Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA Ceased offering Armed Forces Discount?

Has BA Ceased offering Armed Forces Discount?

Old Nov 29, 21, 6:00 pm

Programs: DDS
Hi Barney,

Could I also request the password please. Serving RAF and registered DDS. Many thanks.
Old Nov 29, 21, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Spooky823T View Post
Hi Barney,

Could I also request the password please. Serving RAF and registered DDS. Many thanks.
You have a private message
Old Nov 29, 21, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ian Lew View Post
Hi Barney, sorry to also be a pain. I'm serving RAF and also having same issue. Could you PM me as well please? Thanks!
You have a PM/email.
Old Dec 1, 21, 3:55 am

Has anyone managed to actually get a discount? Over the last 5 years I used it multiple times, successfully getting discounted fares, and am aware of/revisited the fare rules

the link successfully accepts the password etc and shows “military fares” at the top of the screen but the prices are exactly the same as I’m getting on an unconnected device without the supposed discount.

I’ve tried not just the flights I want to book but many, many dummy routes/dates etc and no price difference compared to the man on the street…
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 21, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Lissa17 View Post
Has anyone managed to actually get a discount? Over the last 5 years I used it multiple times, successfully getting discounted fares, and am aware of/revisited the fare rules

the link successfully accepts the password etc and shows “military fares” at the top of the screen but the prices are exactly the same as I’m getting on an unconnected device without the supposed discount.

I’ve tried not just the flights I want to book but many, many dummy routes/dates etc and no price difference compared to the man on the street…
Hi Lissa17,

I booked a simple return MAN to LHR return latish last month, using the Military Fares and it was working fine (cheaper than the standard fares in Club Europe).

However, in response to your post (above), I have just tried to book a similar journey (within the discount t&c’s) CE MAN/LHR return for mid-January 2022, and as you state, it is now returning the normal standard fares.

I will drop them an e-mail to enquire what has happened in the intervening period to make the discount unavailable.

The discount is still a live Armed Forces Covenant commitment by BA, albeit technically it does state:

‘We will offer an Armed Forces Discount through the official MoD Defence Discount Service’

With the direct Defence Discount Service (DDS) link being taken down by DDS, I am beginning to think BA may now have pulled it at their end as well (there seemed to be a problem at the DDS end - possibly connected to their move to the generated access codes I think).

I did make another enquiry with DDS last week regarding the absence of the direct DDS link and got the same ‘This is currently being investigated’ response as I had to my previous enquiries with them.

If I don’t receive a further response, I am attending a Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee meeting next week which has covenant issues on the agenda. So, I may raise it there to get it further up the chain of command and for them to exert some pressure on DDS to get it reinstated.
Tocsin, Lissa17 and katieks like this.

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Dec 1, 21 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 1, 21, 4:56 am

Programs: DDS
Hi Lisa,

On the only time I have tried it (yesterday) I found that it was about £200 cheaper to use discount sites like KAYAK or Skyscanner. But thats only one attempt.
Old Dec 1, 21, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew View Post
Hi Lissa17,

I booked a simple return MAN to LHR return latish last month, using the Military Fares and it was working fine (cheaper than the standard fares in Club Europe).

However, in response to your post (above), I have just tried to book a similar journey (within the discount t&c’s) CE MAN/LHR return for mid-January 2022, and as you state, it is now returning the normal standard fares.

I will drop them an e-mail to enquire what has happened in the intervening period to make the discount unavailable.

The discount is still a live Armed Forces Covenant commitment by BA, albeit technically it does state:

‘We will offer an Armed Forces Discount through the official MoD Defence Discount Service’

With the direct Defence Discount Service (DDS) link being taken down by DDS, I am beginning to think BA may now have pulled it at their end as well (there seemed to be a problem at the DDS end - possibly connected to their move to the generated access codes I think).

I did make another enquiry with DDS last week regarding the absence of the direct DDS link and got the same ‘This is currently being investigated’ response as I had to my previous enquiries with them.

If I don’t receive a further response, I am attending a Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee meeting next week which has covenant issues on the agenda. So, I may raise it there to get it further up the chain of command and for them to exert some pressure on DDS to get it reinstated.

thank you for checking - thought I was going mad! And thank you for following up; let’s hope it’s reinstated and functional ASAP!

(I previously took BA to task over the covenant when I ended up with BA vouchers for a COVID cancelled flight which could then only be redeemed over the phone…and the DDS discount could only be used online hence flights booked with discount would’ve had to be rebooked without discount. Short version is they agreed to manually sort it and in the longer term those vouchers can now be used as payment online anyway so problem solved. If only there were a working discount to use the voucher balance I still have haha).
Old Dec 4, 21, 4:03 pm

Discount Password

Good evening,

Is someone able to provide me with the password?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 21, 3:28 pm

Hi Barney, please DM me and I will respond with a mod.gov.uk email for PW? Dual serving couple hoping to book some flights for next years holidays. Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 18, 21, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by katieks View Post
Hi Barney, please DM me and I will respond with a mod.gov.uk email for PW? Dual serving couple hoping to book some flights for next years holidays. Many thanks in advance.
Welcome to Flyertalk katieks and welcome to the BA Board.

Have you tried the Defence Discount Service website? Most of the flurry of posts above were due to the fact that DDS mistakenly took BA off their listing, but I've just looked and BA is back online with access details. Search using "British".
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old Dec 18, 21, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk katieks and welcome to the BA Board.

Have you tried the Defence Discount Service website? Most of the flurry of posts above were due to the fact that DDS mistakenly took BA off their listing, but I've just looked and BA is back online with access details. Search using "British".
Many thanks CWS.

Yes, as you state it has been restored but does not appear currently in the alphabetical listings – so one needs to search using the word ‘British’.

Although the published t&cs read as per previously, one change is that the offer now expires 1st June 2022 (previously it was November 2024).

I would ask that eligible participants bookmark the current offer link from the DDS website and note the password in case it disappears again in the future.

For info of all eligible participants the full current t&c’s as of 19 December 2021 are below:

Offer Expires: 01 June 2022

This discount is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a members of the Armed Forces Community, providing valid login details.

British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. Eligible Participants confirm that they accept these Terms and Conditions.

1. Eligible flights - In order to take part in this offer, Eligible Participants must make a Qualifying Booking. A Qualifying Booking is any BA short-haul or long-haul or UK domestic flight in any of the cabins Euro Traveller Plus (economy short-haul with baggage), World Traveller Standard (Economy long-haul with baggage), Club Europe (business short-haul), Club World (business long-haul). Excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

2. Discounted tickets can be purchased online only.

3. Person entitled to the discount needs to be in the travelling party

4. The discount applies only to BA marketed and operated flights and does not apply to travel on any BA franchisee or oneworld alliance airline, or any flight operated by a codeshare partner.

5. No stop-overs are allowed.

6. The discount is applicable to bookings for children and infants, when contained on the same booking as an adult.

7. Discounts are available on BA flights only, and are not valid for discounts on BA holidays (hotel + flight or hotel + car), hotels, car rental or other Avios-related Reward.

8. The discount is valid for bookings of up to 9 passengers.

9. BA provides no guarantee that you will be able to purchase tickets on your preferred flight. Certain flights may have very limited or no availability on certain dates because of existing bookings.

10. To take advantage of this discount the Defence Discount Service member must enter the valid password detailed in the Defence Discount Service website after accessing the unique British Airways discount link.

11. Payment must be made in full at the time of booking.

12. The discount offers Eligible Participants to a 10% off any fare before taxes, fees and charges and to all destinations operated by BA, excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

13. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or deal, including but not limited to: (i)redemption bookings; (ii) travel agent or industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts), inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes (iii) bookings made with vouchers, (iv) upgrades, (v) in conjunction with any BA staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines).

14. No cash or credit alternative is available for this offer.

15. Discounts cannot be used retrospectively.

16. All bookings made are subject to the fare rules for the class of the ticket booked including (but not limited to) ticket flexibility, change fees, cancellations or refunds. Any refund or cancellation made over the telephone is subject to a service charge.

17. All travel on BA flights is subject to British Airways general conditions of carriage for passengers and baggage and the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary.

18. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

19. BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets issued free or at promotional prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of BA.

20. The promoter of this discount is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777.
Old Dec 19, 21, 4:17 am

DDS Discount

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew View Post
Many thanks CWS.

Yes, as you state it has been restored but does not appear currently in the alphabetical listings – so one needs to search using the word ‘British’.

Although the published t&cs read as per previously, one change is that the offer now expires 1st June 2022 (previously it was November 2024).

I would ask that eligible participants bookmark the current offer link from the DDS website and note the password in case it disappears again in the future.

For info of all eligible participants the full current t&c’s as of 19 December 2021 are below:

Offer Expires: 01 June 2022

This discount is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a members of the Armed Forces Community, providing valid login details.

British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. Eligible Participants confirm that they accept these Terms and Conditions.

1. Eligible flights - In order to take part in this offer, Eligible Participants must make a Qualifying Booking. A Qualifying Booking is any BA short-haul or long-haul or UK domestic flight in any of the cabins Euro Traveller Plus (economy short-haul with baggage), World Traveller Standard (Economy long-haul with baggage), Club Europe (business short-haul), Club World (business long-haul). Excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

2. Discounted tickets can be purchased online only.

3. Person entitled to the discount needs to be in the travelling party

4. The discount applies only to BA marketed and operated flights and does not apply to travel on any BA franchisee or oneworld alliance airline, or any flight operated by a codeshare partner.

5. No stop-overs are allowed.

6. The discount is applicable to bookings for children and infants, when contained on the same booking as an adult.

7. Discounts are available on BA flights only, and are not valid for discounts on BA holidays (hotel + flight or hotel + car), hotels, car rental or other Avios-related Reward.

8. The discount is valid for bookings of up to 9 passengers.

9. BA provides no guarantee that you will be able to purchase tickets on your preferred flight. Certain flights may have very limited or no availability on certain dates because of existing bookings.

10. To take advantage of this discount the Defence Discount Service member must enter the valid password detailed in the Defence Discount Service website after accessing the unique British Airways discount link.

11. Payment must be made in full at the time of booking.

12. The discount offers Eligible Participants to a 10% off any fare before taxes, fees and charges and to all destinations operated by BA, excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

13. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or deal, including but not limited to: (i)redemption bookings; (ii) travel agent or industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts), inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes (iii) bookings made with vouchers, (iv) upgrades, (v) in conjunction with any BA staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines).

14. No cash or credit alternative is available for this offer.

15. Discounts cannot be used retrospectively.

16. All bookings made are subject to the fare rules for the class of the ticket booked including (but not limited to) ticket flexibility, change fees, cancellations or refunds. Any refund or cancellation made over the telephone is subject to a service charge.

17. All travel on BA flights is subject to British Airways general conditions of carriage for passengers and baggage and the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary.

18. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

19. BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets issued free or at promotional prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of BA.

20. The promoter of this discount is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777.
Thanks for the information. I logged in and did the search for “British” and found the BA link. I have bookmarked it as suggested. Please can I request that you post an update if you become aware that BA have resumed adding the discount.

Many thanks for your efforts
Old Dec 26, 21, 6:11 am

Could any one kindly send me the password as can not seem to locate it. Many thanks
Old Dec 26, 21, 6:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by powsmjp View Post
Could any one kindly send me the password as can not seem to locate it. Many thanks
Could you kindly look at posts 70 and 71 for how to get the password. By all means revert if something else is getting in the way. Welcome to Flyertalk powsmjp.

Old Jan 6, 22, 1:25 am

Albeit somewhat slow, things do eventually filter through the ‘chain of command’ as the Defence Discount Service yesterday restored the British Airways offer to the alphabetical drop-down list on both the DDS website and app.

As I have repeatedly stated, DDS members please bookmark the DDS directly linked BA access page and note the password in case it should disappear from DDS again in the future (always a possibility when the offer expires on DDS - currently slated for 1st June 2022, before it eventually gets restored again).

Barney

Search this Thread