Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s the point of boarding group 1?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by efincomputer
We know our place! Now, is this Gold, Silver and Bronze, or GGL, Gold and Silver in the pic? ;-)
Certainly not the latter - GGL would never be seen standing with other people!
SxMan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Another thing that isn't done nearly enough is sending people back to the scrum if they try to board outside their group, whether this is done intentionally or not. Again, the segregated lines setup is useful for this because it trains people into understanding that there is a process to follow.
A sin-bin/naughty-step is needed where those who try and get through before their group get sidelined into a pen and are only dealt with when all other groups have boarded.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Petrus
Yes! Well done.
Hah! Haven't been there for 2,5 years now.

Given the signage I thought it must be somewhere in the US and based on the low ceilings I thought it might be JFK...
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This used to be a bug bear of mine but on my recent trips they have, from memory, done it properly.....both at LHR and at outstations
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I believe that was sarcasm / tongue-in-cheek. BA doesn't do priority luggage (except in F to/from LHR, I believe, but I could be wrong); those are just feel-good (or not) tags.
Actually I wasn't thinking of the EC tags...more about those little priority labels that get put on to the luggage at check in which seem to make no difference at all.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by JSM8
Actually I wasn't thinking of the EC tags...more about those little priority labels that get put on to the luggage at check in which seem to make no difference at all.
our experience is that the orange tags don't make much difference but bags tagged with the yellow ones do seem to come out quicker..
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by firstlight
our experience is that the orange tags don't make much difference but bags tagged with the yellow ones do seem to come out quicker..
I can only aspire to have a yellow one!
firstlight likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:21 pm

had a Stressfull situation at T5 yesterday on a TATL service.
Having been relatively socially distanced all through the airport, there was a complete scrum to the flight.
Group 1 was called, at which point half the departure hall got up and I was towards the back of the flight, some were turned away, but after 2 minutes (while I was still at the back of the line), group 2 was called in addition to group 1. I tried to edge forwards but was told by my fellow pax 'its groups 1 and 2'. So despite being gold, and getting up as soon as Group 1 was called, I was stuffed in the middle of Groups 2 and probably other odds and sods.
Unlike last time I travelled there was no separate 'priority emerald' line for boarding of later arriving Golds. I don't know why this has been done away with, but it is something I used regularly (especially in B gates if I made a kettle chip run to the lounge!).
Very disappointed by the boarding protocol at LHR and don't understand why the separate Gold line has been done away with.

Disembarking by row at New York was actually very good and civilised and safe.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by JSM8
I can only aspire to have a yellow one!
We get them in the first wing sometimes even when flying ET!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:31 pm

My recent domestics from LHR have been Group 1 first followed a good few minutes later by Group 2. And at GLA I saw a rather downtrodden couple being challenged "You realise this is Group 1 boarding only at the moment?". And yes, they did, and yes, they were.

I think we'd all live that little bit longer if we tried travelling without wheelie bins. A squashable bag takes a whole lot of stress out of everything regardless of when you board or where you're sat on the transport.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
This is like being in Group 1 boarding with DL, which means as many as five groups board in front of you. Or the time my wife and I paid for early boarding on one of our rare WN flights to have our pick of seats on the plane, only to find the plane was (no joke) already 1/4 full.

Once you accept that it's all a scam, you'll stop expecting the airlines to act rationally.
I’ve usually flown DL from DUB and pre-pandemic they enforced their boarding order, with roaming gate agents with signs held high with the current boarding group.

And always a “Thank you for your business” at the boarding pass scan…..
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
EI also enforce their priority boarding. I was rather embarrassed at BHD to emerge from the lounge as I heard (vaguely in the distance, as announcements not made in the lounge) an announcement for pre-boarding. I emerged to find a full-on queue at gate 4 (usually BA gate with jet bridge). An agent was roaming and asking for anyone with priority boarding. I made myself known, only to be the only passenger marched past the glaring queue to the front!
T8191 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
My recent domestics from LHR have been Group 1 first followed a good few minutes later by Group 2. And at GLA I saw a rather downtrodden couple being challenged "You realise this is Group 1 boarding only at the moment?". And yes, they did, and yes, they were.
Sadly not for today's BA1487 down to Heathrow. After call for those with young children or needing assistance boarding, it was followed by a call for Groups 1, 2 and 3., which i believe covers Club Europe, Gold, Silver, Bronze and their OW equivalents (Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby). It was at least something though - the LGW-GLA flight earlier today had NO priority announcements at all - just suddenly they started scanning boarding passes and the queue moved. Consistently inconsistent :-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.