Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 20:00 each day.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is usually belt 13.
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Jun 23, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
"Managed" decline?? Surely just Decline.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond
I remember once having fast track at Manchester and for some reason it was closed (staffing issue I think but canít remember). No big deal as I was early and only going to Heathrow but people in the queue were asking the teams managing the lines how this was acceptable for Emirates First/Business etc to which a staff member replied rather aggressively and told them to keep their voices down or theyíd be taken out of the queue. Perfectly reasonable question in my opinion. Iíve flown from there no more than 5 times in 5 years and each time had a different awful experience. Preferred LBA and hope it returns!
jmd, strowger, Modo and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA silver
After todayís chaos at T1 & T2, T3 has now been fully restored as the UKís worst airport terminal. God bless the corridor that is Gate 143 and all who queue in her.

Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Someone forgot to pay the bill!
According to the boss at MAN it was a cut underground power cable. Had to chuckle when he went on to say they'll be looking at the root cause of it.
Gastrocnemius and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Heard on the news they suspect a bunch of militant actors that travelled north via the underground and overground from London and are now suspected of Wombling free
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Perhaps they hadnít put 50p in the meter? After all what with drop off and trolley charges itís not beyond the realms of possibility
MaxFlyer and flarmip like this.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond, NOK Star
I flew on BA1407 last night. T3 relatively normal for a late afternoon on a Sunday. Boarding took a while and the Captain said it was because of the problems earlier in the day. The gate agents (who weren't the normal ones I've seen the last few weeks) appeared to have to do more thorough I.D. checks on some passengers, I think? Didn't get going until nearly 9pm, didn't help the flight up was late leaving LHR, I think there was a few missed connections.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 8:02 am

Programs: BA, Marriot, VS, Hilton, SPG
So the ID checks are generally down to people flying further afield. If you don't do it at the checkin desk or you don't have an iPhone then they need to check at the gate. Last time I flew out the person in front of me had a US visa and they had real trouble putting it through which then led to a queue of people liked me who just needed an ESTA check.
Was easier when BA had the lounge and you could do it at the desk.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I was also on BA1407 (and came up on 1402 so I saw both sides of this). 1402 was late out from Heathrow because of a late incoming from Italy, and sat on the taxiway not moving for 10-15 minutes before coming to the gate, so it went off over an hour late anyway. I was in the back for this leg and there was also some sort of passenger contretemps - inappropriate and possibly drunken behaviour - which the crew had to deal with instead of clearing the rubbish. So I think that knocked on a bit into clearing up and getting the passengers disembarked.

I was in row 1 for the return, and this did seem to take unaccountably long to start boarding, then although people were lined up and came on fairly quickly, the doors were left open for much longer than you'd expect. There were a lot of questions about potentially missed connections, and this in itself slowed boarding a little. The IFL did actually quite a decent job in fielding these but she didn't know much of the detail on conformance in T5 and what to do so I did direct at least 1 passenger to the disruption thread. In the event there was a staff member waiting at the door at Heathrow with dozens of disruption packs and new boarding passes.

There was some passenger anger about the length of the delay closing the doors, but I think what was happening is that passengers connecting on BA from Manchester were starting to come in via other terminals following diversions elsewhere, and although you could argue there were a lot of people already boarded who might have made connections had the plane shut the door and left, I expect BA's calculation was that it was better to have people at Heathrow where there would me more options for re-routing the next day without waiting for them to be shuttled down from Manchester, even if there were seats. So they hung on to allow them to board. Which I think is a good call in fact, though they ended up delivering me into a difficult transport situation because of some disruption on Thameslink.

Really very good crew who were working a bit of a shift to get a service out. There's a part of me which mutters about BA being unable to run a service to time, but I couldn't really find much that could have been done differently in this case.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I was also on BA1407 (and came up on 1402 so I saw both sides of this). 1402 was late out from Heathrow because of a late incoming from Italy, and sat on the taxiway not moving for 10-15 minutes before coming to the gate, so it went off over an hour late anyway. I was in the back for this leg and there was also some sort of passenger contretemps - inappropriate and possibly drunken behaviour - which the crew had to deal with instead of clearing the rubbish. So I think that knocked on a bit into clearing up and getting the passengers disembarked.

I was in row 1 for the return, and this did seem to take unaccountably long to start boarding, then although people were lined up and came on fairly quickly, the doors were left open for much longer than you'd expect. There were a lot of questions about potentially missed connections, and this in itself slowed boarding a little. The IFL did actually quite a decent job in fielding these but she didn't know much of the detail on conformance in T5 and what to do so I did direct at least 1 passenger to the disruption thread. In the event there was a staff member waiting at the door at Heathrow with dozens of disruption packs and new boarding passes.

There was some passenger anger about the length of the delay closing the doors, but I think what was happening is that passengers connecting on BA from Manchester were starting to come in via other terminals following diversions elsewhere, and although you could argue there were a lot of people already boarded who might have made connections had the plane shut the door and left, I expect BA's calculation was that it was better to have people at Heathrow where there would me more options for re-routing the next day without waiting for them to be shuttled down from Manchester, even if there were seats. So they hung on to allow them to board. Which I think is a good call in fact, though they ended up delivering me into a difficult transport situation because of some disruption on Thameslink.

Really very good crew who were working a bit of a shift to get a service out. There's a part of me which mutters about BA being unable to run a service to time, but I couldn't really find much that could have been done differently in this case.
Well, aside from swapping aircraft around to get the outbound off Heathrow on time. But of course BA decides to run with few spare aircraft, so that presumably wasn't possible.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
I arrived at the (BA) Escape Lounge around 4.45pm and they tried to farm me off to the busy (and boozy) bookable lounge (as they close at 6pm). I mentioned the other lounge was busy and they were OK for me to stay until 6pm. I initially tried to get the lift to the lounge but there was a group of drunken middle-aged (and clueless) women going up and down in the lift. What a wonderful place Manchester Airport is. The old BA lounge used to be such a pleasant and civilised place to wait for a flight, BA should be ashamed.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by flarmip
Well, aside from swapping aircraft around to get the outbound off Heathrow on time. But of course BA decides to run with few spare aircraft, so that presumably wasn't possible.
So if the intention was to ferry the maximum number of late incoming passengers to London, I don't think I see how speeding up the outbound would help, as they were clearly boarding quite breathless passengers who had come to the gate late from other flights. Remember there had been diversions all over the place that morning and afternoon. Where are these spare aircraft supposed to come from anyway?

Manchester is not a great airport to hang around in, though I did get the chance this trip to fly out on U2 and from T1 where there is the odd trace of what was once a very elegant terminal. Progress, unfortunately, often has a reverse gear.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Pushed back 7 mins early and arrived on stand at MAN 17 mins early - there I was thinking I'd managed to catch the lesser spotted punctual BA flight!

But it quickly descended into the usual MAN farce as there was only one dispatcher for 3 BA flights.

Once they got to us, there were a series of snafus involving the jetbridge being blocked by ground equipment and subsequently breaking down. We ended up being held on the aircraft for 45 minutes.
Crampedin13A, Grace B and DaveS like this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 1:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
I've started sending a complaint to BA every time their service to MAN (or back) is more than 30 minutes late. First e-voucher received yesterday.
Imposter likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ademanuele
I arrived at the (BA) Escape Lounge around 4.45pm and they tried to farm me off to the busy (and boozy) bookable lounge (as they close at 6pm). I mentioned the other lounge was busy and they were OK for me to stay until 6pm. I initially tried to get the lift to the lounge but there was a group of drunken middle-aged (and clueless) women going up and down in the lift. What a wonderful place Manchester Airport is. The old BA lounge used to be such a pleasant and civilised place to wait for a flight, BA should be ashamed.
The catering on Ďthe other sideí is actually superior to that offered in the Cardholder Lounge. Drunken middle-aged people is not restricted to MAN, Iíve seen similar behaviour in the CCR and similar lounges around the world. If I was asked to use the other lounge, Iíd see that as a win during meal times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.