Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amending Avis (car hire only) booking made through BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all,

I've got an upcoming (September) car hire only booking with Avis in Florida which was booked and pre-paid on the BA website. We had a separate flight booking which was cancelled. Does anyone know what the amendment policy is in these cases? I've moved the flights to next year and am hoping to do the same with the car hire but don't know if there are any additional charges or if we have to pay more as it is much more expensive now. I've contacted Avis and they've said to get in touch with BA, and BA Holidays aren't answering the phone, and I've looked online and unless I'm missing something I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On BA.com, the following is noted in the T&Cs Amendments or Cancellations | British Airways

Amendments by you

The terms below cover:
  1. Hotel, car and transfer bookings
  2. Hotels, cars and transfers added to a package
  3. Hotels, cars and transfers added to a flight where you see a separate price for each element
If your booking includes a non-changeable/non-refundable hotel no amendments are allowed.
Amendment options More than 72 hours before travel: £100 single fee
Less than 72 hours before travel: £200 single fee
Cancellations by you

The terms below cover:
  1. Hotel, car and transfer bookings
  2. Hotels, cars and transfers added to a package
  3. Hotels, cars and transfers added to a flight where you see a separate price for each element
You may be eligible to cancel your booking in exchange for voucher credit (see options below). If your booking includes a non-changeable/non-refundable hotel, the price for this will be deducted from the voucher credit. The voucher credit is valid for travel before 30 September 2023. How to claim your voucher credit.
Travel dates Cancellation options Travel completed by 31 August 2022 More than 3 weeks before travel: Loss of 20% or claim voucher credit for amount paid
More than 72 hours before travel: Loss of 20%
Less than 72 hours before travel: No refund due

Non-changeable/non-refundable hotels:
No refund due Any travel after 31 August 2022 More than 72 hours before travel: Loss of 20%
Less than 72 hours before travel: No refund due

Non-changeable/non-refundable hotels:
No refund dueCancellation charges apply to the hotel, car or transfer value.

Extra flexibility around notice periods for voucher credit is available in the following scenario: For British Airways Holidays bookings that originate in the UK, in the event that the UK government introduces a new rule, after you have booked, which requires quarantine when returning from your booked destination, you can give notice within seven days of the government announcement, regardless of travel date. If your outward flight is departing within seven days of the announcement, you can give notice up until your flight check-in closes. The booking and travel periods above are still applicable, except this supersedes the voucher notice periods stated.
Early last year I had to shift things due to a bereavement, BA were excellent with the flights and amended zero cost or issue. The car hire offered no flexibility and I had to cancel with a penalty and rebook.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
On BA.com, the following is noted in the T&Cs Amendments or Cancellations | British Airways

Early last year I had to shift things due to a bereavement, BA were excellent with the flights and amended zero cost or issue. The car hire offered no flexibility and I had to cancel with a penalty and rebook.

Thank you, and sorry to hear about the bereavement. Appreciate your help with this - does the amendment also require the additional cost to be paid? It's about £1000 more than it was when we booked so obviously we'd like to avoid this if possible!

EDIT: you can ignore this now, looks like we do need to pay the additional cost. Never mind.

Last edited by richiejv; Aug 9, 2021 at 5:03 am
Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
The stand alone BA Avis terms do seem to vary depending on when it was booked (over the last 15 months or so).
When I called up for a BA Avis booking, back in April, the cancellation terms were different to what the website was stating at the time. From memory, I am able to cancel the separately arranged BA Avis car hire for a £40 fee (which allowed me to go ahead with the booking at the time).
The ability to change the dates is technically there but looks punitive, in that it'd revert to some local rate or current rate at time of change.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richiejv
Thank you, and sorry to hear about the bereavement. Appreciate your help with this - does the amendment also require the additional cost to be paid? It's about £1000 more than it was when we booked so obviously we'd like to avoid this if possible!

EDIT: you can ignore this now, looks like we do need to pay the additional cost. Never mind.
For next year, I'd do nothing for months but monitor. There's a known worldwide shortage of inventory on hire cars, which could sort itself out in the coming months and bring prices right down again
richiejv likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I was in the same boat last year (2020), was offered to rebook for this summer (2021), or refund minus 20%. I took the hit and opted for the refund, good call as this year's Florida trip was cancelled too. I've booked flights via an Avios redemption and 2 4 1s for next summer in Florida for a third attempt, and have priced car hire which is now up to three times what I would usually pay! I'm very much hoping things do calm down nearer the time, and as mikeyfly says, will just monitor prices in the meantime. If we're still not allowed to travel to the USA next year, I can always cancel my flights and refund.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:00 am

Whilst I partially agree with above I would make a reservation with a rental company for the cheapest acceptable car for my trip. You can continue to monitor for a better car/price combo, but at least you have something acceptable locked in.
If you don’t see anything acceptable then the wisdom of booking flights to a ‘driving’ destination maybe needs a rethink. Personally my acceptable car has gone down considerably, whilst my acceptable price has gone up considerably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.