Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Berlin (or northern Germany)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by Quark999
If I may hijack this thread slightly - am I right in saying that as a fully vaccinated adult travelling to Germany, all I need is the NHS App and German PLF, and no tests before boarding the flight?
My interpretation of the rules are (as a UK Citizen coming from the UK):
  1. PLF required via https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/
  2. T-72 PCR / T-48 RAT / Proof of Vaccination (Second dose + 14) when entering
  3. Quarantine for 10 days once landed or upload proof of vaccination to immediately end quarantine
You only get the upload link and pin once you have submitted your PLF
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by angeloedades
  1. PLF required via https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/
  2. T-72 PCR / T-48 RAT / Proof of Vaccination (Second dose + 14) when entering
  3. Quarantine for 10 days once landed or upload proof of vaccination to immediately end quarantine
Thanks, that’s my interpretation too and thanks for pointing out the PLF/PIN thing for the upload of the vaccination status.

So being double vaccinated, it should mean in the outbound direction TO Germany I should be able to just rock up with my German PLF (and proof of vaccination status) and be on my way…
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Had a look at flights to Germany this morning and it still looks pretty limited. Does anybody have an idea how long it would usually take BA to add additional flights?
angeloedades likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Had a look at flights to Germany this morning and it still looks pretty limited. Does anybody have an idea how long it would usually take BA to add additional flights?
I had been hopeful that I could use BA to fly to Germany, but I have had to resort to flying Lufthansa as they at least seem to have twice daily flights to Munich, Frankfurt etc. I had long given up flying to Stuttgart, but BA currently seems to struggle to get to anywhere in Germany, and with reports of crew shortages etc. I am not getting the impression that Germany is a high priority for them, even with with the Amber list changes and the move of the UK from "virus variant" to "high incidence" area by the Germany authorities and the corresponding removal of quarantine requirements.
So I suspect BA feels that Greek islands and other sunseeker destinations are actually more important at the moment...
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Amb Elite
BA LHR to DUS cancelled

I had Avios bookings for Düsseldorf to London on 3rd Aug, returning 10th Aug and both flights have now been cancelled with no alternative provided by BA. I plan to write to BA priority line and understand if they expect to reinstate flights (am hoping Germany goes onto UK green list next week which should trigger an increased schedule) or ask them to put me on Eurowings instead (who still have a few flights running).
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I had been hopeful that I could use BA to fly to Germany, but I have had to resort to flying Lufthansa as they at least seem to have twice daily flights to Munich, Frankfurt etc. I had long given up flying to Stuttgart, but BA currently seems to struggle to get to anywhere in Germany, and with reports of crew shortages etc. I am not getting the impression that Germany is a high priority for them, even with with the Amber list changes and the move of the UK from "virus variant" to "high incidence" area by the Germany authorities and the corresponding removal of quarantine requirements.
So I suspect BA feels that Greek islands and other sunseeker destinations are actually more important at the moment...
People who prefer Greek islands over Stuttgart? Clearly not right in the head.

I finally booked FRA and decided to hire a car. Avis wants 475 euros for 3 days (cheapest category). Looks like this trip won't be cheap.
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Ive booked to BER next week, out Monday, back Thursday. ideally would have done just 1 night but not possible currently.

just trying to organise all the documents and PLF now.

I guess the ease of this trip will be a barometer for my future travelling!
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:45 am

I am glad you agree

I don’t necessarily disagree with BA as they are trying to maximise revenue and are struggling with crew availability - it is interesting that they have essentially completely withdrawn from the German market, and left it entirely to Lufthansa, and it will also be interesting to watch as to when/if they feel it worthwhile and able to return to it.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:46 am

I am glad you agree

I don’t necessarily disagree with BA as they are trying to maximise revenue and are struggling with crew availability - it is interesting that they have essentially completely withdrawn from the German market and left it entirely to Lufthansa, and it will also be interesting to watch as to when/if they feel it worthwhile and able to return to it.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
I am glad you agree

I don’t necessarily disagree with BA as they are trying to maximise revenue and are struggling with crew availability - it is interesting that they have essentially completely withdrawn from the German market and left it entirely to Lufthansa, and it will also be interesting to watch as to when/if they feel it worthwhile and able to return to it.
since there is no LH flight that doesnt either start or end in MUC/FRA there will be a market for BA. i dont want to fly to LHR via München or Frankfurt.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nephoi
since there is no LH flight that doesnt either start or end in MUC/FRA there will be a market for BA. i dont want to fly to LHR via München or Frankfurt.
BA is historically good at Rev Mgmt. If putting loads of Berlin capacity on was profitable I am sure they would (I’d love to go!)
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:12 am

thats the reason why they had up to 12/13 daily flights each direction to up to three of the London AIrports each day. We had more flights per day than other european cities per week.

for the record: i personally find it very disappointing that our flag carrier only offer flights to two other cities with their mainline. i just dont want to need other countrys airlines to get a decent number of nonstop connections to other european capitals. if you want to do a weekend trip to LON/BCN/MAD/PAR/VIE/BUD/EDI or jenesaispasville i have to use BA/KLM/AY/IB... thats why im a oneworld boy now.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:23 am

One of the real challenges of both international and domestic service reductions is that if you have to connect to a domestic at LHR, it can cause long connections (or even enforced overnight stops). In my case, that applies to the 3 BA-served airports within reasonable range: Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Basel.

Given the hassle associated with these connections, I was planning to try the direct daily Lufthansa FRA-NCL route which began at the end of June. That seems to have been reduced to approx every second day already.

Very much hoping there will be an uptick in BA flights to Germany after next week, but understand their need to maximise revenue on the routes for British sun-seekers after a really awful year.

Unfortunately at the moment, South West Germany is very much not place for those wanting any weather except torrential rain…
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:38 am

Well, I’d be glad if BA flew at least from MUC and FRA, but they don’t even do that with any sort of sensible frequency…
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by squawk
One of the real challenges of both international and domestic service reductions is that if you have to connect to a domestic at LHR, it can cause long connections (or even enforced overnight stops). In my case, that applies to the 3 BA-served airports within reasonable range: Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Basel.

Given the hassle associated with these connections, I was planning to try the direct daily Lufthansa FRA-NCL route which began at the end of June. That seems to have been reduced to approx every second day already.

Very much hoping there will be an uptick in BA flights to Germany after next week, but understand their need to maximise revenue on the routes for British sun-seekers after a really awful year.

Unfortunately at the moment, South West Germany is very much not place for those wanting any weather except torrential rain…
on a ticket that got later refunded anyway BA offered me the Thursday midday LHR-BER flight as the earliest connection for the JFK-LHR service that leaves JFK monday 6:30 arriving in LHR tuesday morning 6:30 - 54 hrs layover - wonderful.

if you want rain, stay @ home.

i wish BA a lot of revenue - i want them to stay in the market. alive. they fly whereever they can make some money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.