Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How often are BA flights zapped (tracked and traced)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.

I have heard a few examples of colleagues receiving a track and trace notification several days after a return flight into the uk due to a passenger testing positive and they have been asked to isolate for 10 days.

I have not heard any discussion of this on here but maybe I have missed it

Is this happening often with BA fights; do they ask the whole plane or just near by passengers ?

It would be so annoying to be ‘trapped’ this way!
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:25 am
Suspended

I don't think its that infrequent. I think on a short haul flight conventional wisdom is it could be up to half the plane. Countdown to August 16 when this issue should go away for most. Luckily I only have one flight between now and then and its to get out of dodge!
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I suspect I have been caught by the app on a flight in the last few weeks - a few days after a domestic flight I was pinged by the Covid app, asking me to isolate for 5 days - and other than the bus back to Long Stay I can't think where I could have been close enough to people whom I didn't know. This wasn't through contact tracing though - just through the app.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:54 am

Entire flight in my experience. And the positive case that triggers it might not be related to the flight itself.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Entire flight in my experience. And the positive case that triggers it might not be related to the flight itself.
Could you elaborate?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
No idea how often it happens or how much of the aircraft is affected (which I guess could vary depending on whether it was a passenger or crew member that tested positive), but it’s happened to me recently. Was contacted by test and trace after a short haul flight and told to self-isolate. Bear in mind it’s 10 days from the contact with the positive case, so if contacted 5 days after entering England, you’d be asked to isolate for 5 further days.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
Could you elaborate?
I did in some other posts before - but in the case of my wife she was on a flight to ABZ from LHR, where customers don't need to test prior to flying. Two days later one of the travellers tested positive and after a few more days she was contacted by NHS Scotland who advised the whole flight, including crew and pilots, to self isolate. NHS England didn't know/wasn't aware.
cauchy likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I did in some other posts before - but in the case of my wife she was on a flight to ABZ from LHR, where customers don't need to test prior to flying. Two days later one of the travellers tested positive and after a few more days she was contacted by NHS Scotland who advised the whole flight, including crew and pilots, to self isolate. NHS England didn't know/wasn't aware.
Ah okay, so the primary case was on the ABZ to LHR, but people potentially ~30 metres away got pinged.

NHS Scotland used to do secondary contact tracing - pinging contacts of contacts. For example, if a non-travelling housemate of a passenger tested positive a day or two after the flight, then it seems the whole plane would be advised to isolate, even though the housemate never went near the plane. Thankfully they've now stopped this.
ajamieson and 13901 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by cauchy

NHS Scotland used to do secondary contact tracing - pinging contacts of contacts. For example, if a non-travelling housemate of a passenger tested positive a day or two after the flight, then it seems the whole plane would be advised to isolate, even though the housemate never went near the plane. Thankfully they've now stopped this.
That's some serious carpet bombing.
SxMan and Will100 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The App won't be doing much pinging on flights for various technical reasons. NHST&T will contact trace an entire flight if they get a positive case. I have been flying quite a bit through out the pandemic and I haven't been contacted.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The App won't be doing much pinging on flights for various technical reasons. NHST&T will contact trace an entire flight if they get a positive case. I have been flying quite a bit through out the pandemic and I haven't been contacted.
I was thinking that if all phones were on flight safe mode then Bluetooth would be disabled.. but I really can't work out where else the app ping could have come from - maybe it was the bus to the car park in this case... or my family has been keeping a dark secret from me
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
same here. 100+ domestic flights since last July and only contacted once by NHS T&T and no app pings. So either I am incredibly lucky or it’s not usually the whole plane which is asked to self isolate due to one case.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Funnily, I received notification today from NHS Scotland Track & Trace. Suspect it was for exactly this reason - tracked due to a flight. Annoyingly, I'm not sure which of the two flights it was on a particular day - as I missed the latter one due to late connection. However, was not able to update the UK PLF at that point so, from the NHS's view, I was a passenger on both flights. As I had been abroad, I had uninstalled the T&T app at that point, and didn't have a chance to reinstall it - so it deffo was not the app that got pinged.

Not sure whether it was the whole flight or just a cluster, but two travel companions also got pinged by T&T at the same time today, so was definitely to do with flights rather than anything else...! 😅
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was pinged by the NHS app last week, where my wife wasn't.

I was in CE and she was sat some 7 rows behind me in ET (having neglected to book her flight until the morning of travel) and this short hop (LCY-EDI) was the only time we weren't together in the window of exposure.

I guess it's possible I've passed by the affected (infected) person and she hasn't, but there were no separate toilet trips / coffees so I can't think where or when. I did strongly suspect it was the flight, but interesting reading the comments above.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I deleted the app to avoid rogue pings.

I was texted and emailed and told to isolate from a contact on a date I was in Ibiza and travelled home to LCY. I presume it was from the flight and they got my contact details from BA.
skipness1E likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.