Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BA to Berlin (or northern Germany)

Old Jul 7, 21, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.

As I have not been doing a lot of travel recently, Im a bit out of touch!
Id like to go ASAP, but BER currently doesn't even have daily flights.
​​​​​​​
Are BA likely to add flights to Germany over the next few weeks not that fully Vax pax can travel there?
Old Jul 7, 21, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes. Wait for some announcements from the Department for Transport tomorrow (Thursday) lunchtime.
Old Jul 7, 21, 4:13 am

Unless someone has some inside information, I think predicting where BA will fly next is rather tricky we can make some educated guesses based on a few factors but beyond that it is crystal ball gazing.

My instinct is that for Amber list countries such as Germany, once fully vaccinated travellers are no longer required to quarantine at the destination (Germany has changed as of today, to permit this), and once something similar applies on returning to the UK (there is discussion on the likelihood of this in the UK & Ireland subforum) that will spur demand.

So perhaps well see flights being introduced to Berlin, Hamburg etc in the next couple of weeks, as these things work themselves out.

In the absence of a direct flights, theres always Frankfurt and the train - though that is more than four hours.

edit: beaten to it by corporate-wage-slave with a better answer!
Old Jul 7, 21, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by squawk View Post
In the absence of a direct flights, there’s always Frankfurt and the train - though that is more than four hours.
Besides the few weekly BA rotations, there's also Easyjet serving LGW-BER (and FR serving STN-BER, but that's likely too inconvenient for most). And, of course, Lufty serving LHR-FRA-BER with 1-2 daily rotations under 4h total travel time.

I think those are better options than LCY-FRA on BA followed by the train.

In any case, more directly on the OP's question: If memory serves me right, BA was quite fast after the easing of travel restrictions following previous covid waves to ramp up rotations to BER. It's an important market to them. Again, if memory serves me right, they increased rotations to, say, FRA and DUS a bit more slowly than to Berlin. Therefore, my best guess would be they'll add flights to BER soon.
stewaran and squawk like this.
Old Jul 7, 21, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks All

Looking forward to the news tomorrow.
Have a new employee just started for me in Berlin, and on-boarding remotely certainly has its challenges!
Old Jul 8, 21, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Apologies for jumping on this thread, but hoping somebody may be able to help

Travelling to BER in August for the half marathon with wife and two kids (5 and 2). Wife and I are both fully vaccinated with proof via NHS app.

I understand that the kids are exempt from testing on age grounds, but are there any covid tests that we need to take before leaving the UK - or is it just the day 2 after arrival test that we need to arrange?
Old Jul 8, 21, 9:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
I understand that the kids are exempt from testing on age grounds, but are there any covid tests that we need to take before leaving the UK - or is it just the day 2 after arrival test that we need to arrange?
The UK arrivals thread in the Coronavirus forum has the best information on this, but the short version is that the 2 year old needs to do no testing at the UK arrival end, the 5 year old needs just the day2 PCR. Germany requires arriving children to have an antigen, PCR, TMA2 or LAMP test.
Old Jul 8, 21, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The UK arrivals thread in the Coronavirus forum has the best information on this, but the short version is that the 2 year old needs to do no testing at the UK arrival end, the 5 year old needs just the day2 PCR. Germany requires arriving children to have an antigen, PCR, TMA2 or LAMP test.
thank you corporate-wage-slave . However I have just had a look at the German foreign office website, which states children 6 and above need a negative test on arrival.
Old Jul 8, 21, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
BA has just zeroed FRA and STR to LHR flights (what little was left) first week of August. I am tracking because my current itinerary returns STR-LHR-SFO 2nd week of August and now I'm quite nervous there will be no options left on BA. So this seems to be going in the opposite direction.
Old Jul 8, 21, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spgaston View Post
BA has just zeroed FRA and STR to LHR flights (what little was left) first week of August. I am tracking because my current itinerary returns STR-LHR-SFO 2nd week of August and now I'm quite nervous there will be no options left on BA. So this seems to be going in the opposite direction.
I think they have been flying wide bodied aircraft to FRA and STR for automotive freight. Maybe if they are adding extra rotations they wont need the once a day wide bodies?

Maybe just optimist hope!
Old Jul 8, 21, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by stewaran View Post
I think they have been flying wide bodied aircraft to FRA and STR for automotive freight. Maybe if they are adding extra rotations they wont need the once a day wide bodies?
Hmm, these are A319/320 I think.
Old Jul 9, 21, 1:07 am

Programs: Yes
If I may hijack this thread slightly - am I right in saying that as a fully vaccinated adult travelling to Germany, all I need is the NHS App and German PLF, and no tests before boarding the flight?
Old Jul 9, 21, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spgaston View Post
Hmm, these are A319/320 I think.
Ahh OK, I read a news article about it, but maybe out of date

Also, sadly no extra rotations to BER as yet :-(
Old Jul 10, 21, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Quark999 View Post
If I may hijack this thread slightly - am I right in saying that as a fully vaccinated adult travelling to Germany, all I need is the NHS App and German PLF, and no tests before boarding the flight?
I think, though stand to be corrected, that you still need a negative test before departing the U.K.?
Old Jul 10, 21, 2:48 pm

Programs: Yes
That's what I am trying to figure out, because the wording on "pre-departure" tests everywhere is mightily confusing. But I don't see a requirement in the German entry procedure for "high incidence" areas if you're fully vaccinated - so I am just slightly worried that the airline or Heathrow want to see a test result that I haven't read about...

Search this Thread