Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team GB back from Tokyo 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hezu
I don't know about exact seating arrangements, but I think the seating would be quite sparse, especially since the organizers required that those athletes that had finished their games should return within 48h after the competition ended.
Indeed... which should prompt BA to dish out complimentary upgrades quite generously, hence wondering what their rule of thumb, if any, was.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
good on them for getting something out of it!

the new york times had an article about how A United States medalist receives $37,500 for gold, $22,500 for silver and $15,000 for bronze.

UK winners receive nothing. well except a nice plane seat home perhaps! and yes they were required to depart no later than 2 days after their competitions were complete bc covid.
Someone should perk up and perhaps consider Singapore nationality... you get S$1million (about US$740,000) for Olympics gold!!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Tom could always have borrowed a couple of arrows for doing his knitting!
Divers were told to book club (to be well rested for their competition) and since they knew when they were competing, booking a return trip wasn't a problem. Nice one for Tom to get an op up to First, his gold medal partner flew back in Club judging by their Instagram stories.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richiejv
Not sure on the exact arrangements, but someone on Twitter commented that they were very upset/offended because the medal winners turned left while the others turned right.
Interesting. Wonder what happens when a non medal winner decides to use their Avios or GUF to upgrade - "Hmm... you didn't win a medal hence don't belong here?" LOL
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Interesting. Wonder what happens when a non medal winner decides to use their Avios or GUF to upgrade - "Hmm... you didn't win a medal hence don't belong here?" LOL
Now wondering how many Avios one earns per long jump... 🤔
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:22 am

They must have had a generous luggage allowance regardless of class.One of our friends is a coach and the amount of branded kit delivered to their house before they left was unbelievable.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
They must have had a generous luggage allowance regardless of class.One of our friends is a coach and the amount of branded kit delivered to their house before they left was unbelievable.
There was certainly quite a flaw to that

Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I see BA are giving medal winners matching Executive Club status

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...ils/86/0/13319

Surely there are easier way of getting Bronze status that training for years to become the 3rd best in the world?

Also, I've always wondered in sports people who win medals and trophies abroad need to declare them to Customs on their return.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Camflyer
I see BA are giving medal winners matching Executive Club status

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...ils/86/0/13319

Surely there are easier way of getting Bronze status that training for years to become the 3rd best in the world?

Also, I've always wondered in sports people who win medals and trophies abroad need to declare them to Customs on their return.
That’s… pathetic. Would it have made a significant dent to BA’s coffers to have 65 more medal winners given BAEC Gold, even GGL for the matter?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Richard Kaitlyn was on a connecting flight to NCL , not sure which cabin he was in but posed with passengers and staff in ET and passed his Silver medal round the ET cabin for passengers to hold.
roberino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.