Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BA experience at Manchester

BA experience at Manchester

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 17, 22, 5:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Wiki Link
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 22, 3:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
That’s because of the technology being used. MAN doesn’t currently have the same scanners that are employed at AMS. When it does, MAN too will follow the same procedure.
Indeed, going through LAX last week it was "everything bigger than a phone" had to be out of bags and in a tray.

I'm guessing the people who describe this sort of stuff as "disgraceful" aren't particularly well travelled?
Old Nov 13, 22, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC
I think the issue is that MAN operates a different security policy to every other UK airport but doesn’t publicise this (the website refers to ‘large electrical items’ but those who travel through regularly know that the definition of ‘large’ isn’t consistent with what happens in practice at the airport). A few shrill members of staff shouting ‘all electricals out’ doesn’t really assist.

Equally a lot of the criticism relates to lounges and MAN can’t be blamed for BA’s decision to close its lounge in the biggest UK airport outside London. With decent management BA would have taken the space back and would be refurbishing it this Winter, but I somehow doubt that will happen.
simon stingray and skipness1E like this.
Old Nov 13, 22, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Never Stansted View Post
I think the issue is that MAN operates a different security policy to every other UK airport but doesnt publicise this (the website refers to large electrical items but those who travel through regularly know that the definition of large isnt consistent with what happens in practice at the airport). A few shrill members of staff shouting all electricals out doesnt really assist..
Not a great fan of - MAN - my local airport as previous posts in the thread will show. But based on out from Man and back through JER last week our experience was far worst at Jersey. Exactly the same packaging in both directions. I was fine... but my partner literally had a small case and a carry on taken to pieces in every pocket at Jersey. She got told off for mixing toothpaste with cosmetics in carefully packed regulation zip locks! We sailed through MAN with no secondaries mid morning Saturday.
Old Nov 13, 22, 12:17 pm

First time with BA from MAN for about 5 years after a defection to Virgin.
Nobody in club queue ahead and served by a very friendly lady in less than 5 minutes.Through fast track security in similar time frame with a friendlier bunch than I remember in T3.
Escape lounge was fine, food was decent and hot. Not the BA lounge of old but perfectly adequate.
Boarding was the usual shambles with no boarding groups, signs or announcements of any kind (this was early Nov)
Flight to LHR was good, food excellent and friendly crew. As far as BA goes nothing to complain about.
I would say Ive travelled through all 3 terminals this year and it is clear that general maintenance and cleaning has been cut back on in T1/3. They looked tatty and dirty at the times I passed through. I must of been lucky but out of 4 return trips through the airport recently Ive sailed through without delay.
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold, VA Platinum.
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
out from Man and back through JER last week our experience was far worst at Jersey
Well I'm not sure one could compare Jersey with MAN.

I've been through MAN many times, and you could be delayed quite a while if you get a secondary, whereas at JER, it's such a small place with few pax that you wouldn't be delayed by more than 5 minutes at the worst.

I've only been through JER once, and yes, they were thorough and did select my carry-on for further checking, but it was all over within a couple of minutes.
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Grace B View Post
Well I'm not sure one could compare Jersey with MAN.

I've been through MAN many times, and you could be delayed quite a while if you get a secondary, whereas at JER, it's such a small place with few pax that you wouldn't be delayed by more than 5 minutes at the worst.

I've only been through JER once, and yes, they were thorough and did select my carry-on for further checking, but it was all over within a couple of minutes.
I've been through JER security about 25-30 times this year. Maximum queue was 15 mins, average no more than 5 mins. Selected for additional screening once in the whole year and it was done quickly and courteously.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 10:06 am

Just a quickie (I have scanned the thread and noted the comment in the stick about Prems etc) but are silvers allowed a guest in the Aspire T3 when travelling on the shuttle?
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SleeplessIn1A View Post
Just a quickie (I have scanned the thread and noted the comment in the stick about Prems etc) but are silvers allowed a guest in the Aspire T3 when travelling on the shuttle?
Yes

Search this Thread