Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ademanuele
I just called BA to make a flight change and asked about Fast Track at Manchester. The person I spoke to was very helpful and went away to speak to a supervisor and they have no knowledge of an end to Fast Track (I have not yet had a response to my webform enquiry to BA). She also added that security was managed by the MAG group and they would unlikely be aware of such a change in advance...
this is sounds promising. The only reason I flagged this up as the security supervisor was adamant and quoting an exact date. I’m always ready to be wrong on this. We just all know the situation in BUD.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Just got a response from BA on Twitter. They said there’s no truth in the rumours - core part of the message below - not sure why they didn’t mention Silvers though.

MaxFlyer, Krisz, BravoKilo and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not a BA issue but how much money do MAG think they’re saving but not turning on the moving walkways in the bridges from the station to the terminals? They’ve been turned off for months and months.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Not a BA issue but how much money do MAG think they’re saving but not turning on the moving walkways in the bridges from the station to the terminals? They’ve been turned off for months and months.
According to another forum, they require new parts, and these parts are difficult / impossible (or probably just too expensive) to get.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC
And given the current high energy costs, it is probably quite a substantial saving to not have what will be some pretty large electric motors running 24/7
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm doing the LCY-MAN-LCY shuffle this weekend. I'm expecting an awful experience so here's hoping I'll be, at least partially, pleasantly surprised?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
According to another forum, they require new parts, and these parts are difficult / impossible (or probably just too expensive) to get.
I thought they'd just got them working again before the pandemic - and then they turned them off when passenger numbers didn't justify them running. If they've broken again then that's another thing. Oh well it helps the Fitbit steps a little. I don't mind them not working but I would have a different view if I travelled with heavy luggage.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Even with the power turned on, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference. The days when there was a reasonable expectation of finding more than half the stretches of walkway working are long gone. Cost cutting in acquisition and maintenance, I'm told: management incompetence the root.

But it's been a comfort for regular users of the airport to watch the revenue-generating multi-storey car parks going up in record time next to the walkway bridge.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
MAG could always invest in walkways that have sensors which only turn on once someone approaches them, but as mentioned above, it wouldn't be revenue generating for MAG so out of the picture. Actually, I'm surprised MAG haven't harnessed human walking as a means of powering the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MAG could always invest in walkways that have sensors which only turn on once someone approaches them...
Maybe they have.... but positioned the sensors badly
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I thought they'd just got them working again before the pandemic - and then they turned them off when passenger numbers didn't justify them running. If they've broken again then that's another thing. Oh well it helps the Fitbit steps a little. I don't mind them not working but I would have a different view if I travelled with heavy luggage.
They’re broken and the airport won’t be paying to fix them. They’ve admitted as much on Twitter

ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sigma421
They’re broken and the airport won’t be paying to fix them. They’ve admitted as much on Twitter
It's unsurprising given that T1 and its car park are scheduled for demolition as part of the transformation project (also involving a wholesale revamp of T3). The movements of people between T2, T3 and the Station will change, so you can't blame MAG for saving the expense of replacing them, only to be scrapped in a year or two.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hydebear
It's unsurprising given that T1 and its car park are scheduled for demolition as part of the transformation project (also involving a wholesale revamp of T3). The movements of people between T2, T3 and the Station will change, so you can't blame MAG for saving the expense of replacing them, only to be scrapped in a year or two.
The walkways have followed the trajectory of neglect and failure their in-terminal pier "travelators" went through, before they airport simply gave up on them.

For a decade or longer there have been one or (usually) more of the the station-airport walkways out of service.

I've heard a number of stories from airport staff: probably not one of them is fully accurate , but all focus on the airport's unwillingness to pay for an adequate maintenance service, insisting on firefighting with in-house teams inexperienced and inadequately equipped with spares. It's a tale with credibility, given the approach mirrored in other areas in the terminals not directly related to retail and opportunities to generate commercial revenue.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Hydebear
I'd be very surprised if T1 wasn't there in 10 years... The T2 upgrade is on hold, so there's no way they'll be demolishing T1 any time soon.
sigma421 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Some
MAG could always invest in walkways that have sensors which only turn on once someone approaches them, but as mentioned above, it wouldn't be revenue generating for MAG so out of the picture.
You massively underestimate MAG's ability to charge for things.

It's pretty obvious what they should do - run some tensa barriers between the walkways, station a perpetually grumpy Mancunian in uniform at the entrance and deliberately make it as unpleasant as possible if you avoid paying (dig some holes around the walkways so suitcase wheels get caught, remove part of the roof for 'maintenance' for three years so people not on the walkway get rained on, that kind of thing). Voila! Charge Ł1.50 as an add-on to Fast Track and you have a whole new revenue stream.

Can you tell I'm a MAG fan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.