Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another sad tale of BA First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you may have missed the more subtle main point of my post
No, I got it...just in a somewhat cranky and pedantic mood today
Silver Fox and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Indeed. BA is not the greatest F in the world. We all know its probably the bottom of the middle, or the top of the bottom! This was a bottom of barrel BA F experience and its good that its been highlighted
"BA F is the greatest J in the world"
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
There you go, theyre above 2, so Top of the bottom as I said. Id say theyre better than UA too. As I originally said, their only goal is to be on par from LHR-USA, which they very much are
Considering UA don't have First (nor do Delta or Jet Blue) its pretty easy to be "better" than UA, DL or B6.

I don't buy the only goal of First is to be better/equal to AA. There have competition from many Airlines on TransAtlantic (Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss)
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Considering UA don't have First (nor do Delta or Jet Blue) its pretty easy to be "better" than UA, DL or B6.

I don't buy the only goal of First is to be better/equal to AA. There have competition from many Airlines on TransAtlantic (Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss)
When did UA bin their first off? Wasn't before time. Talk about uncompetitive products

I've taken LH and LX (although was 10 years back now) TATL, they're both better obviously, they're in no way better enough to justify an extra 3-4 hours transferring. For a one off its nice, if I was a frequent flyer once a month or more, I'd have taken UA F over LX rather than transfer in ZRH! Indeed I'd take BA J now.

So basically BA is only competing with AA for LHR-USA and they're not even competing. There is no reason for them to be better than they are.

Obv there are some other routes where F is flown direct from LHR too, with competing F products - DXB, SIN HKG, where the competition is obviously better. Its clearly not worth them raising their game just for these handful of routes though and a quick look at LHR-SIN for one day next March and BA comes in GBP 5,400 cheaper than SQ, less than half the price and GBP 4000 cheaper than LX (if you were happy to transfer for the better product*).

BA is not competing with those products.

*EK is only 2200 more if you're happy to spend an extra 12 hours travelling over the return trip
LCY8737, HIDDY and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Not a justification, but I suspect BA’s response in this case was due to a large number of issues reported being not worthy of compensation in and of themselves in BA’s CR guidelines, and the issue which they do class as worthy of compensation - a seat recline issue - not being reported onboard.

This does not make the OP’s complaint any less valid though.

Side note - I do not know whether CR take into account what the customer paid for a flight. I suspect they do not (even though from a customer’s perspective this is at the forefront of their mind in the context of compensation for performance or non delivery).
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
This is the most ridiculous comment in this thread. LAX is an outstation and so is ORD. The food from LAX and ORD to HKG on CX in First is amazing.

The issue is BA not the outstation
Apols we were talking about BA and we all know BAs outstations catering isnt up to standard. Never has been never will be.
People play a lot more for F flights on CX
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Oh BA First - how we will miss it when it finally goes.
AlanA and Cap'n Benj like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
"BA F is the greatest J in the world"
Id take ANA's new Business suite over BA F
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:58 am

I do get rather bored of the BA apologists who question why this is being written about, or just dont acknowledge that the service provided in the article is utterly unacceptable, regardless of the reasons for writing it.

I was fortunate enough to fly QR J in Q Suite the other day, and it was far superior in both soft and hard product to BA F, and far cheaper. Where there are options, I would choose this over BA any day. Apart from one last-minute avios ticket, I have not flown BA for 5 years. And for that one flight, I had to take BA to CEDR to get the re-routing I was due for their cancelled flight. BA really needs to improve, something I want and hope it does. But it is things like this which will drive the improvements.
AdBoy, jayjaygee, wylek and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Now theres only 8 F seats and due to the pandemic rich people are seeking space away from the great unwashed I think they will continue all their marketing efforts (and enticing people) and probably product efforts into Club World
And yet Club World food still comes on a single tray, and has smaller portions than a Band 4 CE meal from a few years back.

Again, BA are extracting normal premium ticket prices from passengers and providing a distinctly non-premium service.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by agjil
I actually thank Jermyn for making this public.
More people need to know about this and the only way to get BA's attention is more media coverage about their poor products.
Asking thousands of GBP for such a terrible experience is basically scam.
People get fined/jailed for scamming others...this is how serious scamming is.
I “liked” this post even though I do think the word “scam” is a little strong. It is, however, very misleading advertising to promise one thing and then frequently deliver far below that standard. Not just on First but, as we see from the mega cabin thread, also on CE. Something has to give and hopefully it is BA management upping their game but I won’t hold my breath.
HarryHolden68 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
From my point of view, apart from the parts I have bolded, the rest is par for the course with BA aircraft nowadays:
  • Cabins that poorly or not maintained at all
  • Cabins that receive a cursory clean between flights
  • Cheap food that is poorly prepared and served
  • Poorly motivated crew that lack the finesse with which BA previously served F passengers
I think that having been given the opportunity for customer recovery, this kind of coverage is all BA deserve. And to the OP, never doubt that a few committed individuals change the world because it is the only thing that ever does.
People are overworked and tired due to the pandemic labor shortage. So sometimes planes aren’t fully cleaned and FAs are not in a great mood. The catering was from Mexico City. Not Heathrow. Despite a poor customer experience comparing BA to Emirates is unrealistic expectations. The influencer should be pleased he got covered in the news. Never heard of him.

I flew BA first SFO LHR on the a380 in February 2020 and it was fabulous. Here’s my breakfast.
StingWest, Cap'n Benj and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
People are overworked and tired due to the pandemic labor shortage. So sometimes planes aren’t fully cleaned and FAs are not in a great mood. The catering was from Mexico City. Not Heathrow. Despite a poor customer experience comparing BA to Emirates is unrealistic expectations. The influencer should be pleased he got covered in the news. Never heard of him.

I flew BA first SFO LHR on the a380 in February 2020 and it was fabulous. Here’s my breakfast.
The point of the OPs official review was of a bad F experience, not necessarily a bad F.

As now extensively covered, we (on here) all know what we're going to get with BA F. Set your expectations right and flying BA F is a very pleasant way to fly.

Sometimes as with the OP's experience, expectations (even those correctly set) aren't met.

I think its fair to call out a sub par performance, as its the only thing that will hopefully lessen the chances of it occurring again

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Oct 6, 2021 at 8:43 am
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican

You had a very good experience, OP quoted Jermyn’s experience which was a very bad one. Other than the fact you have never heard of him I don’t get your point. I’ve never heard of you but think your opinion, given the photos, is valid.
Jermyn’s opinion, given his photographic evidence in the quoted article , is also valid.
BA’s consistent inconsistency strikes again.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by agjil
Does anyone actually pay for BA F nowadays?
I thought BA F was full of upgrades/point bookings/non-revs, hence why BA doesn't care about the quality of their first class product.
Of course this doesn't justify BA's terrible F product, but at least that's why I thought BA stopped caring.
Some of us are quite happy to use our own money and fly BA F, if given the opportunity. Had a few bookings cancelled now but have others in the pipeline.
Nearly all our long haul travel involves connections and Heathrow has its advantages plus the CCR which Mrs B loves, though not had the chance to test the new seating.
Other airlines can be good/great but their pricing, even for business class, has crept up over the years to the point the difference in price and possible service are not worth considering. Also remembering that other airlines have bad reviews as well so it’s not all good out there.
HIDDY and DelTroon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.