Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A350 Y bulkhead blocked due 'infant in my booking'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Edit: already after T-72

Hi All

I hope the experts here can help: I have booked earlier today a flight (BA 107) for next week Tuesday operated by an A350. We are flying Y.

Whilst I (BA Gold) was able to reserve quite good seats (31H - without a seat in front) and 30J (bulkhead aisle), I have tried to bring my wife (BA Bronze) to 30K (bulkhead window). The seat is shown as available on the seat map. Expert flyer shows the seat as blocked.

I get the following error message: 'We can assign you this seat to as this one is protected for customers travelling with an infant (ok I understand). This seat is available to because they are associated with the infant in your booking (that's I don't understand, our infant is still in my wife's belly so I am wondering about the predictive skills of the BA app )'

Anyone can help why I can't get 30K?

Many thanks
Daniel

Last edited by Duck1981; Oct 2, 2021 at 11:46 am
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Can you take 30K and give her 30J?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
you and the wife on seperate bookings? i suspect 30k seat is getting blocked when you move into 30j and the error may be misleading
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:08 pm

The seat is still infant blocked. Could try via RJ.com?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Can you take 30K and give her 30J?
unfortunately doesn’t work…
Old Oct 2, 2021, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
you and the wife on seperate bookings? i suspect 30k seat is getting blocked when you move into 30j and the error may be misleading
We are on the same booking…
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have a stinky sense the bassinet seats will remain blocked and may only be released by check in staff. This was the situation with the A380.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I have a stinky sense the bassinet seats will remain blocked and may only be released by check in staff. This was the situation with the A380.
That's definitely the case in WTP seats with bassinets, golds can't book till I think 24 hours before, maybe slightly before then.

Unlike BA's IT system to not be clear, correct or consistent...
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
It's blocked for someone with an infant. They don't open for golds. They sometimes do come available at -24 hours when it goes under airport control. I've nabbed a front row for that reason quite a few times.
Anonba likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
That's definitely the case in WTP seats with bassinets, golds can't book till I think 24 hours before, maybe slightly before then.

Unlike BA's IT system to not be clear, correct or consistent...
Originally Posted by pacenotes
It's blocked for someone with an infant. They don't open for golds. They sometimes do come available at -24 hours when it goes under airport control. I've nabbed a front row for that reason quite a few times.
Thank you all. I wasn't aware that there are hard blocked seats which cannot be selected by Golds at T-72.

In any case not the end of the world as we have good seats anyway; I was more amused by the reasoning of the app why we can't get the seat, BA's IT has clearly identified my wife's pregnancy via Artificial Intelligence or so
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In my experience pre-pandemic, at some point within T-72 the bassinet seats would cease to be shown as blocked on BA.com or in ExpertFlyer, but still could not be selected as the ‘reserved for passengers travelling with an infant’ pop up would appear. However, you could then call the Gold line and they would allocate the seat with the proviso that you could be shifted out again if there was a late booking by someone needing the bassinet. Alternatively, it would be possible to place yourself into the seat by entering your booking reference into RJ.com. Not sure whether there is any evidence to suggest either of these options are no longer open?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Hi All

so as a data point, also at check in they could not assign me the seat as it was blocked ‘due to trimming purposes’.

Y load was light so my wife was able to sit next to me in the end. Quite good seats as well if you fly Y.

Thanks for all your responses!

D
pacenotes likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:26 am

I've had this occur too. A phone call to BA resolved it.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I’ve had this on a B789, but I was able to resolve it via rj.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.