Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Photo ID required at Gatwick - is this normal?

Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold

I had a strange one on my LGW-GLA flight on Saturday morning - I was asked for photo ID at the gate. I've not had this when flying BA at any other location to date, and I don't recall it being the case when I last travelled from LGW (south) in 2019 on a domestic leg (although that might just be bad memory). Is this just a standard LGW North Terminal process? Thankfully I had my drivers license with me, but I noticed the vast majority of other pax had their passports - so I very much felt like I was missing something that everyone else knew.

As a side note (and bone of contention) - no form of boarding priority on this flight at all - not even pre-boarding for those requiring assistance - just gate open, and first come first served as they hit the gate. Certainly no sign of boarding by group or CE pax getting on first (and 5 rows of nearly full CE on the flight, so it's not like there was only 1 or 2 CE pax).
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
It shouldnt be - domestic BA flights without luggage dont require IDs
chris1922Mk2 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OTOH, we would never EVER travel by air without our Passports. Who knows where you might be diverted? 🙂
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.
Photo Id for domestic flights on Ba seems to be getting more common
previously I have been asked for photo id but my because card was taken to be OK.
In July for a domestic I was asked for photo id when dropping off a bag despite having my baec card on my phone.

Regards

Tbs
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Perhaps to do with the handling agent? At LBA they insisted on photo ID for the BA flight to BHD, but it wasn't the same staff that had previously done the BA LHR service.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I suspect it is because the staff in the north terminal are not used to BA flights and didn't serve BA flights in the south terminal, and are simply used to what U2 requires for domestic flights.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect it is because the staff in the north terminal are not used to BA flights and didn't serve BA flights in the south terminal, and are simply used to what U2 requires for domestic flights.
They're still handled by BA's wholly owned subsidiary GGS though? Which is basically all ex BA ground staff TUPED out of the business.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Bronze | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Perhaps to do with the handling agent? At LBA they insisted on photo ID for the BA flight to BHD, but it wasn't the same staff that had previously done the BA LHR service.
Can confirm this. I was also asked for photo ID on the LBA-BHD flight. Haven't been asked on the GLA-BHD flights or any other domestic flights.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
They're still handled by BA's wholly owned subsidiary GGS though? Which is basically all ex BA ground staff TUPED out of the business.
I suspect it isn't the exBA ones at the gate in the north terminal though.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S
I was not asked last Friday so possibly they have been educated
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by efincomputer
I had a strange one on my LGW-GLA flight on Saturday morning - I was asked for photo ID at the gate. I've not had this when flying BA at any other location to date, and I don't recall it being the case when I last travelled from LGW (south) in 2019 on a domestic leg (although that might just be bad memory). Is this just a standard LGW North Terminal process? Thankfully I had my drivers license with me, but I noticed the vast majority of other pax had their passports - so I very much felt like I was missing something that everyone else knew.

As a side note (and bone of contention) - no form of boarding priority on this flight at all - not even pre-boarding for those requiring assistance - just gate open, and first come first served as they hit the gate. Certainly no sign of boarding by group or CE pax getting on first (and 5 rows of nearly full CE on the flight, so it's not like there was only 1 or 2 CE pax).
Things I learned, unlike in the States, you do not need an ID to get through domestic security in the UK... this seems very odd to me.
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kbooks66
Things I learned, unlike in the States, you do not need an ID to get through domestic security in the UK... this seems very odd to me.
We don't need to show ID to get on a bus, ferry or a train either.

Easyjet seems to have given up asking for ID on domestics too, mainly to prevent people giving something over that needs to be handled.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect it isn't the exBA ones at the gate in the north terminal though.
Not sure, but given GGS was BA only, they'd need to be new hires since COVID as BA let a load of their loyal, experienced and long serving ground staff go with a fraction ("the survivors") going to GGS on inferior ts & cs.
GGS don't handle anyone else so far as I know.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:53 pm

Pretty sure you need some kind of ID to check in a bag seems pretty reasonable, otherwise anyone could check in a bag under your name if they got hold of your boarding pass.
also if at the gate it could be an issue with the biometric gates hence an ID check, quite common at Heathrow when the gates fail.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
Pretty sure you need some kind of ID to check in a bag seems pretty reasonable, otherwise anyone could check in a bag under your name if they got hold of your boarding pass.
also if at the gate it could be an issue with the biometric gates hence an ID check, quite common at Heathrow when the gates fail.
I am not sure it is that common at LHR tbh. I can only recall one example where thats happened for a domestic flight I was on, and thats from a reasonable sample size.

Unless things have changed at LGW N the biometrics are done at the top of the ramp before you go down to all the domestic gates rather than at the gate itself - so it does sound like an agent malfunction rather than a biometric malfunction

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.