Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat selection business class with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:03 am
Original Poster

i wont be flying on BA metal until this trip. i checked to see about cancelling and rebooking on a different airline but the price is 50% more at least. I will bite the bullet and pay another $2k to secure seats together. Funny how i was telling my wife that if the cost of the tickets was simply $2k more i wouldn't complain, but the fact that i have to pay $2k to select seats upsets me!

Originally Posted by jbfield
He'll still need 2 BA coded flights which might be hard to come by if starting in the USA and not crossing the Atlantic.
Or IB flights, and the OP stated he does 2 or 3 tranatlantics per year.

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by omaralt
can i still get it for this trip that is in september?

flying one AA flight and two BA flights (PHL-LHR-GVA) each way.. i currently have the ticket being credited to my AA count but if i change it to my BA account will i be able to select seats at no charge?
For Silver (oneworld sapphire) you'll need 4 segments on BA marketed or operated flights.
For Bronze (oneworld ruby) you'll nedd 2 segments on BA marketed or operated flights - though Bronze will only give you a free seat selection 7 days before the flight.
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To earn Silver you need four BA flights and 600 tier points. Doing that in two months is not really possible for OP. And Bronze with 300 tier points and two BA flights gives you seat selection a week out. I'd not bother.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:07 am
HAF

I am an AS MVP G and I was able to assign seats for free for my upcoming CE/CW trip with BA - booked with AS miles. But I would never ever spend my hard earned money to buy a business class ticket on BA - It is a disgrace charging for assigning seats in business class - which other airline charges extra money to assign seats in business class?

In addition - sub par business class experience hard and soft product are way below industry standard and not improving fast enough - and airport / lounge experience is terrible (see LCA lounge thread for example)
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:07 am

i wont be flying on BA metal until this trip. i checked to see about cancelling and rebooking on a different airline but the price is 50% more at least. I will bite the bullet and pay another $2k to secure seats together. Funny how i was telling my wife that if the cost of the tickets was simply $2k more i wouldn't complain, but the fact that i have to pay $2k to select seats upsets me!
If you have an AA account oneworld sapphire will be good enough.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HAF
I am an AS MVP G and I was able to assign seats for free for my upcoming CE/CW trip with BA - booked with AS miles. But I would never ever spend my hard earned money to buy a business class ticket on BA - It is a disgrace charging for assigning seats in business class - which other airline charges extra money to assign seats in business class?

In addition - sub par business class experience hard and soft product are way below industry standard and not improving fast enough - and airport / lounge experience is terrible (see LCA lounge thread for example)
i agree with you 100%. However, I think BA realizes that and they price their J class accordingly. I paid $12.5k for 6 J class tickets from TPA to GVA. The next cheapest option on a different airline was more than double that cost. The cheapest economy tickets were $7k. so for an extra ~$900/person it was well worth it to go from economy to business IMO simply for a flat seat, priority checkin/security, and lounge access.

I will say that last month i was booked on a AA fare from MIA-LHR and my incoming flight was delayed so they put me on the BA A350 from MIA-LHR and i was blown away by that business class seat. One of the better ones i have ever flown. So hoping they'll start upgrading all their planes
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will say that last month i was booked on a AA fare from MIA-LHR and my incoming flight was delayed so they put me on the BA A350 from MIA-LHR and i was blown away by that business class seat. One of the better ones i have ever flown. So hoping they'll start upgrading all their planes
Did you credit that flight to AA (or Alaska)? If so, would you now have some status with AA / AS? Anything above Ruby (AA Gold) gives you seat selection rights of some sort.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I think you get free seat selection if you have a lap infant on the reservation. According to the BA site:
When you travel with an infant (under 2) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own, you can choose a seat for yourself and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).
That could be an interesting hack: paying the extra charge for a made-up lap infant to get free seat selection The lap infant might cost less than $2k...
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
I think you get free seat selection if you have a lap infant on the reservation. According to the BA site: That could be an interesting hack: paying the extra charge for a made-up lap infant to get free seat selection The lap infant might cost less than $2k...
You can also currently put the infant ticket in for a FTV just before travel/OLCI for a future reservation. The only snag would be getting the seats assigned to hold in for the return portion of the journey. Same would apply if you travelled without your lap infant as they will be considered a no-show.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Start a status challenge with AA and pay the extra to get Platnium status upfront. You will probably need to remove your AA number from the reservation and then add it again after you begin the challenge. You should be able to select the seats for free and earn status from this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.