Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
I can’t imagine there are going to be too many bells and whistles.
Unless of course the new subsidiary hands out bells and whistles in place of food and beverages

This sounds like a delay tactic more than anything else. They obviously can not make LGW work now and there are other carriers that could benefit the airport more--by actually flying passengers into and out of the airport. LGW already lost 245 million pounds in the first half of the year and is dire shape financially. BA delaying and then not using the slots just puts the airport into an even more dire financial situation. If LGW had their way, it would be in their interest to see a hasty exit of BA and reallocate the slots to other airlines that would actually use them.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
sfozrhfco. I am not sure I agree with your reasoning. I believe the management at Gatwick are keen for BA to stay both in the long haul and short haul markets. BA bring some diversity to the airport.
I do not believe it is a delaying tactic.

If BA really saw no viable future in a short haul operation at Gatwick I believe they would simply leave. I realised they had probably decided to stay when Sean Doyle said at the last results
Q&A ,that they were in talks with Gatwick stakeholders and were keen to stay competitive. In other words they were not going to leave the Gatwick market to easyJet et al.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 25, 2021 at 3:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I may be misquoting, but wasn’t the LGW station manager saying (pre-Covid) it was very profitable? Leased Airbus, as dense as you can go, premium fares with brand/CE, cheaper crew (:/) etc.

With leisure routes recovering sooner, is the competitive thing to double down with this fleet and model?

Anything that isn’t differentiated from the plethora of no frills airlines at Gatwick feels like a recipe for disaster. Would be sad to see BA service withdrawn from favourite holiday spots too.
vectismanpaul likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
That's a shame, so BA will no longer offer any short hauls to Europe?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I am thinking aloud here, but could it be argued that, in difficult times, having so many Heathrow slots can be a curse as well as a blessing. BA are having to operate flights at lower fares from LHR which is an expensive airport to operate from.
Selling flights at Gatwick fare levels then moving them to Heathrow (like has taken place over the summer and now for the winter) surely cannot always be cash positive.
Obviously they are keen to protect LHR slots, but if these were not so valuable maybe BA could have continued to operate from LGW offering competitive fares and also benefit from the use of the lower cost airport. Their own staffing costs are also lower at LGW already.
My reasoning may be completely wrong of course. I also apologise for going off topic a little.

GodAtum. Hopefully they will be offering short hauls to Europe. The intention is for short haul to continue, albeit in a different form perhaps.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 25, 2021 at 3:14 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:16 am

How much more LCC can BA go on short haul from the passenger perspective?

This must be about sticking it to BA's staff again.
copperfield27 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It will be branded as British Airways.
Remember GB Airways?
1Aturnleft and SxMan like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by rhysflies
Why though? Vueling isn't a strong brand in the UK and they have used LEVEL to put pressure on Air France, Lufthansa etc - not to put downward pressure on IAG hubs.

My gut feeling is that it will be based on BA brand, like city flyer. But not clear how that works legally - presumably the unions have some kind of agreement that CF can't operate A320family or larger to stop them competing with main crew?

We have the letter and have quoted it in our article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...ill-take-over/
They can put whatever brand they like on the outside Rhys and your average Joe will just take it at face value. It does make sense to keep that as BA wherever possible. It works, has a good reputation and commands a certain price premium above an unknown or inferior brand.
​​​​
I was referring to what the legalities may look like.
A wholly owned subsidiary like Vueling UK or Level UK who would recruit and employ staff on inferior terms and at a fraction of the cost to those with a BA contract in order to rival the likes of EasyJet and Wizz. That's what this is ultimately about. BA has been wanting to do this for years but the Unions would have had a field day with strikes left right and centre. Covid has finally allowed this mission to be accomplished.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Aug 26, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Biscuittin
How much more LCC can BA go on short haul from the passenger perspective?

This must be about sticking it to BA's staff again.
Exactly. There is no scenario in which they can profitably operate all of their slots at LHR and LGW. LGW is subsidizing BA's slot squatting which serves nobody except BA. Another subsidiary is not going to help. They need to decide to either give up slots at LHR or LGW and deal with the consequences. In the meantime, they will keep delaying the decision long enough so that if the UK travel situation improves at some point in the distant future, they will have salvaged enough valuable slots to keep competitors at bay.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:26 pm

Gatwick flights

So my opinion…… which is not fact.

whatever the name of the subsidiary it is likely to look and feel exactly like BA mainline at Heathrow. The reason it’s not Vueling or Level is that those Brands would likely of died on their feet when faced with EasyJet.

I think you can expect a Club cabin and lounge access, as those are the things that differentiate the brand. Aircraft wise I would initially expect them to use A320s or A321s (There are 18 321s parked in Madrid) although 321s might be too large for some if the Markets. These aircraft could at some point be replaced with Maxes or NEOs. If I was a betting man I’d suggest NEOs (due to the pandemic there are some political issues around IAG snubbing airbus).

The whole idea behind the subsidiary is to reduce the cost base to remain competitive. I don’t see this being a red, white and blue Wizz air.

Let’s see how this post ages!!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
A link to the go fly ad in case anyone wanted a trip down memory lane : Coming to an airport near Crawley soon :

Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Raffles
It will need Club Europe, lounge access for elites, Avios, tier points, free snack etc if so, which seems to defeat the object - or the main brand gets trashed by association.
Not necessarily. Iberia Express (I2), Iberia‘s low cost subsidiary, runs alongside Iberia’s mainline operation and delivers an equivalent level of service with the full set of frequent flyer benefits. Most customers would be hard pressed to notice the difference.
seat 13a, EDIwanderer and Ramos like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:46 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
Remember GB Airways?
GB airways was a bit different - it wasn’t owned by BA. It was an independent airline (owned by the family behind Blands Travel in Gibraltar) which just had a franchise agreement with BA. Ultimately they terminated the franchise agreement and sold the aircraft and slots to Easyjet.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by englisha
A link to the go fly ad in case anyone wanted a trip down memory lane : Coming to an airport near Crawley soon :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xPfW-zLDM
good memories thanks for the video
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Virgin Silver
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Sounds like an extension of the Cityflyer @ LCY concept
except the city service is better than LHR
bafan likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 27, 2021 at 3:22 am Reason: Repair quotation frame

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.