Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Photo ID required at Gatwick - is this normal?

Photo ID required at Gatwick - is this normal?

Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: GLA
Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,389
Photo ID required at Gatwick - is this normal?

I had a strange one on my LGW-GLA flight on Saturday morning - I was asked for photo ID at the gate. I've not had this when flying BA at any other location to date, and I don't recall it being the case when I last travelled from LGW (south) in 2019 on a domestic leg (although that might just be bad memory). Is this just a standard LGW North Terminal process? Thankfully I had my drivers license with me, but I noticed the vast majority of other pax had their passports - so I very much felt like I was missing something that everyone else knew.

As a side note (and bone of contention) - no form of boarding priority on this flight at all - not even pre-boarding for those requiring assistance - just gate open, and first come first served as they hit the gate. Certainly no sign of boarding by group or CE pax getting on first (and 5 rows of nearly full CE on the flight, so it's not like there was only 1 or 2 CE pax).
efincomputer is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:12 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Posts: 6,359
It shouldnt be - domestic BA flights without luggage dont require IDs
chris1922Mk2 and SxMan like this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:15 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 32,079
OTOH, we would never EVER travel by air without our Passports. Who knows where you might be diverted? 🙂
T8191 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:15 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 17,743
Hi.
Photo Id for domestic flights on Ba seems to be getting more common
previously I have been asked for photo id but my because card was taken to be OK.
In July for a domestic I was asked for photo id when dropping off a bag despite having my baec card on my phone.

Regards

Tbs
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:17 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,178
Perhaps to do with the handling agent? At LBA they insisted on photo ID for the BA flight to BHD, but it wasn't the same staff that had previously done the BA LHR service.
S_W_S is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:25 pm
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,445
I suspect it is because the staff in the north terminal are not used to BA flights and didn't serve BA flights in the south terminal, and are simply used to what U2 requires for domestic flights.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Posts: 1,470
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect it is because the staff in the north terminal are not used to BA flights and didn't serve BA flights in the south terminal, and are simply used to what U2 requires for domestic flights.
They're still handled by BA's wholly owned subsidiary GGS though? Which is basically all ex BA ground staff TUPED out of the business.
skipness1E is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: LCA/ABZ/BHD
Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Bronze | Sixt Platinum
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Perhaps to do with the handling agent? At LBA they insisted on photo ID for the BA flight to BHD, but it wasn't the same staff that had previously done the BA LHR service.
Can confirm this. I was also asked for photo ID on the LBA-BHD flight. Haven't been asked on the GLA-BHD flights or any other domestic flights.

Thanks!
Dog250 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:56 pm
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,445
Originally Posted by skipness1E
They're still handled by BA's wholly owned subsidiary GGS though? Which is basically all ex BA ground staff TUPED out of the business.
I suspect it isn't the exBA ones at the gate in the north terminal though.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:56 pm
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,445
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Perhaps to do with the handling agent? At LBA they insisted on photo ID for the BA flight to BHD, but it wasn't the same staff that had previously done the BA LHR service.
I was not asked last Friday so possibly they have been educated
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:04 pm
  #11  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by efincomputer
I had a strange one on my LGW-GLA flight on Saturday morning - I was asked for photo ID at the gate. I've not had this when flying BA at any other location to date, and I don't recall it being the case when I last travelled from LGW (south) in 2019 on a domestic leg (although that might just be bad memory). Is this just a standard LGW North Terminal process? Thankfully I had my drivers license with me, but I noticed the vast majority of other pax had their passports - so I very much felt like I was missing something that everyone else knew.

As a side note (and bone of contention) - no form of boarding priority on this flight at all - not even pre-boarding for those requiring assistance - just gate open, and first come first served as they hit the gate. Certainly no sign of boarding by group or CE pax getting on first (and 5 rows of nearly full CE on the flight, so it's not like there was only 1 or 2 CE pax).
Things I learned, unlike in the States, you do not need an ID to get through domestic security in the UK... this seems very odd to me.
volabam likes this.
kbooks66 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:10 pm
  #12  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,042
Originally Posted by kbooks66
Things I learned, unlike in the States, you do not need an ID to get through domestic security in the UK... this seems very odd to me.
We don't need to show ID to get on a bus, ferry or a train either.

Easyjet seems to have given up asking for ID on domestics too, mainly to prevent people giving something over that needs to be handled.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Posts: 1,470
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect it isn't the exBA ones at the gate in the north terminal though.
Not sure, but given GGS was BA only, they'd need to be new hires since COVID as BA let a load of their loyal, experienced and long serving ground staff go with a fraction ("the survivors") going to GGS on inferior ts & cs.
GGS don't handle anyone else so far as I know.
skipness1E is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 129
Pretty sure you need some kind of ID to check in a bag seems pretty reasonable, otherwise anyone could check in a bag under your name if they got hold of your boarding pass.
also if at the gate it could be an issue with the biometric gates hence an ID check, quite common at Heathrow when the gates fail.
speedbuslhr is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:06 pm
  #15  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 42,445
Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
Pretty sure you need some kind of ID to check in a bag seems pretty reasonable, otherwise anyone could check in a bag under your name if they got hold of your boarding pass.
also if at the gate it could be an issue with the biometric gates hence an ID check, quite common at Heathrow when the gates fail.
I am not sure it is that common at LHR tbh. I can only recall one example where thats happened for a domestic flight I was on, and thats from a reasonable sample size.

Unless things have changed at LGW N the biometrics are done at the top of the ramp before you go down to all the domestic gates rather than at the gate itself - so it does sound like an agent malfunction rather than a biometric malfunction
KARFA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.