Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dirty Bedding - Rant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Dirty Bedding - Rant

This may be a "first-world problem" but I want to share this with you folks.

I have flown with BA a few times during covid, expecting greater care especially when it comes to cleaning the cabin. I must be pretty unlucky as I have always found an issue; whether it is dirty seat handles/belts/table trays or M&Ms by the side of the seat, there was always something minor at least.

With my most recent BA experience, I was flying back from MBJ on club world. Nothing out of the norm at the start, with a pillow and bedding bag on my seat. An hour or so into the flight, as I was preparing my bed for sleep, I grabbed my bag and noticed that it was damp (first warning). At first, I thought maybe the bag was put in a cool environment and this dampness was due to condensation. I began to unzip the bag and noticed that the seal was broken (second warning). Upon revealing the content, the bedding was messy (third warning) but still did not think too much about it. I touched the bedding and it was moist (fourth warning). At this point, I'm pretty sure that I was in denial that something was wrong with my bedding. I don't know what compelled me to do so, but I brought the wet bedding up to my nose, removed my mask, and took a whiff.

It was piss.

I also noticed that the part of my chair where the bedding sat on top of was damp, and my pillow smelt sour. I alerted the cabin crew quickly and they got me a new set of bedding and a new pillow shortly. In fairness the cabin crew were great, and they apologised profusely, but the damage was done.

I really don't think this is acceptable under any circumstances, and their claims of cleanliness are BS. Pretty lousy club world experience in my opinion and not value for money.

I sent a complaint to BA and while the customer service agent apologised, they did not (or could not?) offer any compensation.

Anyone else with similar experiences or am I just unlucky?

p.s. mods - I don't want to get anyone fired. If this thread could result in that, please remove - thanks.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Dirty cabin yes. Dirty bedding never.

Sounds like an awful experience. Piss? Really?
Synapseturquoise and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KaiW90
Anyone else with similar experiences.
I suspect it wasn't urine and had been sprayed with alcohol/chlorine due to Covid.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Urine or something else foul-smelling; I did not go for a second sniff.

Definitely not alcohol or chlorine though

edit - could be a beer. Some beers smell of piss
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
How much compensation are you after?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
How much compensation are you after?
I'm not expecting any compensation for posting this thread
BA has already told me that no compensation can be given for what happened
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I'm not expecting any compensation for posting this thread
BA has already told me that no compensation can be given for what happened
and their reasoning was?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stormbel
and their reasoning was?
They apologised for the experience and will use my comments to guide them and improve their service...

Then, regarding compensation:

"I'm afraid we can't look to offer compensation on this occasion."

They didn't say anything else. I would have thought that this experience would warrant some compensation, but no.

The cabin crew were aware of what happened, but maybe customer service agents aren't able to verify it?
​​​​​
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe during the switch over in MBJ your bedding pack was mixed up with a disembarking passenger pack. I am sure errors occur when there's humans involved. Glad the crew had a spare fresh set
etiene and bisonrav like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:11 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I once found the previous flyers pyjamas and slippers under the footstool in 1A (747) I didn't make a fuss but just asked that a note be made to report it to the oprations at Heathrow so they were aware. I then went to sleep and woke up to find a bottle of Grand Siecle in my suite as a thank you for not raising a complaint
EDIwanderer, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In the pre-Covid past I unwrapped my blanket in CW which was damp and smelled strange. I just assumed a laundry failure … the CC exchanged it without either of us making further comment.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
They apologised for the experience and will use my comments to guide them and improve their service...

Then, regarding compensation:

"I'm afraid we can't look to offer compensation on this occasion."

They didn't say anything else. I would have thought that this experience would warrant some compensation, but no.​​​​​
Why isn’t an apology sufficient?

What would you like compensating for when there’s been no loss or injury and the crew apparently did their best to make things right?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Why isn’t an apology sufficient?

What would you like compensating for when there’s been no loss or injury and the crew apparently did their best to make things right?
So pissed blankets are ok? Would carefully wrapped No. 2's be ok in that case? There has clearly been a failure here.
VSLover, NoY and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tocsin
So pissed blankets are ok? Would carefully wrapped No. 2's be ok in that case? There has clearly been a failure here.
But what is the compensation for? A replacement bedding set was provided so problem solved in the moment surely?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by L1705
But what is the compensation for? A replacement bedding set was provided so problem solved in the moment surely?
Well, its a pretty poor experience coming across human waste. if one of my customers suffered this due to a failing on my side I'd go out of my way with a gesture and apology.
NoY and Tocsin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.