Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 13, 21, 9:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: BAeuro
Wiki Link
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 21, 7:21 pm

Programs: EXP Aadvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’m hoping history does not repeat itself here. ALC was one of the last routes to be officially cancelled for my November trip when most other routes were moved to LHR. I was expecting to see the ALC flights moved to LHR, but when the LGW were officially cancelled, BA ended up canning the ALC route for the entire W21 schedule.

I did fly LHR-ALC in September from a remote stand and 4 other people on the same bus as me all commented that they had been caught up in the W21 ALC cancellations for trips later in the year, so demand for the route is there.
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by neofung View Post
My DBV LGW flight was replaced by DBV LHR and the connection time to my hkg flight with CX is only 1 hour. Is it enough?
It is not enough. You should at least have 90 min.
Old Oct 1, 21, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, Miles+Bonus Blue
I had notification overnight that both flights for a BA Holidays booking from Gatwick to Rhodes have been cancelled (May 2022).

No obvious rebooking options other than “we will be in contact to discuss your options”, and it doesn’t look like any flights are for sale from LGW or LHR to Rhodes in May at the moment.

Will be interesting to see what options they offer (I’m not sure if this will be affected by only having paid a deposit and not the full amount)?
Old Oct 1, 21, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Originally Posted by neofung View Post
My DBV LGW flight was replaced by DBV LHR and the connection time to my hkg flight with CX is only 1 hour. Is it enough?

Out of interest, If the DBV to LGW flight had not been moved to LHR, how were you intending to get to LHR to catch the HKG flight in time?

​​​​​​Or has the DBV flight been moved to a later flight?

Is there an earlier flight you can ask to be moved to so that you can make the connection?

Are the connecting flights at Heathrow even at the same terminal?
Old Oct 1, 21, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
There's a part of me that wonders why, if these flights are seemingly unprofitable as BA claims, that moving them to LHR will resolve the issue. Does switching the airport remove the price sensitivity and people will suddenly be happy paying it even though easyJet are £15 cheaper?
I imagine it’s about spreadsheets and internal metrics. “Gatwick short haul is unprofitable” is like one of those statements many large organisations make after an ‘internal review’ - often with a predetermined outcome.

I expect right now Heathrow Shorthaul if we define it to mean routes with legacy LHR routes / flight numbers is more unprofitable than Gatwick Shorthaul where flights are going out full albeit from Heathrow. Don’t tell me that with the demise of Thomas Cook, flybe, Monarch over the past years that Gatwick to Spain / Portugal and Greece is a dead market. The more I think about it, this is all about the opportunity to make long term structural change, and Covid is a good time to drive it through (and may have acted as a catalyst). I expect BA will want to write off certain accruals and provisions which are allocated to Gatwick and shorthaul Gatwick is the casualty because the view is that, long term, an operation with a cost base even 20% higher than easyjet is unsustainable. Maybe Club Europe has got too cheap when combined with FF benefits. But my overriding sense as armchair CEO is this is about preserving market share at Heathrow. I can’t disagree with that as a strategy because it does make sense to make sure T5 is fully and profitably utilised. If there really is a shift to premium leisure I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new lounge concept come out soon and is it still appropriate for the Exec Club to be the Exec Club? Just as BA had to be Fit for Five, what changes are needed now in order to be Ready for Reopening or primed to Navigate New Normal?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 1, 21, 2:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
A LGW-LHR swap should qualify for a refund if you call.
From HeadForPoints :-

British Airways has started moving Gatwick flights to Heathrow (headforpoints.com)

"Most flights are moving to Heathrow with the same flight number and the same departure and arrival times. You have no grounds for a free cancellation or for compensation for the cost of getting from Gatwick to Heathrow, since the two airports are treated as one for this purpose. That said, if you take British Airways to Money Claim Online you may get a positive decision – there is no point going to CEDR arbitration as BA is, technically, acting correctly."
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
From HeadForPoints :-

British Airways has started moving Gatwick flights to Heathrow (headforpoints.com)

"Most flights are moving to Heathrow with the same flight number and the same departure and arrival times. You have no grounds for a free cancellation or for compensation for the cost of getting from Gatwick to Heathrow, since the two airports are treated as one for this purpose. That said, if you take British Airways to Money Claim Online you may get a positive decision – there is no point going to CEDR arbitration as BA is, technically, acting correctly."
Interesting. I think it depends on whether this is considered a cancellation or not. If it is then Art. 8 applies and you are:

Article 8
Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
be offered the choice between:
(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their
final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their
final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:16 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul View Post
A P Yu
When you say they won't all move to Heathrow do you mean they will just be dropped?
Yes id expect some to be dropped, those whose performance was really shocking and some LGW routes will be picked up by Vueling.

A P Yu
Most of the short haul Gatwick services were successful point to point in their own right and had very little connecting traffic.
The recent BA activities re Gatwick started with the airline speaking of their relative success, and lead to the whole process kicking off

A P Yu
I also find it discouraging that BA seems to lack ambition when it comes to expansion or even maintaining market share.
Over the years we have seen it withdraw from the regions and now short haul from the second largest UK airport. Fleet numbers have remained
more or less static over the years too.
I think strategic decisions like this are no longer controlled by BA. Expansion will be an IAG activity, and they'll expand the airlines they feel they need to focus on. That's clearly other airlines in the Group at the moment. I see Vueling have just launched 7 UK to Pars routes.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have had several flights moved from LGW to LHR and each time the 'Important information about your booking" email has stated "We're very sorry to let you know that the following flights on your booking have been cancelled". Even when the new Heathrow flight has the same times and flight number.

The e-mail also goes on to say "If you accept to travel from a different departure point or to a different destination than your original booking, we will not cover you for any expenses for travel between the two points, including car rental and parking". So this seems to be at odds with 8.3 above.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vasto1M View Post
The e-mail also goes on to say "If you accept to travel from a different departure point or to a different destination than your original booking, we will not cover you for any expenses for travel between the two points, including car rental and parking". So this seems to be at odds with 8.3 above.
BA can say what they want, doesn't get them out of their legal obligations
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:40 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
BA can say what they want, doesn't get them out of their legal obligations
Over the last couple of years I've managed to successfully reclaim costs for travelling from LHR instead of LCY after travel, when the LCY flights were cancelled and I was rebooked to LHR
KARFA and jonr405 like this.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
This has no connection at all to BA at LGW.
The majority of which have been focussed on UK via an IAG carrier ?
A P Yu likes this.
Old Oct 1, 21, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC
I hope this doesn't become a stretched out change; come on BA just put the rest on sale from LHR.
paulaf likes this.
Old Oct 1, 21, 8:07 am

My Malaga flights weren't moved, just outright cancellations and as the times don't suit I will move my dates by a day, so yes some being dropped.
BTW how long do I have before i have to change these flights? Thanks

Last edited by paulaf; Oct 1, 21 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 1, 21, 9:04 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by jonr405 View Post
Try to call. I've had success getting things sorted by the phone agent that MMB wouldn't allow (switching dates and to LCY).
Thanks a lot for this! Flights originally booked for March/April promptly (well, after 45 minutes waiting on the phone) rebooked from SOU for a prime August week.
jonr405 likes this.

Search this Thread