Search

Heathrow RAeS talk on BA38 crash

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Heathrow RAeS talk on BA38 crash

Hi all,

Mods, feel free to delete, but I thought the following might be of interest.

I'm giving a (virtual) talk to the Heathrow branch of the RAeS on 23 September on the BA38 crash at LHR (17 Jan 2008), what happened, ATC's reaction, how we coped etc.

I don't think they've put out any info yet about the talk, but I'll add a link in here when they do.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:05 am

Do you know what time the talk will be and if there will be a reply available? Unfortunately since the introduction to virtual sessions the RAeS tend to send out invites until a week before and are during the middle of the working day.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:08 am
Original Poster

I'm assuming it will be 7pm, maybe 7.30, and no unfortunately there will be no replay available.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also for those interested there is a very good interview with Heathrow Tower on the subject in the podcast linked to in this thread.

BA38 Podcast
wrp96 and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:21 am

Can you add a sign up link when it appears?
Would be very interested to watch.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Will add a link, yes.

And given it won't be published, I can add a few extra tidbits that will be new for those who may have heard the story before.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I'm assuming it will be 7pm, maybe 7.30, and no unfortunately there will be no replay available.
Oh that's a real shame for those of us in Asia - I would have loved to be able to listen in, but might be a little late on a "school night"
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I’m sure we can sort something out for those who want to watch but are not able to.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
The Clacton sector at Swanwick which feeds traffic into Lambourne quickly became very interesting with multiple early afternoon heavies from the Far East. In fact it was the only time in 35 years controlling that I had to order an aircraft to divert mainly because of the lack of non standard English needed to explain the situation-it was the JAL that went to Stansted.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steve170461
The Clacton sector at Swanwick which feeds traffic into Lambourne quickly became very interesting with multiple early afternoon heavies from the Far East. In fact it was the only time in 35 years controlling that I had to order an aircraft to divert mainly because of the lack of non standard English needed to explain the situation-it was the JAL that went to Stansted.
You’ll know my brother then, I think he was doing CLN (or maybe North Sea) that day, though he might have been on the morning shift.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I am sure it will be an excellent talk and look forward to it. I remember my first visit to the RAeS when my Father took me to see John Young talk about the first Space Shuttle disaster. Sitting in front of us at the event was Christopher Orlebar and, as it happened, my Father and he had something in common as my Father had written an article about the Schneider 6B piloted by Harry Orlebar. They became good friends (although both dead now) and we occasionally attended his lectures that he frequently gave on flying Concorde (whilst promoting the latest iteration of his book!!)
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
You’ll know my brother then, I think he was doing CLN (or maybe North Sea) that day, though he might have been on the morning shift.
I do indeed. If I remember rightly I was spinning onto his watch that day. They went home at 1330 and avoided the afternoon carnage!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Link for the talk…

https://events.eventzilla.net/e/webi...atc-2138832722

Errrm, I’ve just noticed it starts at 1230 BST (1130 UTC). Which was news to me!!!

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Sep 14, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:22 pm

Link for the talk…

https://events.eventzilla.net/e/webi...atc-2138832722

Errrm, I’ve just noticed it starts at 1230 BST (1130 UTC). Which was news to me!!!
Rats... that makes it 4:30 AM where I'll be.

rb211.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
A lot of personal data is required to register, so I will have to pass on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.