Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I believe BA management know that that the Gatwick slots are beneficial to them in the longer term.
Hopefully now the Gatwick short haul operation can turn a profit all year round rather than just in the lucrative summer months.
I am looking forward to hearing what BA has planned.
Wishing all involved well.
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
The reason TPA hasn't been mentioned is that it is a long-haul route. BA will continue to serve a handful of destinations from Gatwick on the 777-200ER, TPA will been of them.
Exactly. My point was that other LGW LH flights had been discussed, but not TPA.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I've been getting interesting pilot feedback via the HfP articles.

Long and short is that the pilots seem to accept that BALPA has caved in but aren't willing to admit it. Absolutely no one likes the new deal. It is, very marginally, better than the original proposal which has given BALPA the excuse they needed for a ballot.

Considering that BALPA said 2 weeks ago that they wouldn't even consider putting new proposals to a vote because members have no faith in BA, it is a huge about turn.

Sean Doyle was apparently involved in the meeting where the new offer was made which was the first time anyone very senior had got involved. This made the BALPA people feel important and they agreed to the offer.

My feeling is that the pilots would be better off rejecting it, let easyJet buy the slots and then get better paying jobs with easyJet. The lure of the BA seniority list looms large though, a bit like a civil servant ploughing on the 20 years in the hope of a CBE. The idea that a newly recruited BA FO on an A320 will be flying an A380 in a few years for six figures seems about as likely as a new recruit at Deloitte becoming partner - certainly possible, but simply not happening for most and in many ways a ruse to encourage you to accept a rough deal early in your career.

Crikey, are you in the aviation business or is this just your opinion? I think a lot of the prp lads and lasses are quite happy to get back into their jobs. But oh wait a minute, they didn’t have the chance to vote 😳
SleeplessIn1A likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I've been getting interesting pilot feedback via the HfP articles.

Long and short is that the pilots seem to accept that BALPA has caved in but aren't willing to admit it. Absolutely no one likes the new deal. It is, very marginally, better than the original proposal which has given BALPA the excuse they needed for a ballot.

Considering that BALPA said 2 weeks ago that they wouldn't even consider putting new proposals to a vote because members have no faith in BA, it is a huge about turn.

Sean Doyle was apparently involved in the meeting where the new offer was made which was the first time anyone very senior had got involved. This made the BALPA people feel important and they agreed to the offer.

My feeling is that the pilots would be better off rejecting it, let easyJet buy the slots and then get better paying jobs with easyJet. The lure of the BA seniority list looms large though, a bit like a civil servant ploughing on the 20 years in the hope of a CBE. The idea that a newly recruited BA FO on an A320 will be flying an A380 in a few years for six figures seems about as likely as a new recruit at Deloitte becoming partner - certainly possible, but simply not happening for most and in many ways a ruse to encourage you to accept a rough deal early in your career.
I must say it does feel like some of your sources and articles about this are heavily weighted toward a negative slant. My friends at BA paint a different picture so perhaps your sources may have a bit of an axe to grind? Not in any way a criticism of you just that sometimes the views we hear are from a self-selected band and if that’s their view then they’re seemingly in a big minority judging by the vote.

Let’s hope the industry is back on its feet soon and this is one step toward normality for us all (I can’t wait for the day of no masks or ridiculously long box ticking announcements)
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by SleeplessIn1A
Let’s hope the industry is back on its feet soon and this is one step toward normality for us all (I can’t wait for the day of no masks or ridiculously long box ticking announcements)
hear hear to that! Even on a Domestic from LHR to MAN I’m forced to be lectured about making sure I’ve filled in my UK PLF 🤷‍♂️ Some common sense now and again might just be in order.
skipness1E, kingstontoon and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:50 am

Wonder when the PLF will go as its a pain. Letter in the Daily mail today about elderly cruise pax being in tears trying to fill it in and then struggling again at check in trying to show it.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must say it does feel like some of your sources and articles about this are heavily weighted toward a negative slant. My friends at BA paint a different picture so perhaps your sources may have a bit of an axe to grind? Not in any way a criticism of you just that sometimes the views we hear are from a self-selected band and if that’s their view then they’re seemingly in a big minority judging by the vote.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, and wishing you some rest!
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and wishing you some rest!

Although sadly I can’t see myself being sleepless in 1A anytime soon as the idea of wearing a mask for 10 hours puts me off as I’m a leisure traveller. Hopefully the end is near !
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:17 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Is there any information about Turin flights moving to Heathrow? From the wiki it looks like they will be/have but I can’t see any for S22 on either Matrix or BA low flight finder.

(asking for a Eurovision enthusiast…)
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PZE
Is there any information about Turin flights moving to Heathrow? From the wiki it looks like they will be/have but I can’t see any for S22 on either Matrix or BA low flight finder.

If it helps I'm still waiting for MLA next summer... got a cancellation that I want to move, but nothing loaded post June yet.
PZE likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PZE

Ditton VRN which seems to end in March - ski season related presumably? Not asking for Eurovision purposes!
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
I had flights to BIO for next week, which got cancelled. I didn’t rebook and kept them open. Now the final rebooking date is approaching and BA have no flights to sale to BIO for S22….frustrating!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I had flights to BIO for next week, which got cancelled. I didn’t rebook and kept them open. Now the final rebooking date is approaching and BA have no flights to sale to BIO for S22….frustrating!
Iberia via MAD is always an option during irregularities.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:13 am

Is there any sign yet of flights at Gatwick being reinstated? Looking at Rhodes for next summer and the timetable is decimated.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:25 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by paulaf
Is there any sign yet of flights at Gatwick being reinstated? Looking at Rhodes for next summer and the timetable is decimated.
No, as agreement still has to be made with all the other involved parties.
paulaf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.