Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by paulaf
Hope mine on 9th is a straight swop to LHR at same time.
do a dummy booking....
paulaf likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Had 4 x JER Flights, 2 x CTA Flights and 3 x AGP flights all connecting via LGW moved to via LHR. All flights are for May 2022.

Looks like LGW is getting wound up.
There's a part of me that wonders why, if these flights are seemingly unprofitable as BA claims, that moving them to LHR will resolve the issue. Does switching the airport remove the price sensitivity and people will suddenly be happy paying it even though easyJet are £15 cheaper?
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jonr405
​​​​​​
My May flight from AGP to LGW was just moved to LHR. BA changed the airport and time without changing the flight number. The only reason I was alerted was that I had exit rows booked and they were changed. I wonder if they will try to argue that I can't get a refund/move my flight since the original booking doesn't show as cancelled?
Just had the same happen to happen to AMS June outbound flight with a seat change notification only so far - return not changed so far, but just a matter of time I'm sure. Spanish LGW Summer22 flights still untouched at the moment
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
do a dummy booking....
checked and not there yet.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hopefully, Paphos and the Canary Islands will follow shortly. Feeling sad about all this. Irrational I know, but BA short haul Gatwick has been for many years part of many happy holidays.
Long haul is looking like about about 6 or 7 based 777s this winter and up to 11 next Summer.
Hopefully they have not made, in my opinion, the same error as they did in 2008 when their reluctance to buy GB Airways allowed
EasyJet in to run wild!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:51 am

I have used Heathrow over the years too, but, for me anyway, it never seemed as friendly as Gatwick. I always found the BA Gatwick staff landside and airside great too. I will miss it.
I appreciate BA Executive Club Flyertalk is Heathrow centric, and Gatwick has always been looked down on by some, but I am sure many will have some empathy for those who are feeling
disappointed and unsettled by the recent turn of events.
Best wishes.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
There's a part of me that wonders why, if these flights are seemingly unprofitable as BA claims, that moving them to LHR will resolve the issue. Does switching the airport remove the price sensitivity and people will suddenly be happy paying it even though easyJet are £15 cheaper?
Absolutely. Obviously running all these loss making flights from the higher operating cost at LHR will help make them profitable too.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
Not anymore in club Galleries. Only sparkling wine. I asked on Tuesday whether it was just a shortage the answer was no it was the future.
Ouch. Surprised I've not seen more about that here!

Maybe anyone that cares that much is gold anyway?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:04 am

In time the price differential will become greater as Heathrow is amore expensive airport from which to operate.

This morning I did a dummy booking on EasyJet to Paphos next June. I included all the extras such as speedy boarding, food vouchers, assigned
extra leg room seat and luggage. Total cost £363 return which compares very favourably with CE. Even if I added the cost of a lounge experience at Gatwick and
Premium Security I would probably still be paying less. Plus flights are twice daily and the morning flight is great for an early afternoon arrival into Paphos.
For others happy to have the basic service a return fare of £230 would be appealing too.
A P Yu likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
1) They wont all move to LHR (some will be profitale)
2) Running one base is always cheaper
3) Running them from LHR will enhance the possibility of additional connecting traffic which can again add to their commercial appeal
revorgap likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Still nothing for a lot of the big sunshine destinations Malta, Paphos, Alicante, Lanzarote etc
LPQ, paulaf and vectismanpaul like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:22 am

A P Yu
When you say they won't all move to Heathrow do you mean they will just be dropped?
Heathrow will become a more expensive airport over time as it waits longer and longer for that elusive 3rd runway.
Most of the short haul Gatwick services were successful point to point in their own right and had very little connecting traffic.
I believe a substantial number of those passengers will continue to use Gatwick and other carriers.

I also find it discouraging that BA seems to lack ambition when it comes to expansion or even maintaining market share.
Over the years we have seen it withdraw from the regions and now short haul from the second largest UK airport. Fleet numbers have remained
more or less static over the years too.

It seems strange to me that EasyJet and Ryanair can fly some 300 UK based aircraft from airports UK wide successfully. Yes I know their cost base
may be lower but its still pretty impressive and costs alone can't explain everything. Maybe the strategic approach of BA needs also to examined.
bafan, skipness1E and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Still nothing for a lot of the big sunshine destinations Malta, Paphos, Alicante, Lanzarote etc
Hopefully they will move in the next few days. I just don't see these routes disappearing altogether. Revenue lost would be huge.
CE for some of those destinations are always large cabins.
I did a quick check on the BA online timetables and they are still showing as departing from Gatwick but not bookable. So they must be moving soon.
paulaf likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
A P Yu
When you say they won't all move to Heathrow do you mean they will just be dropped?
Heathrow will become a more expensive airport over time as it waits longer and longer for that elusive 3rd runway.
Most of the short haul Gatwick services were successful point to point in their own right and had very little connecting traffic.
I believe a substantial number of those passengers will continue to use Gatwick and other carriers.

I also find it discouraging that BA seems to lack ambition when it comes to expansion or even maintaining market share.
Over the years we have seen it withdraw from the regions and now short haul from the second largest UK airport. Fleet numbers have remained
more or less static over the years too.

It seems strange to me that EasyJet and Ryanair can fly some 300 UK based aircraft from airports UK wide successfully. Yes I know their cost base
may be lower but its still pretty impressive and costs alone can't explain everything. Maybe the strategic approach of BA needs also to examined.
Agreed.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:58 am

My final comments on this thread looking to the future for London Gatwick.
To be honest at least Gatwick Airport can move on now with airlines who are likely to stick around. They will have takers for the slots which will help them rebuild.
Jet Blue and Norse International are possible newcomers. Perhaps Jet2 would consider opening base of 5 or so aircraft. Other short/medium haul carriers will be
lining up, once the price increases at Heathrow kick in. Some long haul carriers will also find it tough at LHR.
Likewise, I can see BA increasing long haul presence with those marginal more point to point routes that will become less profitable at Heathrow as time goes on. Plus of
course seasonal extras that will become difficult to schedule at LHR as it becomes slot constrained once again in a couple of years.
Hopefully Emirates will be up to 3 a day within a year or so. Plus the return of Cathay and others. You never know Virgin and Delta may also turn up if Norse and Jet Blue
really take market share.
I am trying to be positive. Only hope BA have not made the same mistake as they did in 2008.
Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.