BA to serve The Azores in 2022

Old Jul 7, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
In TER now, will update on our experiences of the Azores which has been excellent so far in detail when back as a few have been asking, but just wanted to give a heads up to those on BAH flight and car bookings or standalone Avis/Budget reservations.

There is no Avis/Budget in the Azores, they use Ilha Verde Car Rental. Nowhere in my booking email can I see anything about this. This is not like the common franchise arrangements where it's actually a third party but the experience is Avis with Preferred and everything integrated with Avis Systems.

Didn't collect the car until a couple of days after arriving at PDL so not sure what the situation was like after the BA service had arrived but it took 90 minutes to get a car on Monday. No Avis Preferred queue, no Preferred Benefits - as Presidents Club got a 6 year old Nissan Micra in terrible condition and nearly 100,000km on the clock.

After waiting over an hour (despite only 3 customers in front) they couldn't find the Avis reservation which involved a lengthy phone call to resolve. The Avis reservation was a pay later at 132 (around EUR160) but they are saying it's EUR290. After arguing this on return and the agent again trying to speak to Ilha Verde reservations we left with this unresolved. I was assured that I would only be charged the Avis amount but I doubt it very much and will be raising a complaint with Avis either way about the overall experience.

On returning there was also a huge queue at the desk,with passengers from overnight US flights complaining they had been waiting over 2 hours, the situation compounded by people at the front of the queue having to wait for cars to be washed and prepped before they could get keys.

Overall they are a bit of a disaster, on both collection and return. At PDL the issue seemed isolated to Ilha Verde with huge queues while the other desks were empty in the terminal. Used Angrauto at TER which was much better, and a significant better quality car.

If you can make alternative arrangements (I know not an option for BAH and possibly difficult for standalone given the general lack of availability of cars everywhere) it may be a good idea. If not come prepared for a long wait and check your total amount if not prepaid.
KARFA, ankomonkey, Tocsin and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Looking forward to the inaugural flight to TER on Sunday; It doesn’t look very full on expert flyer

I booked hire cars through the local companies; hope this helps!

Doing TER Flores & Ponta Degala in a week

May be ambitious!
MarcD and ankomonkey like this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:33 pm

Ahh, an inaugural flight Trip Report on the BA forum - nature is healing

Seriously, thank you for the updates. It's great to have some good news on here!
Fritz, pennineuk, MarcD and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 11:48 am

Quick question

The covid verification on the BA app
asks for vaccination status but then says no evidence of vaccination is required for Portugal

I thought the Azores were an exception to this ; there was nowhere in the questionnaire to upload anything

I will wait and see if my verification has been accepted and allowed to check in
Old Jul 8, 22, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
Quick question

The covid verification on the BA app
asks for vaccination status but then says no evidence of vaccination is required for Portugal

I thought the Azores were an exception to this ; there was nowhere in the questionnaire to upload anything

I will wait and see if my verification has been accepted and allowed to check in
This I think will have changed since last week. The form was asking for vaccine certificate which we uploaded. There were no checks on arrival at TER.

I was also of the opinion that the Azores still has some restrictions unlike the mainland and Madeira, although BA IT may not have made that distinction.

If you're able to OLCI I'd just make sure to have vaccination certificate to hand but very much doubt you'll need it on arrival.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 11:57 pm

In Galleries North
Thank heavens for fast track
Big security lines this morning

TER inaugural; bring it ion

Update to vaccine certificate re Azores

Not required from July 1
MarcD, ankomonkey and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
In Galleries North
Thank heavens for fast track
Big security lines this morning

TER inaugural; bring it ion

Update to vaccine certificate re Azores

Not required from July 1
Have a great time away 👍

When you say Fast Track security, is that the one located behind the BA check in zone H?

I'm currently silver, so can only use fast track but not first wing

Have you taken hold luggage?

With all of the reported current chaos with bags,
I am 90% sure that I'll be taking just HBO on my flight to Ponta Delgada on Saturday 🤔
Old Jul 10, 22, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
Have a great time away 👍

Must have a load factor of around 50%

When you say Fast Track security, is that the one located behind the BA check in zone H?

I'm currently silver, so can only use fast track but not first wing

Have you taken hold luggage?

With all of the reported current chaos with bags,
I am 90% sure that I'll be taking just HBO on my flight to Ponta Delgada on Saturday 🤔
There is north and south security; I believe both have a fast track facility

All on time so far and boarding early Must have a load factor of around 50%
MarcD and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 2:28 am

The pilot mentions its the first flight

Passed the BEA tail retrojet on the apron

Lovely view of the channel
islands this morning

Breakfast good apart from the weird coconut desert thing

Lost wifi after Brittany but seems to have reappeared

Old Jul 10, 22, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Enjoy!

I dont think TER flights will do anywhere near as well as PDL, but then if theyre getting subsidised, who cares!
MarcD and allturnleft like this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:00 am

only 4 passengers expected on the return

Just landed
MarcD likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:23 am

Welcome to Lages!

Flags out of windows

Welcoming party

A tale tail
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:24 am

No wait for bags
Old Jul 10, 22, 6:04 am

On board the return now. 15 passengers in total. We are the only ones in CE.

Pre departure champagne offered to all including ET which was a nice touch. Also dine on demand offered for lunch.

It does look like PDL will be the better performing route.

salut0 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 7:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
only 4 passengers expected on the return
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
On board the return now. 15 passengers in total. We are the only ones in CE.
The Azores look interesting, I love Portugal and Id love to go, but how does this work economically? Does the route make sense because of cargo? Or because some company will use it intensively? Or is it a political sop to someone? Cant understand how that works if there are so few passengers, even if it is subsidized
allturnleft likes this.

Search this Thread