Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chances of BA adding Sydney to their schedule earlier than Apr 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of BA adding Sydney to their schedule earlier than Apr 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Colesmore
Feeding into this, BA15/16 is now the only BA route to/from SIN til Oct 31, with BA 11/12 resuming over the northern winter. Will be interesting to see if closer to the date they make further cuts to 11/12 (or 15/16).
I was booked on BA 11/12 in April/May enroute to Australia with QF the rest of the way. I booked AA mileage redemption PE on BA back in November. At some point 11/12 was cancelled and also the QF connecting flight to BNE! They booked me on the next flight out 36 hours later! I did not receive any notification of this and just noticed by luck this week when I started looking at the apps (Registered the trip on both BA and QF apps so I can do seat selections - QF for free and BA for a fee!)

Really disappointed in the cancellation of BA11/12 as it was the A380. Much prefer it to the B777. I can only hope it swaps, but unlikely.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Virtually every competitor supports a late departure from London and an early arrival into SYD. Other hubs also have seamless connections. Whats the BA niche?
Reliability? How often was the SIN-SYD leg cancelled.
I don't get the arrive at 5am mentality. Even with the benefits of flat beds in J, my preference is always for an evening arrival into Australia. I was flying into Syd for work during the time BA introduced the flat beds. We never tried to go straight to the office. My boss came on the first trip and was so messed up with jet lag both ways he let us fly out Friday so we got there on Saturday night and have all day Sunday to recover before going into the office on Monday. This was when both QF and BA had 2 flights each into Sydney daily.

When going back for family, I've always tried to find late arriving flights. CX was may favourite with an 11pm arrival in BNE. Straight home, shower and bed. Because of all the schedule changes and covid issues I'm having to take my next flight back with a 10am arrival (transiting SIN and SYD to get there!)

It will be shame in a way if BA does pull out of Sydney, but they do need to up their game to catch up to the competition.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
SYD attracts a lot of leisure travellers in J. They are price sensitive too.
I think this is the same for PER also as many are visiting friends and family in both directions. The thing is though at least pre COVID QF had no problem in filling the business cabin hence very high rates prices noting that at least a quarter of that originated/terminates at MEL. For some it's a "once in a life time journey" and pay the cost of being in biz. Funny how some of us would do the trip for 5 days..😁
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by dddc
Even with the benefits of flat beds in J, my preference is always for an evening arrival into Australia.
I always find other people's way of doing thing interesting. I'm in the arrive first thing in the morning camp. I find if I force myself to stay awake as long as I can that day it helps tremendously with jetlag. Only another 5 sleeps and I'll be on my way :-)
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by louie-m
I'm in the arrive first thing in the morning camp.)
Well yes and no, as far as I am concerned.

If I'm arriving in my home country, then yes, as I can get home as soon as possible and crash.

If I'm arriving anywhere else, after a long flight, well, it's a PITA.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I don't get the arrive at 5am mentality. Even with the benefits of flat beds in J, my preference is always for an evening arrival into Australia........
Two potential advantages of morning arrival for some,

(1) some employer's travel policy restricts Business Class to Long Haul AND when you will start work pretty much immediately on arrival - an evening arrival might disqualify some from being able to travel in that class.
(2) It potentially saves on a nights accommodation - if I want to do 4 days of sightseeing or 4 days work I potentially need 5 nights accommodation if I arrive late at night
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
I was booked on BA 11/12 in April/May enroute to Australia with QF the rest of the way. I booked AA mileage redemption PE on BA back in November. At some point 11/12 was cancelled and also the QF connecting flight to BNE! They booked me on the next flight out 36 hours later! I did not receive any notification of this and just noticed by luck this week when I started looking at the apps (Registered the trip on both BA and QF apps so I can do seat selections - QF for free and BA for a fee!)

Really disappointed in the cancellation of BA11/12 as it was the A380. Much prefer it to the B777. I can only hope it swaps, but unlikely.
Feeding into this, BA15/16 is now the only BA route to/from SIN til Oct 31, with BA 11/12 resuming over the northern winter. Will be interesting to see if closer to the date they make further cuts to 11/12 (or 15/16).
I am booked on BA 11/12 May/June and both flights still showing in MMB operated by a 787-9.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
I am booked on BA 11/12 May/June and both flights still showing in MMB operated by a 787-9.
You might want to check BA.com, as only BA0015/16 is on sale
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
I guess keep an eye out but should be a straight switch onto 15/16. 11/12 not bookable for April through October.

BA provided some comments to ET on it within https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...hts-from-march
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
I guess keep an eye out but should be a straight switch onto 15/16. 11/12 not bookable for April through October.

BA provided some comments to ET on it within https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...hts-from-march
Will keep an eye on things, never checked my email so much as I have over the last few months, the amount of changes and cancellations that I have had. Was hoping for a change to the A380, but as long as it happens that’s the main thing.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Australian borders to re open on 21st Feb.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...vals/100810762
mrow likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Great news but I wonder if BA can react in time to take advantage of the Easter holidays.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Two potential advantages of morning arrival for some,

(1) some employer's travel policy restricts Business Class to Long Haul AND when you will start work pretty much immediately on arrival - an evening arrival might disqualify some from being able to travel in that class.
(2) It potentially saves on a nights accommodation - if I want to do 4 days of sightseeing or 4 days work I potentially need 5 nights accommodation if I arrive late at night
Absolutely no chance I’d go to Sydney on business and fly economy because I arrived in the evening.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by wb1969
Great news but I wonder if BA can react in time to take advantage of the Easter holidays.
Flights are starting at the end of March and Easter is mid-April, so they already are taking advantage of Easter holidays.

Pilot37
Brighterside and mrow like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Flights are starting at the end of March and Easter is mid-April, so they already are taking advantage of Easter holidays.

Pilot37
Hope so, I'm booking for 12th :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.