Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Same flight, moving at warp speed to get the 23:33 Chester train. Folk still waiting for bags were from the earlier Heathrow flight (BA1404) which arrived arrived 30 minutes' late, just 40 minutes before us.

I still have to work out the car park route between T3 and the station, but that's a project for the daytime and when I have time to spare. It must be faster than the trundle up stairs and lifts, especially as any advantage from the (now decommissioned) walkways has been lost.
My route (although there may be a quicker way) is to follow the signs under the office block and into T1, exit T1 and then walk basically underneath the skylink and enter the station on the ground floor.
Modo and tyr like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
when you come up to the point where you enter T1, don't and bear right. Go past the multi storey entrances and across the small surface car park the other side, then under the skylink, across the road at the pedestrian crossing, and in to the station at the entrance on the ticket office floor.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:35 am

I'm flying MAN-LHR-MLE next week on a companion voucher. Getting worried as we only have a 2 hour connection in Heathrow. I called BA to see if I could move my MAN-LHR leg to an earlier flight but was told it'd be Ł313 more per person. If I want to cancel that leg it's Ł260! Really hope Manchester sort things.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sigma421
My route (although there may be a quicker way) is to follow the signs under the office block and into T1, exit T1 and then walk basically underneath the skylink and enter the station on the ground floor.
Originally Posted by KARFA
when you come up to the point where you enter T1, don't and bear right. Go past the multi storey entrances and across the small surface car park the other side, then under the skylink, across the road at the pedestrian crossing, and in to the station at the entrance on the ticket office floor.
I'm sure both routes are faster than my Skywalk journey: from there I've cast wistful looks at Ryanair crew marching confidently across the car park. To my credit, but still on the old route, I've discovered a shaft of stairs at the corner of T1 that avoid the cranky and slow-moving lifts.

It's almost worth a trip out to the airport on a lazy Sunday, armed with a stop watch
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tom31
I'm flying MAN-LHR-MLE next week on a companion voucher. Getting worried as we only have a 2 hour connection in Heathrow. I called BA to see if I could move my MAN-LHR leg to an earlier flight but was told it'd be Ł313 more per person. If I want to cancel that leg it's Ł260! Really hope Manchester sort things.
These are extraordinary times. Best you can do is plan what you'd like to happen if things go wrong: that puts you in a stronger position in any negotiation with the airline.

Oh, and get Manchester airport far earlier than you might otherwise. It will allow you to enter a zen-like state as you drift gracefully through the security lines. I gave myself three hours last week, and ended up with just twenty minutes to kill in the airside splendours before the heading for the gate.
Markie and tom31 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Been following this thread with interest as we need to head to Asia and Aus ASAP. We are Kendal based less than 5 minutes to the station with a direct train to MAN almost hourly.

Am I correct in thinking we might be quicker and safer heading to LHR and taking advantage of the First Wing as OWE - and a decent lounge? Travel time to LHR is barely 2 hours longer and pricing on many trains not dramtically more expensive. Sounding like any departure from Man that is pre midday needs an overnight hotel for us at MAN!!! Or a Ł120 taxi.
icebird and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:15 am

I flew from MAN to LHR this morning.

I booked Covid test at the station first thing and as a result arrived at T1 for check in at 08:00 - we were on the 11:40 departure and there was also a 10:40 flight.

Only two desks open at 08:00 and they were only checking in the 10:40 passengers, which was fair enough. A couple of staffers came round asking everyone on the 11:40 to step aside and let the earlier ones through first and informed us check in would start at 09:10 (so I wouldn’t be arriving too early). Eventually they had 4 desks open.

Security wasn’t bad either - in normal or fast track. I was through by 10am.

Escape Lounge at T3 was relatively quiet. But nice staff and very tidy.

Not the negative experience I was expecting!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Whilst it's obviously not horrible 100% of the time, I've been convincing casual holiday flyers leaving MAN to severely adjust expectations, which is proving worthwhile. It really is turning short hops into inordinate hassles, and makes selecting flights based on pricing as well as operational and ground staff reliability (as much as can be) part of the process. The MEN seems to now be getting plenty of traction with it, the top 3 articles are about Manchester Airport.. I'd love to see an airline pull up stumps and head elsewhere, but can't see it happening realistically - unless BA swung everything to LBA which I'm sure would please some. The only slim glimmer is the commencement of LH serving Liverpool. I'd take the 50 min extra drive and connecting in FRA over the debacle that is MAN every day, and that's saying something..
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Colesmore
...unless BA swung everything to LBA which I'm sure would please some.
That's me; a tiny part of me hopes MAN continues to be such a disgraces in the hope LBA returns to the schedule...!
Silver Fox, BJ787, KARFA and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
That's my route to and from The Station to Greggs in T1 when I've got a 25 minute turn around between trains and I want breakfast!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:58 pm

Live report from MAN T1.

Arrived 0635 for the 1055, factoring in advice to arrive early due to Security delays.

Although all 4 of us have got the VeriFly green tick, unable to check in online. Went to the BA desks and was told to come back at 0825 (so 2 and a half hours). When I queried this that we arrived early to factor in security delays - which are already snaking out of the security hall and along a row of check-in desks - she's just said 0825!

​​​​​​

​​​​​
Silver Fox and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
Live report from MAN T1.

…. Went to the BA desks and was told to come back at 0825 (so 2 and a half hours). When I queried this that we arrived early to factor in security delays - which are already snaking out of the security hall and along a row of check-in desks - she's just said 0825!

​​​​​
​​​​​
What a pain. Out of interest, did you receive a message from BA recommending you arrive early to check in?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:15 am

Nothing from BA, but we were looking at Manchester Airports own website. Everything pointed to the fact that we should arrive earlier!

"

We are aware security queues have been longer than we would have liked recently, and are working hard to keep waiting times to a minimum.

We urge all customers to play their part in ensuring the airport experience is as smooth as possible by arriving at the earliest possible time for check-in."
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:22 am

There is no answer to this. I have been looking at the EU situation and the UK does seem to be caught up in its own air and ferry transport chaos at the moment. The news this morning is now saying more and more airline and airport staff are calling in sick with Covid so to expect even more cancellations and disruption.
I flew out of Heathrow T2 last Thursday which was horrendously busy with bag drop taking an average of 2hrs, security staff shouting at passengers and endless queues in all the cafes and restaurants and even long queues outside airline lounges. You could see families running to gates after spending so long in queues. If you are flying soon, just be prepared to be in a sea of people, including if you are flying in premium cabins!
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:58 am

So we were waiting by the wall of the check in desks, as we were told 0825.then people started queing around the barriers, so I looked and the next BA flight was ours, so we joined the queue anyway.

Then at 0735 the check in girls arrived and started processing people. There was no Club check in, but people started arriving in the Club queue, and were getting seen. So my wife (I'm reporting her here) did a DYKWIA and moved out of the general queue into the priority queue!

Check in seemless with a coursary glance at Verifly. Then as we were about to negotiate security they were sending people to security B, where we are currently waiting to be screened!
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.