Qatar cancelled flight / Avios booking

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Hi all

Hoping you can help.

I have a multi-carrier award booking made using BA avios - which includes 2 sectors on Qatar.

Qatar have subsequently cancelled my flights and rebooked me to fly effectively a day later. My preferred option is to fly a day earlier - on which there are seats to buy.

On phoning BA Exec Club to change my booking - they advise that they can only rebook me on alternative flights which have Avios availability - and needless to say there are none.

Is this correct ? Am i limited to Avios availability even when Qatar were the ones who cancelled my flight ?

Pls advise ...

Last edited by mitchmagi; Sep 27, 2021 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
This doesn't sound right. I've had Qatar sectors changed to BA and back again on an avios flight and the first time it happened I was moved into a revenue bucket. Second time the flight was changed and ended up with a sub minimum MCT and it got changed again.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
When this happened to me on an Alaska flight BA had to contact the Oneworld desk to ask them to release availability. This was pre-pandemic but from memory it did work.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I was told the same as you a few years ago when my QR flight was cancelled, that there needed to be avios availability. I took it at face value and just got a refund. I'd be interested to know if this was true!
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think BAEC can force QR to release revenue seats for an Avios booking, and they certainly won't buy you a seat!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by englisha
I was told the same as you a few years ago when my QR flight was cancelled, that there needed to be avios availability. I took it at face value and just got a refund. I'd be interested to know if this was true!
yes, generally if you have an avios booking on a non BA flight which gets cancelled, you need avios availability on the new flight. There is the possibility of trying to go through the oneworld liaison desk to overcome this as noted earlier on the thread - but that’s not guaranteed to be successful.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:16 am

I wonder if this might depend on when the cancellation takes place? I have a had made with avios cancelled this month and BA have put me on the alternative BA flights I wanted even though there was no Avios availability. I also had fight from LAX cancelled when I was already in LAX and BA was offering a silly rerouting which would have meant coming back a day later. The BA call centre put me on an alternative combination of AA flights to come back the same day.

Originally Posted by mitchmagi
Hi all

Hoping you can help.

I have a multi-carrier award booking made using BA avios - which includes 2 sectors on Qatar.

Qatar have subsequently cancelled my flights and rebooked me to fly effectively a day later. My preferred option is to fly a day earlier - on which there are seats to buy.

On phoning BA Exec Club to change my booking - they advise that they can only rebook me on alternative flights which have Avios availability - and needless to say there are none.

Is this correct ? Am i limited to Avios availability even when Qatar were the ones who cancelled my flight ?

Pls advise ...
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jonolhr
I wonder if this might depend on when the cancellation takes place? I have a had made with avios cancelled this month and BA have put me on the alternative BA flights I wanted even though there was no Avios availability. I also had fight from LAX cancelled when I was already in LAX and BA was offering a silly rerouting which would have meant coming back a day later. The BA call centre put me on an alternative combination of AA flights to come back the same day.
For cancelled BA flights booked with Avios, redemption availability on other BA flights is not needed.

I think the OP would likely have the option of being re-routed on BA without needing availability but I’m guessing they would either like to stick on QR or BA doesn’t fly where they’re going.

The policies for BA/AA are a little different due to the transatlantic joint venture.

Timing can open up more flexibility, but this is generally about flights cancelled in the 24 hours before departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.