FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Heathrow Delays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2051541-heathrow-delays.html)

KARFA Sep 5, 2021 7:36 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 33544827)
Do these long queues and delays impact only arrivals at LHR, or do they impact connections as well? And is it at all terminals? Because a family member needs to connect at T5 international to domestic (MAN), there’s currently a 2 hour connecting time - but concerned that the person would miss the connecting flight due to these horrendous queues!

INT-DOM connection area in T5 is much quieter and 2 hours is plenty. It is a separate area of immigration solely for those connecting on to UK/DUB flights.

The _Banking_Scot Sep 5, 2021 7:36 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 33544827)
Do these long queues and delays impact only arrivals at LHR, or do they impact connections as well? And is it at all terminals? Because a family member needs to connect at T5 international to domestic (MAN), there’s currently a 2 hour connecting time - but concerned that the person would miss the connecting flight due to these horrendous queues!

Hi,

I understand the lengthy queues impact arrivals at LHR and connections are not affected to anywhere near the same degree.

Regards

TBS

carrotjuice Sep 5, 2021 8:27 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 33544834)
I understand the lengthy queues impact arrivals at LHR and connections are not affected to anywhere near the same degree.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33544832)
INT-DOM connection area in T5 is much quieter and 2 hours is plenty. It is a separate area of immigration solely for those connecting on to UK/DUB flights.

Thanks very much for clarification… a relief to hear… much appreciated!

Neilgcal Sep 5, 2021 8:59 am

Deleted

KARFA Sep 5, 2021 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal (Post 33544979)
I have an arrival on QR in J into T5 and then onto BA with split tickets. 3 hours 35 minutes and it’s T5 to T5 so should be masses of time. But should I experience the delays mentioned above then it’s not achievable.

Where do I stand if I have to leave the UK arrival immigration queue and then move to connections and have to leave my luggage at LHR on the reclaim belt? Can I get to my destination which is ABZ and request the bag to be sent there? I don’t mind collecting from the airport. And if this was a possibility would I report that to QR that my address is Aberdeen or to BA bearing in mind I never checked a bag?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I thought QR policy is to check through bags on separate oneworld tickets?

DYKWIA Sep 5, 2021 9:04 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 33544735)
Ben (Lucky) from OMAAT described it as a complete clusterf**k https://onemileatatime.com/insights/..._jspC020VWEYjo

It always amuses me Americans complaining about immigration queues. His wait was 90 minutes… that’s about usual for arrival into the US for a foreigner (or it was when I used to do it regularly). A lot of times it would be far worse!

Neilgcal Sep 5, 2021 9:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33544983)
I thought QR policy is to check through bags on separate oneworld tickets?

Just realised I posted in the wrong thread as meant to put it in the immigration delays one.

Do they? Even if they are totally different PNR’s? It’s not 2 separate tickets in the same booking so unless I showed them the other booking they would have no knowledge of onwards flights.

KARFA Sep 5, 2021 9:10 am

Yes. Even on separate bookings. Just show them your bp or ticket for the onward journey.

some more information here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...hreads-11.html

Neilgcal Sep 5, 2021 9:24 am

That is excellent, thanks for the link KARFA.

IAMORGAN Sep 5, 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 33544987)
It always amuses me Americans complaining about immigration queues. His wait was 90 minutes… that’s about usual for arrival into the US for a foreigner (or it was when I used to do it regularly). A lot of times it would be far worse!

Well I’ve certainly stood in a corridor at JFK for more than 90 minutes in the past. But that doesn’t make it acceptable. I’ve never queued for so long at world class airports like SIN. UK plc is capable of much better. If we want tourists to keep coming, businesses to invest etc then we need to make sure the first experience people have of our country is a positive one.

oceanscape Sep 5, 2021 11:40 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 33544987)

Yes but the joke is on UK citizens, as Americans would never wait 90 minutes to get into their own country. US-entry for non citizens has customarily always been hit-and-miss and could be hours at a time at some airport entry points; but what is disgraceful about the current situation at LHR T5 is that it impacts UK residents returning home to their own country as much, if not more, than non-residents arriving into the country. We never seem to prioritise our own citizens over others, unlike 99% of other countries.

pauleeepaul Sep 5, 2021 11:52 am

A few years back when i was commuting to London more than once i gently chided fellow Americans waiting at the UK border and making comments on what international visitors experienced arriving in the US. When traveling back with a colleague without a US passport I would routinely clear immigration, get my ride, and make the 45 minute journey home, whilst my colleague was still in the queue at JFK.

stuvoi Sep 7, 2021 2:08 am

I flew back into T5 yesterday morning. (International arrivals)
Arrivals for UK/EU & US nationals all allowed to use Biometrics - time to get through 10 minutes. (Mainly becasue the chap had to keep shouting for people to take their masks off
Arrivals for non UK/EU/US nationals - that was one big queue, looked like anyone in it was in for a long wait, I decided not to hang around with a stop watch though

Adstring Sep 7, 2021 2:24 am

I think the annoying part of this is that is entirely predictable. Border Force know more than they ever have about our travel patterns. Shock horror...lots of families with kids return to the UK during the last weekend of the holidays! I also appreciate that Heathrow is handling more bucket and spade flights than before. Again, the consequences are not unpredictable.

Coupled with reports that other UK airports (like MAN) have fully staffed desks with people sailing through in minutes, why can we not deploy resources to where they are needed most for the (entirely predictable) spikes at Heathrow? And guess what..it will happen again at half term if we don't learn the lessons.

Fatdickie Sep 7, 2021 3:12 am

Surely if you are flying internally within the UK, there is no reason to go through immigration, border control etc

Eg flying back from say Edinburgh, are you not just funnelled straight through to baggage reclaim and the exit?