Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Connecting AA-BA ORD next month

Old Jul 8, 21, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Hi there

i was booked on a SAN-LHR in J that has been rebooked SAN-ORD-LHR for next month. Iíve a 4.5hr connection in ORD.

Whats it like connecting AA-BA in ORD, Iíve never done it? Is there a lounge open for BA customers in T5?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 21, 6:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Hi there

i was booked on a SAN-LHR in J that has been rebooked SAN-ORD-LHR for next month. Iíve a 4.5hr connection in ORD.

Whats it like connecting AA-BA in ORD, Iíve never done it? Is there a lounge open for BA customers in T5?

Thanks
The BA lounges at T5 are still closed at this time. However, you should be able to pop into the T3 Admirals Club after you step off the SAN-ORD flight. If AA isnít able to issue you with a boarding pass at SAN for the onward flight, you should allow about 30 mins travel time to get over to T5 before BA check-in closes.
Old Jul 8, 21, 7:13 am

SAN-ORD-LHR should be easier than the other way round, there is (or used to be) an airside bus offered by AA between T3 and T5.
Old Jul 8, 21, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
SAN-ORD-LHR should be easier than the other way round, there is (or used to be) an airside bus offered by AA between T3 and T5.
That bus was great, esepcially if you timed it just right. Allowed you more time in T3 before heading toi T5 where there is absolutely nothing outside the BA lounge.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 21, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
That bus was great, esepcially if you timed it just right. Allowed you more time in T3 before heading toi T5 where there is absolutely nothing outside the BA lounge.
There's a few restaurants airside in T5 it I remember properly. Got some spectacular food poisoning from one of those when I went there for work back in '18. I mean, a proper job.
Old Jul 8, 21, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. Between lack of lounge, bus connection etc it doesnít seem like a great option
Old Jul 8, 21, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; United PP, Delta, IHG PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
the airside bus is great but it wasn't running yet in June. That should still be plenty of time to make the connection.
Agree though that even in the best of times T5 is kind a lacking. Even if you want to take a walk before getting on a long flight, it's small with not much to do.

I have close to that same connection booked in a month and plan to spend the time in the AA Admirals Club. Not a bad choice in these Covid times

Another option that is very easy is to see if there is room on an AA flight ORD-LHR. Those leave from T3 at ORD so no issue at all and plenty of time for the AA lounge. With AA in T3 right now at LHR (I think that will be that for a while yet?), there shouldn't be much difference in your LHR arrival
Old Jul 8, 21, 10:06 am

When the BA lounge was open, we would often check to see if there were upgrades for purchase at the lounge desk.
If the T-5 BA lounge remains closed [traveling in August], will the AA Admirals Club do this or should we check and book
over the phone before day of departure?
Thanks for the help
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:38 pm

When you booked ORD-LHR did it say if it was the new club suite on the A350-1000? I see that BA says it's a 777 for my dates in Sept, but flightaware says right now tfrom ORD that's it's a 350-1000. So was curious what it's showing your way when you booked it.

Also during Sept of last years, I made the track from T3-T5 to drop off bags and pick up tickets then went back to T3 for lounge access in AA without bags. The bus over process wasn't to bad but I would build in about 30 minutes just to be safe since T5 didn't have pre-screen and I couldn't find the secure bus transfer during Covid times.
Old Jul 8, 21, 8:44 pm

Programs: EXP Aadvantage, but defected to BAEC
Hi there

Thanks
any chance you could switch it to SAN-DFW-LHR? ORD is a 4hr internal flight and DFW is a 3hr internal flight. Iíd rather keep the domestics on AA as short as possible. You might also be able to work a schedule with a shorter layover through DFW
Old Jul 8, 21, 9:27 pm

Hi there

Thanks
Iíve done it recently. The BA Lounge is closed though until recently they had a BA Lounge sign up in the main restaurant area which made it look like the lounge was open. In the BA terminal, the Precheck experience is quite poor later in the evening as they made everybody take electronics outÖ but allowed you to take shoes off. I questioned it and was told that the pre-check was not operational. I had to go through security because there was no airside bus transfer when I did my transit, so I had to do a landside bus transfer which didnít take long at all (5 minutes?). I donít know if the airside transfer option has started up again. I know that there were plans for some new transfer options (perhaps a electric train) but I donít know if that work has been halted or not.

The Admirals Club is decent. I didnít have chance to spend time for my AA-BA transfer, as it was on reduced hours. However Iíve been back since just on AA and it is pretty good. The queues for the bar can take a while, and the Flagship Lounge floor isnít accessible at the moment (I was told it might reopen by the end of the year). The staff there are great particularly at the kiosks on the Admirals Club floor, as they have helped me out so kindly during disruption before.

As for the BA terminal, hopefully the food service has improved there. There was nothing open when I visited apart from a Burger King (I think) with staff who got very cranky about serving people near the time of closing. Hopefully, other food services have opened now though.

In my opinion, the BA terminal experience is very poor at ORD, but the AA terminals fare better. The only issue I really notice with the AA terminals is that they are ridiculously busy (not as busy as CLT, but still pretty busy). Iíd suggest staying in the AA side of things, particularly the Admirals Club, for as long as possible assuming that any checked luggage is throughchecked.
Old Jul 8, 21, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
When the BA lounge was open, we would often check to see if there were upgrades for purchase at the lounge desk.
If the T-5 BA lounge remains closed [traveling in August], will the AA Admirals Club do this or should we check and book
over the phone before day of departure?
Thanks for the help
I doubt that AA will be able to do anything like that, unfortunately. You might be able to drop by the BA check in desk pre-security to ask. I donít know enough about whether the BA phone or social media channels would have access to the ticket on the day of the flight to process upgrades. Iím sure others would know.
Old Jul 8, 21, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Why on earth doesn't BA tug their plane over to T3 after deplaning from LHR and let departing passengers depart out of one of the AA gates? If their lounge in the otherwise dead international Terminal 5 is closed, why would they want premium passengers to have a zombie departures experience? Certainly AA can afford a half- dozen check in desks (at least a third are currently dark anyhow), and then the BA departures get at least something of a lounge plus the ease of connections for people like the OP.

Search this Thread