4hrs would probably be my limit. I know the ex LON fares to AMM dropped when the route went from CW to CE but it would be interesting to know if in the OP's case starting beyond LHR whether the fares are any lower considering a third of the journey is now in an inferior seat to what they may have enjoyed previously.
81romeo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.