Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77H new F - some observations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
…and this trip being on Avios provides a good example.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
…and this trip being on Avios provides a good example.
I have BGI in F on a 241 at the end of May next year. Currently showing as a 772 but would be fun to try out the new seat. I'm also hoping that more of the pre-covid service will have resumed by then. Not holding out much hope for BNA in CW in October though!

Did you use the IAM Jet Center? Sounds fun to give it a go.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Did you use the IAM Jet Center? Sounds fun to give it a go.
Yes, we did. It was very cool… If you’ve been through Premiair at Manchester it’s the same sort of setup, just much smaller, more colonial in style. The views from the windows are good, but not for photos as there are quite dark sunshine shade sheets stuck to them.

The staff were all absolutely lovely - a lady popped in every so often to check if we needed anything.

There were 4 passengers in first; the 3 of us and one other chap. We were the only people in the lounge, which probably held 8-10 people maximum. The security check is one arch and a chap with a little X-ray machine.

The food was basic but ok; a choice of a few different sandwiches and some crisps. The wine was good - a Pouilly Fumé and a choice of two decent reds. There were also 4 little bottles of Laurent Perrier champagne in a minibar fridge, along with soft drinks. We drank those and the replacements were warm-ish - so ask for them nice and early!

The only awkward bit was transfer across the tarmac in a private minibus to the aircraft, being the only people up the front steps and all in full view of all the other passengers being held back near the terminal on the tarmac in the (sweaty) sunshine.

I think I’m right that this setup with a teeny private terminal and private aircraft transfer included in the ticket price is totally unique on the BA network, and maybe even across all airlines? This is 100% something to do now, before it goes the same way as the flower in the F toilet. We loved it and it made the whole trip so special and memorable.

VSLover and PGberkshire like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I think I’m right that this setup with a teeny private terminal and private aircraft transfer included in the ticket price is totally unique on the BA network, and maybe even across all airlines? This is 100% something to do now, before it goes the same way as the flower in the F toilet. We loved it and it made the whole trip so special and memorable.
Depends on whether you count the LH F terminal as a teeny private terminal or not!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Buddy seat is definitely more spacious in the old middle seats vs window on the 777s isn't it.
Yup for tall folks the 777 middle seats were actually the best for a night time flight. Way more leg room.

The new First seats are all the same length. Window, center or bulkhead.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not into the 'what's the best F product' game as I find it all a tad silly to be honest. My F experiences have been few over several airlines. However, all I can say is none have been the life changing experiences some reviewers have made them out to be.
Tobias-UK and DeathSlam like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm not into the 'what's the best F product' game as I find it all a tad silly to be honest. My F experiences have been few over several airlines. However, all I can say is none have been the life changing experiences some reviewers have made them out to be.
I'm guessing that you haven't flown Air France F in a long time, if ever.
SW7London likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm guessing that you haven't flown Air France F in a long time, if ever.
Please don’t encourage him. He is going to post for 10000th time some archaic photos from LH old First. Probably around 10 years ago and tell us how unimpressed he was!
SW7London likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Honestly, I never read a single review saying how impressed they were with BA F product. In most cases a very good C product compare to other airlines. LH and AF on the other hand....
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
Honestly, I never read a single review saying how impressed they were with BA F product. In most cases a very good C product compare to other airlines. LH and AF on the other hand....
It all boils down, as c-w-s said, to ROIC. If BA/IAG believed that it could extract a sufficiently high ROIC from First then they'll invest the necessary capital. I since long harboured the dream of turning the SAA building into an LH First class-like terminal. But it's clear to me that either people accept to pay a much higher price for the pleasure (and less chances of going in with upgrades, miles and so on) or IAG - and, crucially, its investors - accept a lower rate of return. But I can't see the City giving up a couple of % points on that.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Depends on whether you count the LH F terminal as a teeny private terminal or not!
Exactly - that’s why I added “teeny” after I wrote it 😂
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by 13901
It all boils down, as c-w-s said, to ROIC. If BA/IAG believed that it could extract a sufficiently high ROIC from First then they'll invest the necessary capital. I since long harboured the dream of turning the SAA building into an LH First class-like terminal. But it's clear to me that either people accept to pay a much higher price for the pleasure (and less chances of going in with upgrades, miles and so on) or IAG - and, crucially, its investors - accept a lower rate of return. But I can't see the City giving up a couple of % points on that.
How do LH and AF make it work? Is their pax profile very different do you think, or is it about how the airlines are funded?

Creating an expensive and exclusive F product would definitely exclude me - I'm hardly their target audience. Other than one sale booking many moons ago I've only ever flown F on a 241 or as a UUA from a cheap Club fare. Given that all my long haul personal travel for the past 12 years has been to the US, I also haven't had the chance to try any of the 'stellar' F carriers. Again, I'd only be able to do that on Avios, and while I did plan a convoluted MPR to Hawaii on AA, CX and JL, it didn't really work on a number of fronts in the end. So BA F feels like a nice treat to me and given that this BGI trip will be without the kids, I'm very much looking forward to enjoying those flights.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:48 am

Yes, we did. It was very cool… If you’ve been through Premiair at Manchester it’s the same sort of setup, just much smaller, more colonial in style. The views from the windows are good, but not for photos as there are quite dark sunshine shade sheets stuck to them.

The staff were all absolutely lovely - a lady popped in every so often to check if we needed anything.

There were 4 passengers in first; the 3 of us and one other chap. We were the only people in the lounge, which probably held 8-10 people maximum. The security check is one arch and a chap with a little X-ray machine.

The food was basic but ok; a choice of a few different sandwiches and some crisps. The wine was good - a Pouilly Fumé and a choice of two decent reds. There were also 4 little bottles of Laurent Perrier champagne in a minibar fridge, along with soft drinks. We drank those and the replacements were warm-ish - so ask for them nice and early!

The only awkward bit was transfer across the tarmac in a private minibus to the aircraft, being the only people up the front steps and all in full view of all the other passengers being held back near the terminal on the tarmac in the (sweaty) sunshine.

Thanks for the review - definitely worth giving a go. Like you say, time to do it while it's still there. When else am I going to use a private terminal? We'll make sure they get chilling additional fizz as soon as we arrive!
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

JOG has a similar set-up.

Doc Copper
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by 13901
It all boils down, as c-w-s said, to ROIC. If BA/IAG believed that it could extract a sufficiently high ROIC from First then they'll invest the necessary capital.
Good point, BA would be pushing First very hard if it generated a good return.

However I still cant work out why BA cant generate a good return? (even with the helpful comments from CWS up thread!)

If any airline could make money out of First it should be BA given some of key markets. LHR-JFK, LAX, SIN, HKG, NRT - in normal times the most premium heavy routes in the world from both corporates and non corporates. Perhaps include JNB and ORD. Yes, there is some quality competition on these routes - more so the far east ones - , however given the customer base in London with global needs from LHR this should assist BA with market share.

Prehaps historically they've had too many F seats going to many locations which has diluted the profits, and curtailing F to only those ultra heavy premium routes is the way forward, pandemic not withstanding.
VSLover and gustavmahler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.