Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77H new F - some observations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Will100
Cant understand this obsession with CS being better than F.

Bigger seat, better food, better stuff ratio, etc. F is miles better.
People were talking about the hard product, but in any case its a perception thing (why does club have a door yet first doesn't!?) vs reality....
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
CW is good for the privacy, space bed and a decent sleep. In other words, the hard product.

F is a fab lounge (assuming CCR open), wine you want to drink and (mostly) food you enjoy eating on proper plates with lovely glasses. And even more space, all at what can be a modest price increase of £200-300, or 18-25k Avios. In other words, mostly the soft product.

The service we had to BGI was exceptional in both.

It’s a perfect split to me, genuinely.
djsflynn and Will100 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:31 am

The window blind installs start this month. The temporary fillings/spacers will be removed to make the room required. Wi-Fi too.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
A bit OT but back in the day had many flights on 744 in the upper deck rows 62/64. Once we were op upgraded to F, in row 3 or 4, and my wife was indignant at the downgrade .

Rows 1 or 2 were a different story.
NoY, SFO777 and SxMan like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
A bit OT but back in the day had many flights on 744 in the upper deck rows 62/64. Once we were op upgraded to F, in row 3 or 4, and my wife was indignant at the downgrade .

Rows 1 or 2 were a different story.
Genius1 and TangoOneSeven like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:08 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I started a thread a few years ago to ask the question - the middle seats in the 747 F had almost no surfaces to put stuff on & offered minimal privacy. It's not necessarily obvious they were "better" than the best CW seats in the upper deck

Op"Up": 62K to 5E on a 747
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by alexwuk; Aug 13, 2021 at 4:28 am
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I started a thread a few years ago to ask the question - the middle seats in the 747 F had almost no surfaces to put stuff on & offered minimal privacy. It's not necessarily obvious they were "better" than the best CW seats in the upper deck

Op"Up": 62K to 5E on a 747
You are lucky to have got any seats in "the 747 F" .... :-p
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...G?format=1500w

Can't comment on the middle seats at the pointy end of the 747, although it always struck me the front middle were very exposed while the rear middle were right by the Galley. Was storage that different to the other seats in the cabin. The seat cupboards were the same, plus overhead lockers (which row 1 didn't get).
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by CT-UK
No Way is the lack of door making BA F inferior to to CS. I have done do CS 5 times and F god knows how many and while CS is better than CW it is still inferior IMHO.
You only need to look at a seat map to see the difference. If you don't rate 33% more space as being a massive upgrade, then its hard to say CS is much of an upgrade over much of CW!

Genius1 and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
You only need to look at a seat map to see the difference. If you don't rate 33% more space as being a massive upgrade, then its hard to say CS is much of an upgrade over much of CW!

Yes on the 777 there's no question F>CS - the debate was an academic one about the 747.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I love they have put a durable edge on the side by the window.
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist

I was curious if they've done this on the 78X as well as these are relatively new.

The 789 I recently flew on was only 5 years old and looked like this:

789 Durability
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Yes on the 777 there's no question F>CS - the debate was an academic one about the 747.
CS was never on the 747, so I think you’re referring to a different debate!

On that front though, if travelling on an East coast-LHR TATL 62/4 a/k was probably preferable, otherwise F, even on the middle front row, for me just for the service and bigger seat would always be the choice. I’m not a privacy hound though.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:42 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
BA really needs to sort its strategy out. If they position themselves correctly they could take advantage. The luxury travel market does exist at F level. You only have to look at the shortage of Rolex watch to see this in play.
I thought we had a consensus on this forum. BA has strategy - F is CW Plus. You want pure luxury - fly with AF. You want competitive F fare, better seat and slightly elevated food, drinks, service - choose BA. I suspect this strategy might work nicely for them...
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by TPJ
I thought we had a consensus on this forum. BA has strategy - F is CW Plus. You want pure luxury - fly with AF. You want competitive F fare, better seat and slightly elevated food, drinks, service - choose BA. I suspect this strategy might work nicely for them...
Agreed, £2-3k or £5-6k.

Or why not pay £30k and go private.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
I’ve not seen any reviews of the updated F seat on the new 777-300s (G-STBM/N/O/P)....
I wrote a detailed review of this product back in December 2020 after experiencing it on a flight to MLE.

REVIEW – British Airways : First Class Suites – B777

I largely concur with a lot of what you've written.
It is an incremental improvement on the 789 product but an improvement nonetheless.

The 789 F seat is oft maligned and described by people as "business class" (something which I personally do not agree with).
There isn't exactly a lot of competition for First Class on dreamliners though. The fuselage is narrow and EY's 789 F product is a similar size (and also rather angled).

The added space on the new 777 suites is very noticeable and personally I feel that this is more noticeable than the addition of doors.
I struggle to see the point of doors on airplane suites, unless they are high enough to block the gaze of people walking in the aisle.

Much like with club suites, it feels like somebody was given the design brief to add doors, without addressing the reason why passengers want them in the first place....

However, there is no doubting that BA now has a very competitive hard product on the 77W.
Even the most rabid of BA haters would struggle to make a case for JL's product being superior for example (and let's not even talk about what AA has on offer...)

Prospero, VSLover, Genius1 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jermyn
I wrote a detailed review of this product back in December 2020 after experiencing it on a flight to MLE.

REVIEW – British Airways : First Class Suites – B777

I largely concur with a lot of what you've written.
It is an incremental improvement on the 789 product but an improvement nonetheless.

The 789 F seat is oft maligned and described by people as "business class" (something which I personally do not agree with).
There isn't exactly a lot of competition for First Class on dreamliners though. The fuselage is narrow and EY's 789 F product is a similar size (and also rather angled).

The added space on the new 777 suites is very noticeable and personally I feel that this is more noticeable than the addition of doors.
I struggle to see the point of doors on airplane suites, unless they are high enough to block the gaze of people walking in the aisle.

Much like with club suites, it feels like somebody was given the design brief to add doors, without addressing the reason why passengers want them in the first place....

However, there is no doubting that BA now has a very competitive hard product on the 77W.
Even the most rabid of BA haters would struggle to make a case for JL's product being superior for example (and let's not even talk about what AA has on offer...)
great review--i have been searching for pics for a while to see what i can expect when i finally do my first longhaul in ages, and your report is full of them! thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.