Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 13, 21, 9:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: BAeuro
Wiki Link
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 21, 9:15 pm

Some more info relating to an anticipated start date contained within this email ...

paulaf likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 4, 21 at 9:20 pm
Old Nov 4, 21, 11:13 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Some more info relating to an anticipated start date contained within this email ...

on the uniform question, it doesn’t say BA uniform. Quite interesting. It may be like IB express where they have different and “better” uniforms.
Old Nov 5, 21, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
‘on the uniform question, it doesn’t say BA uniform. Quite interesting. It may be like IB express where they have different and “better” uniforms.’

It doesn’t actually say anything about uniforms. Personally I don’t expect it to be any different. The branding will be the same.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul View Post
‘on the uniform question, it doesn’t say BA uniform. Quite interesting. It may be like IB express where they have different and “better” uniforms.’

It doesn’t actually say anything about uniforms. Personally I don’t expect it to be any different. The branding will be the same.
If they're recruiting imminently to start in March they must know what routes they plan to operate so hopefully they will go on sale soon.
Old Nov 5, 21, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post
on the uniform question, it doesn’t say BA uniform. Quite interesting. It may be like IB express where they have different and “better” uniforms.
Wasn't there supposed to be a new uniform in 2019? Maybe they are all in a cupboard somewhere and they will just use those.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
If they're recruiting imminently to start in March they must know what routes they plan to operate so hopefully they will go on sale soon.
I'm ready to be on the first LGW-ABZ they fly... (If only it was so - I'll keep dreaming)
paulaf likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 1:19 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Night stops

No plans to bring back the crew night stops in Jersey and Glasgow then.
Old Nov 5, 21, 3:11 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by SxMan View Post
No plans to bring back the crew night stops in Jersey and Glasgow then.
Not with Gatwick based crew. They could still appear on the scheduled but operated as W patterns with LHR crew though
Old Nov 5, 21, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC
So Sean Doyle has said that they aim to have the Gatwick schedule ready by the end of November.
paulaf likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
So Sean Doyle has said that they aim to have the Gatwick schedule ready by the end of November.
Better late than never.
Old Nov 5, 21, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post

"Full service premium airline"
"Competing with carriers like Easyjet and Wizz"

I smell a rat.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 5:12 am

So the low-cost reference in the thread title is in relation to the costs of the business not the customer marketing ‘low-cost’ slogan we are familiar with as Joe and Jen bloggs, hoping for £9.99 fares! The above recruitment letter states…this will be a premium airline…

I’m happy with that but more importantly happy to see BA back at LGW S and that lovely lounge they had only just opened, well that’s what it felt like pre-pandemic. I’m assuming they will be back at South?
Old Nov 5, 21, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
So the low-cost reference in the thread title is in relation to the costs of the business not the customer marketing ‘low-cost’ slogan we are familiar with as Joe and Jen bloggs, hoping for £9.99 fares! The above recruitment letter states…this will be a premium airline…

I’m happy with that but more importantly happy to see BA back at LGW S and that lovely lounge they had only just opened, well that’s what it felt like pre-pandemic. I’m assuming they will be back at South?
It doesn't make much sense to me. If its a premium airline surely it's only competing against BA itself, in which case why not just bring BA shorthaul back to LGW?
Old Nov 5, 21, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
It doesn't make much sense to me. If its a premium airline surely it's only competing against BA itself, in which case why not just bring BA shorthaul back to LGW?
They are competing against Easy, Ryan etc and with Club Europe as the USP to present themselves as premium!
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Nov 5, 21, 5:32 am

The question now is what routes go to Gatwick? Is it the ones that haven’t been moved to LHR for S22, or will some LHR ones go back to LGW? If it is the latter, I’m sure customers are thrilled seeing their flights go from LGW to LHR to LGW.

Search this Thread