Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I made a flying visit to MAN from NZ via DXB last month. I had a couple of BA trips ex-MAN-LHR and the security was dire. The KPI's made for interesting reading - they are displayed above each security run. They have a bag/hour screening measure and were hitting about 50-60% of the targets. Secondary screening on the two belts I could see rated about 20% of all bags .If they hit their performance targets I am sure the waiting time would be significantly reduced.
BA does seem to have improved queueing in the corridor for the gates with the queues forming against the flow, so you encounter the queue lanes and can work out which one you are meant t be standing in.
I recall working for MAN back when T3 was new and the standards BA required of us were phenomenal - they really cared for their passengers and the airport experience.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
It's not surprising their secondary screening rate is so high with the duff barcodes on some of the trays that the machine can't read.

Allied with thr fact they seem to make up new rules daily (for instance a headphone case had to be opened so they could see the headphones?!) It makes the whole experience a mess.

Last edited by bhbloke; Jul 2, 2023 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Recent experience

Done this run loads since the 1980s - last Saturday the priority queue was quick and painless - BA lounge experience is just not there anymore- I now try to time my arrival to get onto the plane and not bother with the quasi Ryanair experience that is now T3 at Manchester. YMMV
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Allied with the fact they seem to make up new rules daily (for instance a headphone case had to be opened so they could see the headphones?!) .
Indeed. Another random, occasional rule that is sometimes imposed - all charging cables / connectors etc must be taken out of a charger bag and laid out individually on the tray. I suspect staff arent trained in enough detail just all electricals must be taken out and theyre discouraged to use any sense around whether its a few cables / headphones in a separate bag, or a full tablet in the main carry on.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by squawk
To answer my own questions for the benefit of others in future: dropped off by taxi at T3 08:55, through Fast Track Security with no queue, and in the Escape lounge (the regular one, not the former 1903 one) at 09:05.

At this time on a Sunday, the regular security looked pretty quiet too - perhaps a couple of mins wait but not more than that.
I had a similar experience last Sunday, dropped off outside T3 at 14:37 - arrived at the lounge 14:46.
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I've had two experiences at MAN in the past few weeks, one at T2 for the last QR flight, and one at T3 for an 07:50 BA flight.

My impressions left me considering MAN to be something one might expect from a third world developing country. The infrastructure barely works, and it's a series of unfinished construction projects.

For example, not one of the 20 travelators between T2 and T1/T3 Skywalk were operating on the occasions I visited. They didn't seem to operating in T2 airside either. Useful to know if you're staying at one of the hotels claiming to be walking distance from the terminals (eg, Ibis, new Holiday Inn, or the Radisson Blu). MAN is not pedestrian friendly for the other hotels that seem to be a stone's through, but lacking any pedestrian route.

I can't fail to mention my worst experience of MAN is the drop off at T2, where you're charged a fiver if you inadvertently use that exit off the roundabout: the signage is complex, and it's very easy to make such a mistake, particularly at the end of a three hour journey. Even worse when you've already shelled out for prepaid parking at the adjacent car park. I felt like it's an instance of being set up to fail.

My T2 fast track experience was good, but it was the last flight of the day: I was done in a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, at least half the outlets were already closed, including the Escape lounge over an hour and a half before the last flight's scheduled departure. I was only just allowed into the 1903 lounge by an exceptionally grumpy lounge operative 1h15m before my scheduled departure time, "there's no food you know".

The T3 fast track early on the Saturday morning a week ago was more zoo-like in nature, definitely far from a premium experience, and it took about 15 minutes to clear.

The T3 escape lounge main area was very busy, I chose to sit on a bar stool at the window overlooking the terminal below., which was OK, but I wouldn't want to spend anymore time in that terminal than I absolutely had to now I've witnessed it. Oh, and neither of the lifts from ground level to departures was working, quite the middle finger if you've just walked all the way over from T2 without any of the travelators working.

My favourite on airport hotel is the Radisson Blu: the new Holiday Inn isn't fully open yet. I had a room at the new Holiday Inn for two nights last week, and tried to book the in house restaurant, but was told it's walk up only. So I walked up, and was promptly told I'd have to wait an hour. The ground floor bar was absolutely rammed, but presumably this will be addressed once they fully open with the rooftop bar. Parking is extremely limited, about 50 spaces at 25/day, but there's the airport car park right across the road, about 95 quid for two nights prepaid :-(

Which brings me to my favourite (off) airport hotel, the Marriott aka Delta. Back in my prime, over 30 years ago, this used to be the place to be seen. It was full of the Wilmslow set rubbing shoulders with off duty crew in the trendy bar, plus a few wannabes like me who couldn't afford to live in Wilmslow. It's rather more sedate nowadays, but has a Raymond Blanc restaurant, and for this alone it's worth staying: it enjoys talented career staff both front and back of house, such a rarity these days. An aberration to this IME are the bar staff adjacent who conduct monosyllabic transactions: this really could be a hip bar again with the right leadership and training. They have free EV charging too (bring your own cables, there's a 3kW 13A socket and a 7kW Type 2), and whether EV or not, it's free to park while staying, just remember to register your car reg at reception on the tablets. I didn't use the shuttle bus, I got a taxi both ways instead. This is the way to go in future if I ever find myself travelling to or from MAN again.

So, MAN has left me with two experiences I never wish to have again. Firstly, walking between T2 and T1/T3 without travelators, and secondly, getting stung for a fiver by inadvertently taking the drop-off trap road off a badly-signposted roundabout.
MaxFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jul 2, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I think BA should invest more in MAN. Its hard to
believe that for the size of the UK all roads lead to LON. Its outright scandalous that BA doesnt fly between JFK and MAN. The demand is there, it is just a chicken/egg situation.
endoman, Hydebear and wyddfa like this.

Last edited by destone; Jul 2, 2023 at 3:16 pm
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by destone
I think BA should invest more in MAN. Its hard to
believe that for the size of the UK all road leads to LON. Its outright scandalous that BA doesnt fly between JFK and MAN. The demand is there, it is just a chicken/egg situation.
Why would you invest in an airport that needs to be demolished?! Doesn't matter how much you roll it in glitter, it is what it is.

Hopefully once this alleged terminal move happens things will start to improve. I'm not sure what they can do about the security culture there, but otherwise they should be able to offer a better experience.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can anyone remember when the moving walkways at MAN actually <er> moved? I think it was c2015. It’s not the UK’s worst airport, year after year, for nothing.
They do seem rather pleased with themselves that they have a podcast. Fans of Alan Partridge will appreciate the genre.

Howard Long and ba_cityflyer like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Why would you invest in an airport that needs to be demolished?!
Invest can refer to lots of things.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Howard Long
The T3 escape lounge main area was very busy, I chose to sit on a bar stool at the window overlooking the terminal below., which was OK, but I wouldn't want to spend anymore time in that terminal than I absolutely had to now I've witnessed it.
Trimmed lots of stuff I agree with to say the lounge was the least disappointing bit of my use of the airport. Roasted chicken drumsticks and a cider from bar were a nice change to BA fare.
Crampedin13A and Howard Long like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Last time I was at MAN was just before travel stopped. Since the BA lounge closed I've not been back yet. We have a trip booked out of there in Sept stopping in the new Holiday Inn to get us to 5 nights for a BA holiday to keep gold. I guess the best way to get to the terminal is to walk to T2 somehow and then walk beside the walkways? Hopefully HBO but mrsendo may want to shop in IST so luggage ,may be taken...
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Trimmed lots of stuff I agree with to say the lounge was the least disappointing bit of my use of the airport. Roasted chicken drumsticks and a cider from bar were a nice change to BA fare.
I thought is was terribly tired, in need of some TLC. By the bar stools at the window overlooking the terminal, there's 20 or so chairs with side tables reminiscent of a US school room, or the Blues Brother's scene with Sister Stigmata.

I was there at breakfast time and had the remnants of a hangover, so cider wasn't foremost on my mind.
EsherFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I thought is was terribly tired, in need of some TLC. By the bar stools at the window overlooking the terminal, there's 20 or so chairs with side tables reminiscent of a US school room, or the Blues Brother's scene with Sister Stigmata.

I was there at breakfast time and had the remnants of a hangover, so cider wasn't foremost on my mind.
Cider is my hair of the dog, although hangovers are very rare for me.

Agreed it is tired. Reminded me of some of the half hearted lounges at various EU locations. Just not the worst part of my MAN experience.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:37 pm

Not only do the moving walkways not move- when I was there a couple of weeks ago all but one of the escalators didn't work in T2 and the approach from the station. An absolute disgrace and clear lack of basic management accountability and expertise.

BTW Looking at the MAG group last financial statement they made nearly 160M GBP from parking so I guess they can always increase the price to drop off passengers to raise more revenue. And another interesting nugget is that Manchester City Council which owns 35% of the airport holding company has a loan to MAHL for nearly 370M and in 2022 there were no repayments on this loan. So they have benefitted from a zero interest loan from the good citizens of Mancheste!!!!. Remember that when they bark random instructions at you at the security line, or get fleeced for parking - your tax income is funding this shambles
Howard Long likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.