Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I fly BA because.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Because Virgin stopped flying where I need to go in the US and I hated their business class setup even more than CW.

Because I, like others above, hate flying on Rinkydink Airways out of some second rate hellhole airport that is essentially a chavvy mall with some airline gates attached.

Because I can figure out, and use!, their awards program, unlike some others (looking at you, United), the 2-4-1 is a decent deal (when I get around to using it), and pre-Covid the lounge situation and access at LHR and outstations was great. They also have a good selection of partner airlines, especially when Alaska was added.

That being said, the last few months as travel has opened up has been really rocky on the customer service side and I hope service and amenities are added back in... soon. As the saying goes, I do have choices when I fly and if not for Delta requiring every flight to go through Atlanta, or their alliance forcing a connection in AMS/CDG, I would probably be more seriously considering a switch to SkyTeam. I also tend to check European airline prices when flying west - sometimes a quick stop over in a new city to check out before a long haul isnt a bad deal and the prices are competitive (or very upgradeable) with BA.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
My first flight was with BMI Dublin to London, It was mad getting onto an A321 with big business class seats and all I could think of was cool is that how do I get into them as a young 18 year old used to Ryanair.

A couple of years later when I had some cash my next BA flight was to Lisbon and I did a POUG and I don't think I have looked back, Think of what flights cost in the 1980s/1990s, I get that service now in CE for probably a fraction of the cost.

Now that I live 10 minutes from T5 means I don't look anywhere else when booking,

But also the staff, Sometimes the system lets them down but I have always had staff bend over backward for me, My last long haul before Covid, Work got me a very last minute flight to LAX, I was in one of the last rows of Y, I struck up a great conversation with the crew and before I knew it I was being served whiskey from First. Delivered with a don't tell anyone wink. Ya just don't get that with the middle eastern carriers.
FlightDetective and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Despite having to fly from the regions I'll take BA via London rather than direct flights with others, particularly the LCCs. Is it some kind of sub-conscious brand snobbery? Possibly.

I've stuck with BA for over 20 years due to their, IME, reliability and flexibility. One of my first trips with them as an adult was a holiday in Europe. Our connecting flight from London was delayed because of a technical issue. There was an equipment swap and we were on our way with less than an hour delay. Essentially BA had wheeled out a replacement plane. With a LCC we would've been stuck for hours, possibly longer.

I also find CE one of life's simple pleasures. The lounge experience, the middle table/free middle seat giving a fraction more space, the meals and champagne. It might seem inconsequential to some however for myself a long weekend or a few days away somewhere in Europe with a CE return flight is just bliss.
This sums up my view too. I find that in CE I can travel more pleasantly than with low cost airlines for a price I can afford. (It is also why I remain upset that the middle table was not installed on the neos - I know it doesn't sound like much but it is such a thoughtful design point and sent out the message that BA was trying hard to differentiate the experience - a shame they didn't stick with it.)
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Because they offer value. Frequent sales mean I can actually purchase premium economy or biz class and earn Gold status which means access to first class lounges. I got hooked when it was easy to buy WTP and upgrade to CW for minimal Avios and I've remained mostly loyal over the last decade because they continue to offer value. On average Star Alliance is 20% more expensive than BA/oneworld and SkyTeam doesn't really fly to my local airport.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
On average Star Alliance is 20% more expensive than BA/oneworld and SkyTeam doesn't really fly to my local airport.
Is it? From UK it’s usually cheaper to fly with star alliance in my experience because you have a stop over to Germany/Austria/Switzerland etc. BA flights are usually direct. Anyhow, I fly BA for the same reasons I fly with other airlines. If they offer a good value for money/good service/destinations I want to go then I fly with them. No specific reason...
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Because I live half way between LHR and, LGW and pre covid could travel direct non stop to a huge number of places on BA. Plus the BAEC is addictive allowing us to get premium seats for economy prices with avios. Book with confidence has also been very handy during covid meaning we haven't lost any money from cancellations and parallel bookings.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Because they provide a great lounge and SH service from LGW... .

And that is why I'm currently on 26 flights from EZY this year, all of which would have been on BA.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Because the Executive Club Benefits mainly, which neutralises all the other reasons not to fly them.
DelTroon and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Primarily because I live in London and BA flies to many of the airports I need to fly to- with decent schedules. Good FF programme and as a Gold I am well looked after. Not perfect but in my experience on a par with most major competitors in most aspects. Just pleased they appear to have survived the pandemic. Here's to another 20 years of frequent flying.....
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Because of their monopoly at LHR......
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:52 am

Because I have limited other choices.
choosethedrew and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
For me it's always been the cabin crew and the staff. Yes, there is always an exception to the rule, and when service isn't up to scratch it tends to draw far more attention than all the other times where it goes exceptionally well (I work in IT, so relate to working in a role which is invisible when it's going right, but draws a lot of focus if something screws up). I've always felt valued and cared for as a pax - status or not - whether in the cheapest ET seats or the few time's i've been in F (and everything in between). You might get someone on a bad day, or where they are short staffed etc, but as all my flights have shown me this year, BA by and large has an exceptionally professional, friendly and most importantly, capable crew. The CC i've spoken to on my recent flights are so happy to be back in the air and looking after passengers again - you can see it as plain as day. From a practical perspective, I value their safety record and the extensive training the pilots go through. Given the choice, I would fly with BA (although I appreciate my experience of other carriers outwith the UK is limited).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:28 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've been using them since their BEA Renfrew days and can't say they've let me down enough to say 'never again'.

How about you?

I live very close to the end of the runway. Sadly it was away before I was born, but my dad often talked about it as he'd flown from it a few times. Great to see the old pics.
HIDDY and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
For me, my main route is LON <-> AMS and Avios being fairly easy to earn through AMEX spending, it's a no brainer to use BA. Have never flown easyJet or Ryanair as it's never been cheaper and/or faster. BA is also oneworld and is great to reap in the CX benefits when visiting Hong Kong/Singapore.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I use BA for short haul but I'm not a huge fan of them for long haul but then I've not had opportunity to try the new biz cabins yet. I stick with them because it's convenient and they go where I want to go. They haven't done anything to upset me and little touches like 'here's a bottle of fizz to mark your 100th flight' that I had recently is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.