Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA.com booking showing as travel agent booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Backstory, booked a return flight on BA.com part paid with FTV, followed with POUG to the next cabin (WTP). Later tried to upgrade further (to CW) with avios but needed to switch to different fare class ( P to T ), this upgrade didn't go through as the CW seat was booked and BA moved me back to fare P. Since then, MMB show "This is a trade or travel agent booking" everytime I try to cancel or make changes, and can't choose seats as it says "Seat choices are only available at check-in.", Also the e-ticket for the leg I wanted to upgrade to CW isn't showing on the BA app.

I contacted BA many times regarding this but no one took the time to understand the issue and they say the same thing "the booking is completely fine and the e-ticket is issued/confirmed and there is nothing for them to do". Is this true? Has anyone experienced this and know a way to get around this or solve it?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Skyrocker
Backstory, booked a return flight on BA.com part paid with FTV, followed with POUG to the next cabin (WTP). Later tried to upgrade further (to CW) with avios but needed to switch to different fare class ( P to T ), this upgrade didn't go through as the CW seat was booked and BA moved me back to fare P. Since then, MMB show "This is a trade or travel agent booking" everytime I try to cancel or make changes, and can't choose seats as it says "Seat choices are only available at check-in.", Also the e-ticket for the leg I wanted to upgrade to CW isn't showing on the BA app.

I contacted BA many times regarding this but no one took the time to understand the issue and they say the same thing "the booking is completely fine and the e-ticket is issued/confirmed and there is nothing for them to do". Is this true? Has anyone experienced this and know a way to get around this or solve it?
The first problem is that you cannot upgrade using avios (UuA) after a POUG. You can upgrade with a POUG or AUP after UuA but not the reverse. This is the probably the source of the issues involved with trying to change fare classes and then having the upgrade fail.

Normally after a POUG is accepted a ticket becomes nonchargeable and nonrefundable. You can read more about POUGs in post 1 of this thread:
Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2021 thread

As to seats, do you have status so as to select seats?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The first problem is that you cannot upgrade using avios (UuA) after a POUG. You can upgrade with a POUG or AUP after UuA but not the reverse. This is the probably the source of the issues involved with trying to change fare classes and then having the upgrade fail.

Normally after a POUG is accepted a ticket becomes nonchargeable and nonrefundable. You can read more about POUGs in post 1 of this thread:
Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2021 thread

As to seats, do you have status so as to select seats?
Interesting, so the reason I see the "this is a travel agent booking" and "seat selection available at check-in" is due to the POUG, not due to the missing e-ticket number on the ba.com or something wrong with the booking? Sadly, no status, I soft landed all the way to blue. Thank your help,
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No seat selection is probably due to your lack of status. You can see the seating rules here:
BA Seating Policy Guide

No ticket number associated with your flights is usually not a good sign. You may need to call.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No seat selection is probably due to your lack of status. You can see the seating rules here:
BA Seating Policy Guide

No ticket number associated with your flights is usually not a good sign. You may need to call.
I can view the seat map and pay for a seat for my return flight. Only my outbound flight not showing seat map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.