Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport never works at eGates?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I skipped the e-Gates at EDI last week by simply telling the assistant that mine doesn't work. BF agent was fine, no questions asked - I've given up asking about why I'm rejected or indeed volunteering any information other than a pleasant good morning/hi there.
My most recent experience the agent didn’t say a single word to me. I said my usual “hi how are you?” and was met with a blank stare. So after he swiped my passport I proceeded to ask if there was any indication why it isn’t working on the eGates but got no reply. He taps the keyboard 10 or so times and then hands my passport back to me without ever saying a word.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Arrived back into LHR T5 yesterday and after enduring a 1 hour wait for the eGates (all EU pax were being sent to eGates only) I then got the dreaded "seek assistance" and had an additional 1 hour 30 mins wait for an officer. Meanwhile my partner was sat in the Costa in arrivals for an hour and half waiting for me as they went through the eGates all OK. All very frustrating.

I've travelled upwards of 30 times on this passport and it's never worked at the Heathrow eGates. I always ask the officer why and they say there is nothing wrong at their end and I must have "put it in wrong". It was issued in 2016 and has one of those very thin and flimsy photo pages. Up until now I've not really been that bothered but with the increased wait times due to COVID-19 does anyone have any suggestions? Can I ask the passport office to replace it? Bizarrely, it's always worked in the eGates I've used in other countries (and I have global entry in the US and it's always worked for that too).
Arriving at LHR T3 last month, went to the eGate, and tried my UK passport 2 times, with an error (it's always worked before, but is almost 10 years old now), so swapped to my US passport, which worked perfectly first time.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by toofast
Arriving at LHR T3 last month, went to the eGate, and tried my UK passport 2 times, with an error (it's always worked before, but is almost 10 years old now), so swapped to my US passport, which worked perfectly first time.
I think I'll be in a similar position in a couple of weeks time.

I'm arriving T2 from IST and will try my 9-year old UK passport (expect fail), and then my brand new Aussie passport if the UK passport fails.

Will be interesting....
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
I think I'll be in a similar position in a couple of weeks time.

I'm arriving T2 from IST and will try my 9-year old UK passport (expect fail), and then my brand new Aussie passport if the UK passport fails.

Will be interesting....
Just have your Aussie passport in your pocket ready to go in-case the UK one fails. I had to fumble around in my bag for my US passport, as I wasn't expecting to need it.

I also have an Aussie passport too, which I can confirm works at the eGates at Heathrow from previous visits.
Grace B likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:05 am

Completely forgot to post about this...

Despite never working in the UK (seems it doesn't matter which airport), my passport worked perfectly in Helsinki. I can only assume I'm on some sort of list here, as I know the chip works perfectly.

Properly tedious. Took 45 mins to get to the "seek assistance" security a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
Completely forgot to post about this...

Despite never working in the UK (seems it doesn't matter which airport), my passport worked perfectly in Helsinki. I can only assume I'm on some sort of list here, as I know the chip works perfectly.

Properly tedious. Took 45 mins to get to the "seek assistance" security a couple of weeks ago.
Did they ask any unusual questions when you got to talk to someone, or give any indication what the issue was?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
As someone who is routinely rejected by the UK's eGates, normally it's straight through no questions asked (once without saying a single word to me). Sometimes they ask me where I'm arriving from. I must have appeared suspicious once or twice, because I was asked my occupation and if I was living in London - or perhaps they were just making small talk while waiting for the computer to process my passport, who knows.

I always ask if they can see any reason why the eGate failed, and to that I've been told maybe the gate I used was faulty, maybe I didn't hold my passport correctly, maybe I didn't look at the camera correctly, etc. Other people posting here have been told that their name is similar to someone Border Force is interested in, but I've never been told that.

On my most recent attempt, she very nonchalantly said my appearance may have changed since the passport photo was taken. That threw me a bit... have I aged so much the eGates can't tell it's the same person anymore!? Although eGates in other countries still recognise me ok, so I'm refusing to believe that one!
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Well I'm amazed.

I entered the UK at Heathrow twice this week (T2 and T5) and my 9 year old passport worked flawlessly (for a change).

I wonder if UKBF have tweaked their software/systems to be more intelligent.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think the nine year old passport is the difference. Mines worked fine before I got a new one. Never worked once in Heathrow since.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
My 1 year old passport has failed 9 out 9 times at LHR and BF Officer can’t explain it. I’ve bitten the bullet, legged it down to Newport (which had a next day appointment), paid Ł157 for fast track jumbo passport which arrived Monday (7 day turnaround exactly on SLA). If it doesn’t fix the problem upon my return to UK on November 5th I will be mad.

no probs with the Passport Office interview btw, she said why replacing so soon and I just said Bf suggested it.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Did someone say there was an app to read the rfid on the passport to confirm that it seems about right?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smid
Did someone say there was an app to read the rfid on the passport to confirm that it seems about right?
Yes. ReadID Me
Smid likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Smid
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Yes. ReadID Me
You can also use the now voluntary ArriveCAN app, which was part of Canada's response to Covid. It has a "scan your passport" process early on and it shows you what it picks up.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:40 pm

I eventually get through with my UK passport but every time I have used the eGates it takes multiple attempts to get it to authenticate and I'm never sure what to do if it gets stuck in an infinite loop. I assume there is a method to call someone if that happens.

I also have a US passport so I may try that on the next trip. Not sure if there is a benefit to using one vs the other.

Just tried the Read ID me app mentioned above and that seems to suggest the passport is fine.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by T8191
My wife's new-ish passport doesn't like the LGW gates. After several attempts, and a 'helper' getting her to use other machines, it was the walk of shame and inconvenience to the Desk. After scanning there, he just said "You have a temperamental Passport'" ... Gee, thanks.
... and yesterday at LHR, in Connections, AGAIN it refused to work.

I assume there is some mechanism to get it replaced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.