Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Berlin (or northern Germany)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Quark999
Well, I’d be glad if BA flew at least from MUC and FRA, but they don’t even do that with any sort of sensible frequency…
The end of July frequencies are bad. I need to go to STR next week. Of course no flights there. There is one(!) flight to MUC this Friday (too early, nothing next week), nothing to ZRH at all. The only available option is a twice weekly (Thu/Sun) to FRA - and that is from LCY.

Things seem to be getting better from August onwards. I guess BA just don't see the business case in ramping up supply too quickly. And I suppose they have a point: Considering the very low level of supply I would have expected sky high fares. They are higher than normal, but not at an outrageous level. I guess the removal of travel restrictions for the double-vaccinated on both sides is still a little fresh to have had a noticeable impact on passenger numbers.

Regarding the German PLF: Is it just a matter of uploading the NHS vaccination pdf?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Regarding the German PLF: Is it just a matter of uploading the NHS vaccination pdf?
That's what I did - once the PLF has been filled out you will get a PIN sent via email or text that you can use to upload "documentation". I used the NHS PDF, and obvs also printed it out as I suspect someone might want to see it during checkin. I didn't receive any confirmation, and after the fact I can not even tell that I have done it. I guess if necessary I will need to evidence the vaccination status directly through the NHS App or printout.

By the way, one interesting nugget I realised is that the German "Corona Warn App" is perfectly able to scan in the UK NHS QR codes from the NHS app or printout, and store the vaccination certificates as its own. Perhaps this could come in handy in Germany if/when people want to see evidence of vaccination so as not to confuse them with the NHS app that they might question. I was surprised that this already works - I have to wonder how much "integration" of the various vaccination systems there actually has to be, and whether half of it is just off-the-shelf stuff anyway.
Markie, LCY8737, stewaran and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
That's what I did - once the PLF has been filled out you will get a PIN sent via email or text that you can use to upload "documentation". I used the NHS PDF, and obvs also printed it out as I suspect someone might want to see it during checkin. I didn't receive any confirmation, and after the fact I can not even tell that I have done it. I guess if necessary I will need to evidence the vaccination status directly through the NHS App or printout.

By the way, one interesting nugget I realised is that the German "Corona Warn App" is perfectly able to scan in the UK NHS QR codes from the NHS app or printout, and store the vaccination certificates as its own. Perhaps this could come in handy in Germany if/when people want to see evidence of vaccination so as not to confuse them with the NHS app that they might question. I was surprised that this already works - I have to wonder how much "integration" of the various vaccination systems there actually has to be, and whether half of it is just off-the-shelf stuff anyway.
Thanks , Thats great to know as i cant complete it yet as my flight is next Monday
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
This is an absolutely brilliant bit of information. I was thinking of getting an EU vaccination certificate while over there to help with travel in the future. But from what I heard it is a bit of hit and miss, with some pharmacies happy to issue one, but most following guidance not to issue certificates to people who have been vaccinated outside the EU. Thank you - very pleased with my new EU certificate!!!
Quark999 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Amb Elite
Originally Posted by PhilE
I had Avios bookings for Düsseldorf to London on 3rd Aug, returning 10th Aug and both flights have now been cancelled with no alternative provided by BA. I plan to write to BA priority line and understand if they expect to reinstate flights (am hoping Germany goes onto UK green list next week which should trigger an increased schedule) or ask them to put me on Eurowings instead (who still have a few flights running).
Quick update in case it’s helpful - BA don’t have a rebooking agreement with Eurowings so offered Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian connection alternatives. As for Germany remaining amber… 🙄
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
quick update - trip was much easier than it sounded (so far, returning tomorrow). at the border no papers were checked, had my passport stamped which was a novelty for a european trip!
from doors open to landside in less than 5 mins
mustafina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.