Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) to Singapore.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:22 am

my BA 11 flight was cancelled but able to re book with ease. Just wondering how strict UK is for SIN-LHR arrivals? Flying in Jan and seeing that we now have to self isolate till D2 swab tests are out... The BA flights for SIN-LHR reaches early in the morning and I cant check into the hotel till 2pm. Will I still be able to take the tube to the hotel and any suggestions what I can do prior to the allowed check in time? Tried to email the hotel but nil response so far.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Originally Posted by nhezhen
my BA 11 flight was cancelled but able to re book with ease. Just wondering how strict UK is for SIN-LHR arrivals? Flying in Jan and seeing that we now have to self isolate till D2 swab tests are out... The BA flights for SIN-LHR reaches early in the morning and I cant check into the hotel till 2pm. Will I still be able to take the tube to the hotel and any suggestions what I can do prior to the allowed check in time? Tried to email the hotel but nil response so far.
You could book the preceding night, then the room will be ready when you rock up at 8am or whenever.
As for travelling, I believe the pertinent part is to isolate 'when you arrive at your home / hotel', so you gotta get there somehow, and there is no restriction as to how you get there.
For example, when I arrive from SIN, I'll get tested at LHR arrivals and then head to my home- in Glasgow. On a plane. Make of that what you will, and indeed for those thinking it defeats the point of the exercise, I agree, but if the UK government were serious about testing on arrival, they would do just that- test you on arrival and not leave it up to the traveller to sort it out themselves "by day 2". As it is, this is another piece of Covid theatre for you to enjoy.

Also, as you aren't arriving until Jan, you can bet your bottom dollar that the goalposts will have moved by then...
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
It's a good idea booking from the day before your flight gets in so that you can go straight to the room if you arrive at the hotel well before normal check-in time . But I always let the hotel know in advance so that they don't assume I'm a 'no show' when I haven't arrived by midnight.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by nhezhen
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not a day 2 or earlier test?

i.e. you could land and go take your PCR test on the way to the hotel (not sure if legal!)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Alex_1992
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not a day 2 or earlier test?

i.e. you could land and go take your PCR test on the way to the hotel (not sure if legal!)
Yes. And from what I understand you can go straight to your isolation place on day 0 (arrival date), stay in on day 1 and on day 2 go take your test, and come back to isolate until negative result is out. It does seem silly.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:01 am

And Singapore has just announced even more ridiculous DAILY testing as for 7 Dec VTL arrivals onwards:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...ariant-2356791

Basically,
- 2 days before, professionally administered ART or PCR
- day 1, PCR at Changi
- day 2, self administered ART
- day 3, ART at testing centre
- day 4, self administered ART
- day 5, self administered ART
- day 6, self administered ART
- day 7, ART at testing centre

I won’t be surprised that VTL will die a swift death for the coming 4 weeks (may be extended if government deems necessary)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
And Singapore has just announced even more ridiculous DAILY testing as for 7 Dec VTL arrivals onwards:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...ariant-2356791

Basically,
- 2 days before, professionally administered ART or PCR
- day 1, PCR at Changi
- day 2, self administered ART
- day 3, ART at testing centre
- day 4, self administered ART
- day 5, self administered ART
- day 6, self administered ART
- day 7, ART at testing centre

I won’t be surprised that VTL will die a swift death for the coming 4 weeks (may be extended if government deems necessary)
I'm actually surprised - I figured they would just go "Nope" and close the borders again. This is irksome, but manageable
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
VTL flights are absolutely sold out with expats and locals heading to/from Singapore for the Xmas holidays - many who haven't seen their family for two years. So this is completely manageable for them and likely to have very little impact on loads I would think. I've got three friends coming back to the UK to stay for Xmas so we're hoping it still happens, so far so good!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I'm actually surprised - I figured they would just go "Nope" and close the borders again.
Don't. Tempt. The Singapore government.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901
VTL flights are absolutely sold out with expats and locals heading to/from Singapore for the Xmas holidays - many who haven't seen their family for two years. So this is completely manageable for them and likely to have very little impact on loads I would think. I've got three friends coming back to the UK to stay for Xmas so we're hoping it still happens, so far so good!
I'm equally aware of people in some Telegram chat groups who've cancelled their trips. A combo of measures in Europe, as well as in Singapore (VTL routes don't only involve the UK).
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
I’m due to be heading over to Singapore via the VTL over new year as part one of our honeymoon.

Have to decide whether the updated testing requirements will be too much or not - as I have to pay the balance on a BAH this weekend! Very used to Antigen tests with work, so I think it should just about be ok.

I booked first out / club return in one of the sales for a very good price, so it is really a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Singapore at NY….. providing the testing doesn’t take over!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Also to note that transit passengers arriving on BA11 VTL flights are back to being tagged and shepherded (marched, single file) to a segregated holding area before being released around an hour before their onward flight.

This rule was (re)introduced whilst Thursday's BA11 (dep 2 December) was in the air, and we were all greeted with this new state of affairs meaning no (contract) lounge access, no showers, paid-for food via online ordering, and no shopping. Also applies to flights from The Netherlands, France and Germany.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chrisnichols
I’m due to be heading over to Singapore via the VTL over new year as part one of our honeymoon.

Have to decide whether the updated testing requirements will be too much or not - as I have to pay the balance on a BAH this weekend! Very used to Antigen tests with work, so I think it should just about be ok.

I booked first out / club return in one of the sales for a very good price, so it is really a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Singapore at NY….. providing the testing doesn’t take over!
Honestly, in my opinion it shouldn't be too difficult to manage. The day 2,4,5,6 self tests will take you 15 minutes each day. You'll be provided a website to which you will upload your result. I'm assuming this is the same website used for the old 14 day quarantine whereby one had to do a self test on days 3,7,11. In Singapore the cost of these tests kits averages $5-6 SGD per test. As for the administered day 3 and 7 tests, there are numerous Quick Test Centres around Singapore and I would expect there would be one fairly close to wherever you are staying. The cost here will be $15 SGD per test.

For the self tests, you can purchase your self test kits in Singapore through the various delivery services apps or you can pack your own. Acceptable kits in Singapore are here: https://www.hsa.gov.sg/consumer-safe...id19_selftests

If you are familiar with SG, here is the list of Quick Test Centres. Following my recent VTL arrival, I was allowed to choose from any of these locations (I'm an SG resident): MoH QTC list

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/quick-test-centres-(qtcs)

Hope this helps.
​​​​​

​​​​
Chrisnichols likes this.

Last edited by bpk6h; Dec 6, 2021 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Honestly, in my opinion it shouldn't be too difficult to manage. The day 2,4,5,6 self tests will take you 15 minutes each day.
​​​​
For me the main risk with the additional testing is that there is a greater risk of testing positive whilst away and getting stuck in quarantine somewhere; particularly with testing prior to return to the UK. Previously when I travelled in October, as long as I isolated reasonably before travelling, I was fairly sure I would not get a positive test on arrival and then the next test was after being back in the UK.

I guess the risk now is that you isolate a bit before travel, get over to Singapore, and then go out, to the mall, the theme park, restaurants etc and on day 5/6/7 get a positive test at which point I'd be fairly stuffed.

Anyway, all to their own, I am undecided on whether its worth travelling over NY at this point with the additional stress. May be the decision is taken out of my hands in the next fortnight if the entry requirements regress.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Honestly, in my opinion it shouldn't be too difficult to manage. The day 2,4,5,6 self tests will take you 15 minutes each day. You'll be provided a website to which you will upload your result. I'm assuming this is the same website used for the old 14 day quarantine whereby one had to do a self test on days 3,7,11. In Singapore the cost of these tests kits averages $5-6 SGD per test. As for the administered day 3 and 7 tests, there are numerous Quick Test Centres around Singapore and I would expect there would be one fairly close to wherever you are staying. The cost here will be $15 SGD per test.

For the self tests, you can purchase your self test kits in Singapore through the various delivery services apps or you can pack your own. Acceptable kits in Singapore are here: https://www.hsa.gov.sg/consumer-safe...id19_selftests

If you are familiar with SG, here is the list of Quick Test Centres. Following my recent VTL arrival, I was allowed to choose from any of these locations (I'm an SG resident):
https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/quic...-centres-(qtcs)

Hope this helps.
​​​​​

​​​​
404 error on that link above (missing the end bracket in the link):
https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/quic...centres-(qtcs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.