BA fast track in BCN

Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

BA fast track in BCN

Had a strange experience few days ago. Flying BCN LHR JFK. BCN LHR leg is operated by BA but marketed by AA (AA flight number). Flying in ET as OWE. Tried to go to FastTrack lane and my boarding pass scanned red. Lady working fast track lane sent me back to check in to get some kinds fast track pass or card (not sure since she spoke Spanish). I asked check in agent to give me fast track pass. She looked at my boarding pass and told me that FastTrack is only for BA. Which doesnt make sense to me - pre covid I used to use this fast track lane.
I also was y see impression that when I fly OneWorld in any cabin I should get fast track if its available at that airport.
was agent in the wrong or BA being cheap and denying non BA pax their benefits?
BTW check in agents were Iberia personnel in Iberia uniforms.
could someone clarify please.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
AFAIK, fast-track for OWE is only available on a limited set of airport worldwide.

Unfortunately, BCN is not one of those airports.

I believe BAEC elite members do benefit from fast-track in BCN, but that privilege is not applicable to other OWE status holders.

To see which airports have fast-track for OWE members, use the OW lounge search tool.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges

It also shows you whether the airport/terminal has fast-track for OWE members.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Much as I wish that every benefit were available to OWE and OWS consistently, it's sadly not quite the case. With some airports, all is fine and a OneWorld Elite gets everything they would expect - and with others it's the red light and a "go away" beep. I got caught by this the first time I travelled in ET from HEL and I ended up missing my flight.

It does seem to get more complicated (and less consistent) when it involves non-OWE staff, such as fast track security which tends to require agreement with the airport operator. Normally therefore check-in and boarding is likely to be consistent as it's under airline control, but security and third-party lounge access tends not to be consistent, especially if the agreement is by airline and not by alliance.

Always best to check in advance, despite the OneWorld marketing, especially if your time at the airport might be tight.
gateH15 and justin_krusty like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobsw
AFAIK, fast-track for OWE is only available on a limited set of airport worldwide.

Unfortunately, BCN is not one of those airports.

I believe BAEC elite members do benefit from fast-track in BCN, but that privilege is not applicable to other OWE status holders.

To see which airports have fast-track for OWE members, use the OW lounge search tool.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges

It also shows you whether the airport/terminal has fast-track for OWE members.
thank you this makes sense. I also reached out to AA and they told me I should have access to the FastTrack in BCN. But since BA wont give me that fast track card its not possible.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
thank you this makes sense. I also reached out to AA and they told me I should have access to the FastTrack in BCN. But since BA wont give me that fast track card its not possible.
BA don't subscribe to AENA (Airport Operator) Fast Lane security at Barcelona other than for Club Europe passengers. Therefore your OW Status is irrelevant as the airline and class you're flying is key here. Had you been eligible then fast track or priority would have printed onto your boarding pass, there's no access card to collect. AA are incorrect in what they told you.

Incidentally you can purchase fast track access for 4 per person on the AENA website/mobile app, although it's pretty pointless. It's not a separate security per se, just a separate access to the same security lanes everyone else uses without having to navigate a tensa barrier maze.
gateH15 and VSLover like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jul 13, 2021 at 12:59 am
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
In Linate (LIN) last month my mobile boarding pass said 'fast track' on it, went to fast track was denied at the gates. At the help desk by the gates they told me BA no longer pay for fast track here. I am gold and also in CE.
So it looks like some cutbacks have been made, but in different airports different level of cuts have been made.
Why do I mention this in a thread about BCN? Just to make people aware that what works in one airport might not work in another even if it used to in the past.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
BA don't subscribe to AENA (Airport Operator) Fast Lane security at Barcelona other than for Club Europe passengers. Therefore your OW Status is irrelevant as the airline and class you're flying is key here. Had you been eligible then fast track or priority would have printed onto your boarding pass, there's no access card to collect. AA are incorrect in what they told you.

Incidentally you can purchase fast track access for 4 per person on the AENA website/mobile app, although it's pretty pointless. It's not a separate security per se, just a separate access to the same security lanes everyone else uses without having to navigate a tensa barrier maze.
BA does provide fast track security access for BAEC gold and silver members (not sure about bronze) at BCN. It's not coded on the boarding card and you do have to pick up a permit from the check-in desk, I've done this many times (not worth doing if there's a big queue at the desk).

There is, (or at least was pre-covid) an entirely separate fast track lane with its own security, not part of the main security tensa-maze. I've not been through there for a year though so I don't know if that's closed at the moment (it was accessed through a doorway mid-way between the BA desks and the main security entrance).
stewardo likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by volar
BA does provide fast track security access for BAEC gold and silver members (not sure about bronze) at BCN. It's not coded on the boarding card and you do have to pick up a permit from the check-in desk, I've done this many times (not worth doing if there's a big queue at the desk).

There is, (or at least was pre-covid) an entirely separate fast track lane with its own security, not part of the main security tensa-maze. I've not been through there for a year though so I don't know if that's closed at the moment (it was accessed through a doorway mid-way between the BA desks and the main security entrance).
It's still there. And open... (What IS closed is the sneaky quasi-fast tracks of the Puente Aereo and the regional flight wing, which can be very useful if you happen to be flying on VY or some other airline where your status is useless and/or are coming up from the metro with boarding pass already in hand.)

And as you mention, it is a benefit that BA was/is only providing via a paper permit to its own elites (AFAIK) .
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volar

it is still there and thats where I was denied. I would honestly pay any reasonable amount of money myself if there was an option so I dont have to deal with that crazy maze for regular security. One time pre covid I was flying VY and had to wait in line for 1 hour and 10 min!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
it is still there and thats where I was denied. I would honestly pay any reasonable amount of money myself if there was an option...
As [MENTION=156018]1Aturnleft[/MENTION] points out, for future reference you can buy a fast track permit for BCN on the Aena website https://www.aena.es/en/josep-tarrade...fast-lane.html
The current price appears to be EUR5.50 per person.
ThatT1Feeling and gateH15 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Fast track in BCN is alive and well, plus its well situated just to the right of the check-in desks which BA and IB use. On IB flights BCN-MAD booked in Y using avios, I always show my GGL card and my boarding pass shows OWE and the Fast Track.
On the other hand, VY operated flights, even with a BA flight number, do not qualify for Fast Track with a OWE card.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
I confirm that the fast track in BCN T1 does still exist - it consists of 2 scanners - one used for family access, another for premium passengers. I used it a couple of weeks ago. They also have dedicated staff, so it does help to pass security faster, than going through the usual maze. But I have to say, BCN security is usually quite quick, compared to LHR, for instance. I usually just buy fast track pass at the door through AENA app. Or you can buy one in advance - it will be valid for 7 days from the date of purchase. The price is indeed 5,50 Euros per person. The passes are not personal, hence you can buy them for friends and family, even if you are not flying, and email/message the QR codes to them.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dumba
I confirm that the fast track in BCN T1 does still exist - it consists of 2 scanners - one used for family access, another for premium passengers. I used it a couple of weeks ago. They also have dedicated staff, so it does help to pass security faster, than going through the usual maze. But I have to say, BCN security is usually quite quick, compared to LHR, for instance. I usually just buy fast track pass at the door through AENA app. Or you can buy one in advance - it will be valid for 7 days from the date of purchase. The price is indeed 5,50 Euros per person. The passes are not personal, hence you can buy them for friends and family, even if you are not flying, and email/message the QR codes to them.
so this pass that you buy for 5.50 euro is only to skip the line at the maze right? Can you buy a pass to go thru that double door fast track reserved for First/Biz?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
so this pass that you buy for 5.50 euro is only to skip the line at the maze right? Can you buy a pass to go thru that double door fast track reserved for First/Biz?
the AENA fast pass allows you to go through the double door fast track, just as if you had a biz class ticket or elite frequent flyer card.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ubiest
the AENA fast pass allows you to go through the double door fast track, just as if you had a biz class ticket or elite frequent flyer card.
thank you! I will def purchase it next time just to make sure I never have to go thru that anxiety maze again! 5 euros is a very good price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.