FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Has BA Ceased offering Armed Forces Discount? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2054949-has-ba-ceased-offering-armed-forces-discount.html)

pjh981 Oct 9, 2021 11:35 am

Has BA Ceased offering Armed Forces Discount?

I have noticed for some weeks now that BA is no longer offering an online Armed Forces discount. Their company name has quietly dropped off the Defence Discount Service website. Anyone know if this is a deliberate move? Provision of the discount is a condition of their binding commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant.

Tocsin Oct 9, 2021 3:17 pm

I noticed the link and password didn't work a few weeks ago - I hoped it was a (typical) BA IT glitch... :(

AlanA Oct 10, 2021 4:37 am

Same with Virgin Atlantic, both are currently missing from DDS web site.
I did notice a couple of months ago my saved link wasn’t working, but DDS still had a link, but was then different to the one saved

BarneyMcGrew Oct 10, 2021 5:48 am

Having just booked a flight using the discount, the direct link still works to the Military Service fares (and if you know the password that was formerly promulaged on DDS):

navylad Oct 10, 2021 7:27 am

I suspect this is just the expiry date timed out on the DDS side. If you message them they will likely confirm with BA and then reinstate the link. It has happened a number of times before and it is just how DDS stores its offers with an expiry date, this was they ensure the offers are current.

I’ve still been booking flights with the link no issues (it’s in my bookmarks so I rarely go via DDS in any case).

corporate-wage-slave Oct 10, 2021 8:06 am

When this thread first came out, I tried the links and it fell over. I forced my way through to the password screen and it was no-go there too, it was if the Closed User Group - which is what this discount amounts to - had been closed off. I'm a member of another CUG and I know what that looks like, it also falls over from time to time. I was going to make some enquiries on Monday about this. The login now looks OK, other than in the DDS listings the link has gone for some reason. But that's not unusual - DDS has its own issues from time to time. I can see and apparently purchase discounted rates. As with all CUGs, it's best to first log in normally to your BAEC account, then log in to the the CUG.

So IT glitch I would say.

argonath Oct 10, 2021 8:20 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 33632248)
Having just booked a flight using the discount, the direct link still works to the Military Service fares (and if you know the password that was formerly promulaged on DDS):

Linky: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...749&eId=111042

Promulgated..what a pure MoD word :-)

Georgie Hobson Oct 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Please can somebody send me the password as I don't have it. Thanks

Originally Posted by argonath (Post 33632518)
Promulgated..what a pure MoD word :-)

BarneyMcGrew Oct 28, 2021 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Georgie Hobson (Post 33680251)

Please can somebody send me the password as I don't have it. Thanks

You have a DM.

Definitas Oct 28, 2021 10:37 am

BA DDS Discount

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 33681562)
You have a DM.

last time I saw a similar post (on another website) I could still see the DDS link. I just logged in and, sure enough. It is not there. From memory it just says you have to call to get the discount. Has this changed?

I also had a wave of nostalgia due to the word promulgated!

BarneyMcGrew Oct 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Definitas (Post 33682649)
last time I saw a similar post (on another website) I could still see the DDS link. I just logged in and, sure enough. It is not there. From memory it just says you have to call to get the discount. Has this changed?

I also had a wave of nostalgia due to the word promulgated!

If DDS members know or had bookmarked the latest direct DDS/BA weblink and can recall the password, then the offer is still available online (there is a technical problem between BA and DDS hence it not being currently available on the Defence Discount Service). It should return as the discount is still a promulgated Armed Forces Covenant commitment from BA (see para 2.1 of their Covenant pledge):

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t_20161007.pdf

It has always been via a direct weblink from DDS to BA and the offer was not generally available over the phone. Infact item 10 of the t&c’s states:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ae1a643bb1.png

When Virgin Atlantic had an Armed Forces Covenant discount pledge, their offer was only available via the telephone. However Virgin Atlantic removed their entire covenant pledge and haven’t as yet re-signed up to it.

Barney

moral_low_ground Oct 29, 2021 12:34 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 33684363)

When Virgin Atlantic had an Armed Forces Covenant discount pledge, their offer was only available via the telephone. However Virgin Atlantic removed their entire covenant pledge and haven’t as yet re-signed up to it.

Barney

Surely Mr Branson ,if he is not too busy bouncing off the walls of his space craft, could be shamed into supporting our serving and former-serving people. Maybe time to drop a line (very old fashoned) or post a few things on twitter to this effect ?

Paul9619 Nov 6, 2021 2:36 am

Could someone send me the password. Still not sorted on the DDS side.

many thanks.

BarneyMcGrew Nov 6, 2021 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Paul9619 (Post 33706436)
Could someone send me the password. Still not sorted on the DDS side.

many thanks.

Will send you a private message shortly.

Barney

Paul9619 Nov 6, 2021 3:55 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew (Post 33706494)
Will send you a private message shortly.

Barney

Many thanks Barney