Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloomberg Reporting USA to open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
What are the odds BA reinstates recently cancelled LAS flights from 8-15th?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
What are the odds BA reinstates recently cancelled LAS flights from 8-15th?
It's an interesting question. I honestly don't know the answer. On the one hand there's (presumably) a lot of pent up demand for flights to the USA and airlines would want to capitalise on this. From a competition point of view it would be in BA's interests to be able to start flights on the 8th November or as soon as possible afterwards. If, for the sake of argument, Virgin Atlantic is operating to Las Vegas from the 8th November then I think BA will do everything possible to ensure it flies there then too. It won't want to lose revenue to the competition! Whether BA can do this, from an operational point of view, is a different matter altogether. However, it has known for some time that the US was to open in "early November" and hence you'd have assumed they'd have been making strategic plans for a rapid ramp-up in passengers and services to the USA.

It also begs the question whether some of the recent December short-haul cancellations will also be reinstated. Not everyone flies just to / from London and if BA doesn't have the feeder network in place to support its long haul operations then it may not fully benefit from the US reopening as quickly as it might otherwise.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I really cannot imagine wanting to be flying to the US in those first weeks of opening. Firstly, the aircraft are going to be fully loaded. Secondly, crew shortages and rapidly deployed aircraft will stretch both Airlines' and Airports' operations. Thirdly, pricing if you haven't already purchased your ticket will be through the roof. And fourthly, some states in the US still have very high Covid rates and are not really suitable for carefree holidays. Florida Covid rates have dropped significantly but I am shocked by the lack of mask wearing and lack of social distancing. I do really hope people don't act like things are normal yet. They're really not. Vaccination rates in Florida amongst younger people are only around 50% too !
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I really cannot imagine wanting to be flying to the US in those first weeks of opening. Firstly, the aircraft are going to be fully loaded. Secondly, crew shortages and rapidly deployed aircraft will stretch both Airlines' and Airports' operations. Thirdly, pricing if you haven't already purchased your ticket will be through the roof. And fourthly, some states in the US still have very high Covid rates and are not really suitable for carefree holidays. Florida Covid rates have dropped significantly but I am shocked by the lack of mask wearing and lack of social distancing. I do really hope people don't act like things are normal yet. They're really not. Vaccination rates in Florida amongst younger people are only around 50% too !
The other factor, which I think gets missed a lot, is that certain parts of the States are taking the restrictions seriously and not much has reopened. Here in the SF Bay Area (where vaccination levels are v good- we are now onto children) the majority of companies haven't even set a date for returning to the office and we still have mask mandates widely in force (though SF itself relaxed their rules slightly today). That has two impacts:
  1. Zero point in business travelers coming out when their clients/colleagues aren't in the office and won't want to meet face to face; and
  2. Cities are still pretty much ghost towns- especially SF- meaning it is not attractive to tourism.
I was in SF last week for the first time since Feb 2020. I was shocked at the amount of boarded up buildings and closed down coffee shops, hotels, restaurants etc along Mission and Market. I took a wander through the Ferry Building and the majority of shops were shuttered, including popular places pre-pandemic. It was also empty despite the fact that Americans are free to visit. Seattle by all accounts is pretty similar. SoCal is a lot more open but that has its own issues. I would say that only in the last three weeks or so have I had good contacts willing to meet for an outdoor lunch. I haven't been to the UK or Europe but I understand the position is very different.

The people that do want to travel are those that have been directly impacted by the ban. Families that have been kept apart by the ban. Which I personally can relate to given we have a two year old that has never met her grandparents.

Personally I don't quite understand why one would be itching to get to the States for a vacation alone. I'd be leaving it well until the New Year for the multitude of reasons you have stated plus many more.

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Does anyone have any insight into how the BA "ramp up" is going to look?

I assume we can see more rotations being added to JFK, LAX, ORD, MIA almost immediately but what of the other destinations? I think SAN has resumed. What about SJC? There are many more newer routes that were launched in the years before the pandemic. Will they return? Nashville? What of Portland, OR?
SJC won't be back until the summer season. It was always 'light' in the winter months. It didn't even run over the Christmas fortnight, as an example. Additionally, the businesses that it serves are not back in the office yet. Therefore they won't be authorizing business travel either.

Can't see Portland for a long while.

Last edited by PoincianaKings; Oct 15, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:46 pm

Another thing is that there's a shortage of rental cars and prices are high.
The rental car companies got rid of their cars when demand was low and can't easily replace them
now because of microchip shortage that has cut production of new cars

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-at-least-2022
Keystone, Klrduks and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jayjaygee
I see that VS have just confirmed that they will restart LHR to MCO and LAS from 8th November, so we await some announcement from BA.
With U.K. kids over 12 still banned from the US, those Orlando services may not last long.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
The rental car companies got rid of their cars when demand was low and can't easily replace them
now because of microchip shortage that has cut production of new cars

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-at-least-2022
I’m holding off for now. I used to pick dates, then check hotel prices and book the flight if OK. But now the stumbling block is car hire rates. They’re now so expensive they’re key to timing. Much of US is car dependant for ease. Whilst useless in NYC and not necessary everywhere, for many destinations a car is essential.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Raffles
With U.K. kids over 12 still banned from the US, those Orlando services may not last long.
Are they? Where have those rules been published?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by dougzz
I’m holding off for now. I used to pick dates, then check hotel prices and book the flight if OK. But now the stumbling block is car hire rates. They’re now so expensive they’re key to timing. Much of US is car dependant for ease. Whilst useless in NYC and not necessary everywhere, for many destinations a car is essential.
Talking of car rental, for those wanting LAS and with BA LAS direct coming, car hire has been extremely expensive here aswell, relative to before.

This won't improve for some months.

I'd recommend off airport rentals, if price is the only concern.
dougzz likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I have just been on the phone to BA holidays on the Silver line, for nearly 2 hours. My flight on the 7th of November is still running but we need to quarantine on arrival, even if allowed in. Changing the outbound to 2 days later on an indirect flight flying in Club instead of first, results in a £750 charge per person and presumably a reduction in TP’s?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by botham
I have just been on the phone to BA holidays on the Silver line, for nearly 2 hours. My flight on the 7th of November is still running but we need to quarantine on arrival, even if allowed in. Changing the outbound to 2 days later on an indirect flight flying in Club instead of first, results in a £750 charge per person and presumably a reduction in TP’s?
There may not be much difference on the TPs since though you will go down from 210 TPs to 140 for going CW, you would presumably pick up 40 TPs on the second flight. And another 40 TPs if there is a third flight. As ever it depends on the details. If BA runs the service but a vacation is unrealistic (e.g. due to government restrictions) then BA is required to offer a full refund. The could choose to assist you find a replacement arrangement instead but that's not a requirement. There may well be ways of reconstructing the holiday, or choosing different combinations of routes and dates, which will bring the cost down, but again that depends on specific details. Fundamentally you have to decide whether you want to travel "now", but accept some changes to plans and/or cost, or find a similarly priced arrangement at presumably a later date.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
The rental car companies got rid of their cars when demand was low and can't easily replace them now because of microchip shortage that has cut production of new cars
I've been looking at car hire from Salt Lake City for next May/June, and am being quoted ridiculous rates - the kind of rates that would make me think twice about going at all. I'm holding off in the hope that rates might fall but am also concerned that if I wait too long there'll be fewer cars available and even higher rates.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There may not be much difference on the TPs since though you will go down from 210 TPs to 140 for going CW, you would presumably pick up 40 TPs on the second flight. And another 40 TPs if there is a third flight. As ever it depends on the details. If BA runs the service but a vacation is unrealistic (e.g. due to government restrictions) then BA is required to offer a full refund. The could choose to assist you find a replacement arrangement instead but that's not a requirement. There may well be ways of reconstructing the holiday, or choosing different combinations of routes and dates, which will bring the cost down, but again that depends on specific details. Fundamentally you have to decide whether you want to travel "now", but accept some changes to plans and/or cost, or find a similarly priced arrangement at presumably a later date.
Sorry, my last post was ambiguous. I have actually booked seats in J from Heathrow to Chicago, then on American to MCO, after a 4 hr layover, returning in F on our original flight from MIA to LHR. The additional cost including the downgrade is £750 per person.

I have attempted this trip three times, getting tremendous value in first class, but now I have to accept that I won’t be enjoying the LPGS champagne or the CCR. C’est la vie. The TP’s are 390 instead of 440, but this may not be enough to retain silver!
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are they? Where have those rules been published?
They are not published yet, but various news outlets are writing this. It would not be unusual - Germany does not allow 12+ kids from the U.K. to visit unless they quarantine, for example, irrespective of parent status.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Where did you get this information from? Kids over 12 to how old? That means children up to 12 years old and adults over 18??? can get into the country?? That's just nonsense.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.